Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 07:41 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,622,906 times

Advertisements

Thats all I have to say on that,,I am keeping it quiet "THIS TIME"<and maybe add a prayer or two--then maybe our luck will change,the curse will lift,goats will be welcome in Illinois again,and all will be right with the world PS My husband and son have to wash /iron the Sox jerseys/shirts .I dont do Sox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 07:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
As weak as the NL is, they have half a chance to make it to the World Series, where they're likely to get crushed by whatever AL powerhouse they face. Then again, that's what everyone thought of the Cardinals last season.

I tried to talk a friend of mine into driving down to Cincinnati today. He said he had "prior obligations." Some Cubs fan he is.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:59 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,806,514 times
Once you are in ....anyone has a chance. The Cardinals won over 100 games in each of the two previous years prior to their 10th World Championship last season, and had been the best team in the division for most of the previous 10 plus years and didn't win the World Series in any of those years for a variety of reasons...but they won it last season without the same record.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:09 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,870,181 times
Baseball is a very unpredictable sport. It's anyone guess on who will win the World Series, but something tells me that the Chicago Cubs won't. They still have a long road ahead of them so keep those fingers and toes crossed. They were in this position just 4 years ago. I have relative born and buried that never saw the Cubs win a World Series. Thank God, Dusty is gone. They have a decent team and Lou is a good coach. I am so sick of the "lovable losers' and "maybe next year" mantra. I think it's pathetic that the Cubs and the Sox for that matter, go as long as they do in between World Series wins. The Cubs have all of this money, a huge NATIONAL fan base and seem to never get their act together. It drives me crazy. The goal of any MLB team is to win the World Series. A division championship is beans. My immigrant grandfather moved to Chicago not knowing what baseball even was and became a HUGE Cubs fan. He lived for that team, even moving his family to Wrigleyville when it was a dumpy, crime filled poor neighbhorhood so he could live close to the "shrine". He died in his 80's, never seeing them win a World Series and that causes me a degree of resentement. I'm in sales and it means squat being the 2nd or 3rd or 5th sales rep of the year. In my lifetime of 40+ years, the Cubs have done nothing but cause me great anxiety, sadness and frustration. Other than listening to their games on AM720 or watching them on TV, I won't give them one red cent of my hard earned money to see them continously fail year after year after year. I could fit my condo into one of their player's garages and I'm not going to subsidize a group of professional balllplayers that can't produce a World Series trophy. They acted last night like they had accomplished some big feat. Sadly, for the Cubs, I suppose they did. I can only hope that the sale of the team may produce better results. The Wrigely organization has produced nothing for Cubs fans. Nothing. I would rather have a team that plays in a corragated steel building and win a World Series than be mesmorized by the ballpark's atmoshphere and perpetually fail. For me, the ivy, bleachers and beer garden atmosphere isn't cutting it anymore. If they don't win this year, I'm done with them.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
As weak as the NL is, they have half a chance to make it to the World Series, where they're likely to get crushed by whatever AL powerhouse they face. Then again, that's what everyone thought of the Cardinals last season.

I tried to talk a friend of mine into driving down to Cincinnati today. He said he had "prior obligations." Some Cubs fan he is.
If for some reason they did make it to the NLCS, it would probably be against AZ, which theyd promptly lose. WS? Impossible with this team. They cant swing a bat if their lives depended on it. And if for some bizarre, funked up reason they do make it to the WS? Like you said, it would probably be against LA, BOS or NY, which theyd positively be annihilated. With that being said....

GO CUBS

Old 09-29-2007, 08:17 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,864 times
Not a Cubs fan, but I would remain neutral if they made it to the WS....

Nah, I hope they reach their unspoken goal of '100 years of tears'. It is going to happen.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:52 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,870,181 times
I hope they make it too. Their fans have been waiting a LONG time.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 AM

77 posts, read 300,878 times
Hoping they make it interesting since the Bears are choking.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,243 times
Just one year ago today, who'd a thunk it:

Tickets ... for the League Championship Series at the Wrigley Field ticket office or Tickets.Co outlets. Information regarding potential "Game Four" NLCS tickets and tickets for the 2007 World Series would be released at a later date. If you have questions, please call the Cubs at 404-2827.

Just reading this feels sooooo good!!!!! Could you imagine Cubbies vs. Yanks???!!!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,094,659 times
So they aren't Completely Useless By September this year. I've been told as a Sox fan I'm not allowed to cheer for them, but if they get there, I will anyways. I hope they pull it off, but I'm not holding my breath (or currently watching the games for that matter ... but if they get to the world series I will).

Being that the Bears are getting off to a rough start, and we won't even discuss the current abysmal condition of the Sox, at least someone is doing well for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago