Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times

Advertisements

The article makes some good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Black folks weren't pushed out by white people gentrifying their neighborhoods nearly so much as high-rise public housing buildings were demolished and not replaced in the City limits.
Right, but who do you think is going to live in the places where the public housing used to be? It's still gentrification, albeit with a major assist from the city government.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:30 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Black folks weren't pushed out by white people gentrifying their neighborhoods nearly so much as high-rise public housing buildings were demolished and not replaced in the City limits.
A lot of black people aren't being 'pushed out'. They are simply moving to places like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 PM

84 posts, read 192,994 times
Hmm..I was just thinking about moving from Houston to Chicago. Now reading that article makes me feel quite confused. Should I just stay where I am, go somewhere else or continue on with my move....

Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I've followed the Urbanophile for quite some time now. I found this article particularly disturbing in light of the fact that he was still pretty bullish on Chicago just a few short years ago. Apparently he's observed some things that made him change his mind.
He accepted a job in NY, had a hard time selling his condo, that's when things changed.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:

But IMO he's not even right on the demographic shift.

Agreed. The removal of public housing killed off a lot of businesses, and some areas that had been seeing population loss (outside of the projects) saw a drastic increase in population after the projects were closed. They basically passed a tipping point and have become almost ghost towns.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
Hmm..I was just thinking about moving from Houston to Chicago. Now reading that article makes me feel quite confused. Should I just stay where I am, go somewhere else or continue on with my move....
I really wouldn't put all your thoughts into what one jaded person writes in a blog.

I've been here 11 years now and while the economy is bad (like everywhere), most of the city looks and seems to be chugging along just fine. New construction going up, the loop looks and acts the same, infrastructure is always being replaced and upgraded. There are a few financial things the city and especially the state needs to focus on, but the article is looking only at the worst of the worst statistics.

I really don't see how the loop lost almost 20% of its jobs since 2000. There are a dozen new office buildings with 10 million square feet going up since 2000.

Looking at this source, he's really skewing things. It's only looking at the specific .5 square mile Loop and talking about private sector office jobs. It's not taking into account how things have deflated out into river north and the west loop, etc. as more housing has moved into the heart of the loop itself along with new retail and hotel conversions of older office space. There has also been a consolidation and increase in the number of public sector jobs within the heart of the loop.

If the loop lost 20% of its jobs and added 10 million square feet of office space, he's talking like the place is 33% or more vacant. Obviously that's not true in any way. The people aren't gone, it's just the space has been rebranded, moved around, etc.

He's really cherry picking a lot of those stats.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 06-11-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
You're asking a pretty biased crowd, but you couldn't pay me enough to live in Houston over Chicago, unless it was to avoid being homeless.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
He accepted a job in NY, had a hard time selling his condo, that's when things changed.
Hmm... probably wants his new friends to like him. At lot of people in the Northeast like bashing Chicago - but have only really done so since the city started appearing on some critical mass of Northeasterners' radars. It's some sort of odd chest-beating ritual.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Did he buy a condo in NY, too? I hope he doesn't have to move anytime soon, or he's going to find out that they're hard to sell there, too. Maybe then he'll write about NY's downfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago