Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,280,940 times

Advertisements

Our guests are buying a 3 day CTA pass to get around the city while visiting. They plan on taking their bikes on the "el" and using their bikes and the trains to get around. One leg of their journey has them biking from Navy Pier to Museum of Science and Industry and then they want to bike down 55th/Garfield to pick up the Green Line back to downtown. It's been a while since I've been down in that area and I remember it is a smidge rough around the edges around Michigan and Indiana and Garfield. But I believe that is west of the Green Line. What advice do you all have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,505,946 times
If this were me and I was advising members of my family from Toronto (and I have several), I'd probably suggest that they take one of the busses to the Loop that can be found at the Museum of Science of Industry, or nearby on Stoney Island. I wouldn't suggest they head for the "El" station. There's a Metra station at Hyde Park, but I don't know the schedule (though you can find it online). www.transitchicago.com will get you the bus information.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
Washington Park isn't a great area. I am not so sure they want to bike through that, honestly.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM

209 posts, read 591,151 times
I would advise your friends to pass on trying to use the Green Line for their return trip downtown and just ride their bikes back. After they've been off their bikes for awhile at the museum, they should be plenty rested for the return trip. If that's too much biking, then I agree that they should take a bus or the Metra train to Hyde Park. The area around the Green Line stop at Garfield is more desolate than anything else, but any group of people who look/sound like tourists will stick out like a sore thumb and are just inviting trouble.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM

537 posts, read 1,036,726 times
Definitely just ride back on the path, it's like 7 miles

Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
I would agree with the others about tourists looking out of place on the greenline. If they don't feel strong enough to ride back to the Loop I would recommend using a CTA #10 MSI bus or a #6 Jackson Park Express or even the Metra Electric ...

Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,280,940 times
Thanks, you all are echoing my initial thoughts. I just didn't want to be a "paranoid, sheltered suburbanite" but rather a street smart one.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
Default Oh come now...

...whoever would make such accusations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Thanks, you all are echoing my initial thoughts. I just didn't want to be a "paranoid, sheltered suburbanite" but rather a street smart one.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,290,244 times
Ride back along the lake or take one of the buses directly out of Hyde Park.

That is not a good idea at all to ride their bikes to the green line. Even if the don't get lost. If they do get lost, miss the stop, etc., keep heading west, south, etc., it would not be good. Although it might be potentially funny to hear about.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,187,299 times
They're not actually likely to encounter issues doing that, but if they want to take the Green Line back and they're on their bike anyway, it's only 3 blocks further (which is nothing on a bike) to go to 63rd/Cottage Grove, which is the end of the line. That area is still a far cry from being mistaken for Lincoln Park, but is more stable and less desolate than their original option. I assume they will carry and know how to read a map, or have a phone with mapping capabilities.

Seriously, I don't think they should just give up and take a bus or ride back along the Lakefront. It's nice for people to see more of the city, and there's definitely more to see in Hyde Park than just the Museum of Science and Industry.

Here's my recommendation:

Take 57th to Ellis, where they can see the Mansueto Library (a glass dome over a below-ground book collection, all computerized) contrasting with the attached, brutalist Regenstein Library. They can't go in, but it's nice.

If it's not after 5pm yet, they can take Ellis north one block to 56th, and 56th one short block east to Greenwood Ave where they can see the Smart Museum of Art. It's small and free and nice. Then take 56th one more short block east to University Ave, then two full blocks south on University to 58th St, and one block east to Woodlawn.

Then whether or not it's after 5pm, they can make their way to the corner of 58th and Woodlawn, where they can see Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House. It costs money for a tour, but you can see the outside and/or gift shop.

Across the street and a little south down the block is the beautiful Rockefeller Chapel, named for the major benefactor of the university. It's worth a peek if they like Gothic architecture. Then they can make their way over to University Ave and 58th Street (just the other side of the block the Chapel is on) and see the main quad for the University of Chicago and all their gothic architecture. Many people love this part of the campus - it's more or less what defines the University for many people and one of the better examples of gothic academic buildings outside of Europe.

Finally, they can make their way over to Cottage Grove (about 2-3 blocks west from the main quad) and either head south to 63rd and Cottage Grove for the Green Line, or first go north a few blocks to check out the Dusable Museum (Cottage Grove and 57th), one of the best African-American art museums in the world and then head back down to 63rd after that.

That makes for a very full day, they get to see a lot more of Chicago than just the primary tourist items, and they get a much stronger feel of just how much more there is to Chicago than just the Loop and lakefront. Scaring them away from explore a bit more of Hyde Park is unnecessary and prevents them from a fuller cultural experience.

ALTERNATELY (or, if they have time and inclination, in addition to) they could ride north from the Museum of Science and Industry on Hyde Park Boulevard to 51st (which is also named Hyde Park Boulevard where they meet), then take that west to Greenwood Ave to see the Secret Service and CPD in action protecting President Obama's house, then continue west on 51st to the Green Line station there. That takes then along housing on one side instead of just through Washington Park, so it's a little less threatening, and I frequently see tourists get off at 51st to see Obama's place, so I doubt they'd even be the only tourists there.

FINALLY, you may want to remind them that the CTA does not allow bikes on trains during rush hour (you can check the CTA's website for exact hours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago