Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 7,830 times

Advertisements

I have to relocate, due to my job reassigning me to a position in Chicago. My rental budget max is $1850/month, however, I'd prefer to spend no more than $1,500/month in rent on a one bedroom/one bath apt. My must-haves include the following: Washer machine/dryer within the unit, a modern kitchen w/updated appliances (since I luv to cook a lot of gourmet dishes) , a relatively safe living environment, a whole foods, trader joes, or Harris teeter grocery store within walking distance, and of course, close proximity to public transporation to commute to my office on N. Michigan Avenue. Ideally, I'd like to be no more than 15 minutes away by train, to ensure a very short and quick commute.

I'm not really sure which neighborhood I should target and it's becoming a bit overwhelming. Here's a little info. about me:

I'm a 28 year old African American professional woman. I want to live close to nice amenities, excluding bars and clubs, because I don't really care for loud music or the drinking crowd. I spoke with a friend and he mentioned, Hyde Park. To my knowledge a lot of established/educated black people reside in that community. I'm just wondering about the commute and whether this community will be a good fit.

I'm really trying to narrow my apt. search down to no more than 2-3 neighborhoods in Chicago.

Please Help! -Thanks

Last edited by Carrie2121; 07-09-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2121 View Post
I have to relocate, due to my job reassigning me to a position in Chicago. My rental budget max is $1850/month, however, I'd prefer to spend no more than $1,500/month in rent on a one bedroom/one bath apt. My must-haves include the following: Washer machine/dryer within the unit, a modern kitchen w/updated appliances (since I luv to cook a lot of gourmet dishes) , a relatively safe living environment, a whole foods, trader joes, or Harris teeter grocery store within walking distance, and of course, close proximity to public transporation to commute to my office on N. Michigan Avenue. Ideally, I'd like to be no more than 15 minutes away by train, to ensure a very short and quick commute.

I'm not really sure which neighborhood I should target and it's becoming a bit overwhelming. Here's a little info. about me:

I'm a 28 year old African American professional woman. I want to live close to nice amenities, excluding bars and clubs, because I don't really care for loud music or the drinking crowd. I spoke with a friend and he mentioned, Hyde Park. To my knowledge a lot of established/educated black people reside in that community. I'm just wondering about the commute.

Please Help! -Thanks
1) The rental market in Chicago is very hot right now. That means you might not get everything you want. Washer/Dryer in unit? If you want that, you either find a nice duplex to rent, or a nice condo to rent. In my experience, usually what you want is within unit it's a more expensive place.

I think maybe The Tides in Lakeshore East might be what you want. I think it's around $1500/month for a 1 bedroom. Probably some other stuff in Lakeshore East, although it's a little more expensive. Maybe some stuff in the South Loop too of course. If you were there, you could walk to work depending where on Michigan Ave you are, or take a semi short bus ride. The area is pretty quiet. Some restaurants in the area, but overall not loud. It's a stone's throw away from River North which has a ton of bars and clubs too if you ever want to go out.

2) Harris Teeter is only a Southern/Eastern seaboard thing. We have none of those here in that case. There are a few Whole Foods here, mainly in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, River North, and Printers Row/South Loop. Trader Joe's is in River North, Lincoln Park, North Center/Lakeview, South Loop.

3) Where on N. Michigan Ave? The street is a few miles long.

Hyde Park is not bad place. It's quiet, but you will need to take the Metra train to the Loop if you want a 15 minute commute. However, if you live in Hyde Park you will not be having direct access Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and most likely not in unit washer/dryer except at a few places or if you maybe found a house/duplex/triplex instead. Furthermore, the Metra line is at the far eastern end of the neighborhood near the Lake, so you'd have to live across the street from the stop if you wanted a 15 minute commute (actually it would take 20 maybe between walking to the station and getting to the Loop). Anywhere else you'd have to walk or take a bus to it. There's no El that goes through HP. The nearest is is in Washington Park, but Washington Park is not a safe neighborhood. Taking a bus from HP to the Loop takes awhile too.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) The rental market in Chicago is very hot right now. That means you might not get everything you want. Washer/Dryer in unit? If you want that, you either find a nice duplex to rent, or a nice condo to rent. In my experience, usually what you want is within unit it's a more expensive place.

I think maybe The Tides in Lakeshore East might be what you want. I think it's around $1500/month for a 1 bedroom. Probably some other stuff in Lakeshore East, although it's a little more expensive. Maybe some stuff in the South Loop too of course. If you were there, you could walk to work depending where on Michigan Ave you are, or take a semi short bus ride. The area is pretty quiet. Some restaurants in the area, but overall not loud. It's a stone's throw away from River North which has a ton of bars and clubs too if you ever want to go out.

2) Harris Teeter is only a Southern/Eastern seaboard thing. We have none of those here in that case. There are a few Whole Foods here, mainly in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, River North, and Printers Row/South Loop. Trader Joe's is in River North, Lincoln Park, North Center/Lakeview, South Loop.

3) Where on N. Michigan Ave? The street is a few miles long.

Hyde Park is not bad place. It's quiet, but you will need to take the Metra train to the Loop if you want a 15 minute commute. However, if you live in Hyde Park you will not be having direct access Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and most likely not in unit washer/dryer except at a few places or if you maybe found a house/duplex/triplex instead. Furthermore, the Metra line is at the far eastern end of the neighborhood near the Lake, so you'd have to live across the street from the stop if you wanted a 15 minute commute (actually it would take 20 maybe between walking to the station and getting to the Loop). Anywhere else you'd have to walk or take a bus to it. There's no El that goes through HP. The nearest is is in Washington Park, but Washington Park is not a safe neighborhood. Taking a bus from HP to the Loop takes awhile too.
Thank you for all of the great information. I want to be close to a good grocery chain, since I frequently crave lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Also, I'd prefer a washer/dryer in my unit. I just can't imagine lugging my clothes to the ground level of an apt complex. It would seem a bit too much like my college years, which are long gone.
--------
The commute will probably be the greatest factor that influences my rental decision. I can't really see myself compromising on the commute. I'm trying to keep it at 15 minutes max. My office is along N Michigan, in the 200s, (no need to give out my complete work address ).

Also, I should have mentioned that I want to reside in a diverse community. So, I'm leaning towards Hyde Park, but I don't like the idea of having to rent an entire house, since I will be the only inhabitant.

Thanks again!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
15 minutes door to door? That's a near impossibility unless you live a few blocks from work and walk. 15 minutes on transit (plus waiting for train, and walking at both ends) also doable.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2121 View Post
Thank you for all of the great information. I want to be close to a good grocery chain, since I frequently crave lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Also, I'd prefer a washer/dryer in my unit. I just can't imagine lugging my clothes to the ground level of an apt complex. It would seem a bit too much like my college years, which are long gone.
--------
The commute will probably be the greatest factor that influences my rental decision. I can't really see myself compromising on the commute. I'm trying to keep it at 15 minutes max. My office is along N Michigan, in the 200s, (no need to give out my complete work address ).

Also, I should have mentioned that I want to reside in a diverse community. So, I'm leaning towards Hyde Park, but I don't like the idea of having to rent an entire house, since I will be the only inhabitant.

Thanks again!
200 block of N michigan is nice because it's near the State and Lake and Lake Red Line stops. First off, I wouldn't be too worried about lugging your laundry down the elevator. There are a lot of buildings with the same thing. Nobody cares about it. If you're really that up on it though, I would recommend looking at newer buildings in either the Lakeshore East area, South Loop, or Streeterville areas for that. If you live in Lakeshore East, the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's is not that far away.

Also, we have Dominick's which is a good grocery chain that is spread throughout the city. There is also Jewel-Osco, but that is not as good a quality as a Dominick's.

If you live in Lakeshore East area, you could probably walk to work. It's very close to where you would be working. If you were in South Loop, you could take the Red Line and it's only a few stops away. If Streeterville, you could walk to work too or it would be a short bus ride.

Other areas might be East Ukrainian Village/Wicker Park area. There are some nice modern duplexes and remodeled houses. You could probably have in unit washer/dryer there. It's on the blue line and would probably be 10 minutes from the Division Blue Line stop to Clark/Lake stop. Up closer to Wicker Park or Bucktown would be a few minutes longer than that. From there you'd have to walk a few blocks over.

Again though, keep in mind about the hot market. You might be able to get close to work but you might have to compromise in unit washer/dryer. I would say less places have in unit than you'd think, and they're usually in the newer high rises in Lakeshore East, South Loop, and Streeterville (as well as West Loop) and maybe some remodeled/modern houses/duplexes in an area west like Ukrainian Village or Wicker Park. River North as well, but keep in mind for all these places, they're generally newer places (or nicer) and thus more expensive if you want the in-unit W/D.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
15 minutes door to door? That's a near impossibility unless you live a few blocks from work and walk. 15 minutes on transit (plus waiting for train, and walking at both ends) also doable.
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but not easy especially given the rental market right now. Her work address is in the 200 block of N Michigan, which is a short walk from the Red Line. I agree about the walking part, but it is possible. My ride from Gold Coast to State/Lake red line stop is 8 minutes including walking to the station *NOT INCLUDING WAIT TIME FOR THE TRAIN*. Add walking into that after the stop, and it would become under 15 still.

I think 15 is rather short though too. I'd give a high buffer of 25 minutes in case of missing the transit, walking, waiting, etc. Then it's much more doable.

As you said, 15 would have to pretty much be within walking distance or 1 or 2 train stops away, and you'd have to live right near the train station you get on at too for a short walk.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,843,555 times
With your budget you can pretty much live in any neighborhood. I am not sure where the best area is for a african american women such as yourself. Take race out of the picture and it sounds like south loop would be my first choice. If you like quiet "adult" type of neighborhoods it certainly fits the mold. Also, there is a whole foods close by "1101 S. Canal St Suite 107 Chicago, IL 60607". You will be around young families or older 20 somethings. Again, I am just not sure about race though. If your looking for other african americans.

I would also recommend you check out old town. Its an adult type of area, not known for its bar scene. It also is close trader joes and a whole foods (sort of). 1550 N Kingsbury St Chicago, IL 60642.

One IMPORTANT thing to know: Do you plan on owning a car?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,448,018 times
You can afford to live anywhere in the city. Hyde Park is great but the commute on the 6 bus will be more like 30 minutes (I'm not exactly sure how long it takes).

Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
200 block of N michigan is nice because it's near the State and Lake and Lake Red Line stops. First off, I wouldn't be too worried about lugging your laundry down the elevator. There are a lot of buildings with the same thing. Nobody cares about it. If you're really that up on it though, I would recommend looking at newer buildings in either the Lakeshore East area, South Loop, or Streeterville areas for that. If you live in Lakeshore East, the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's is not that far away.

Also, we have Dominick's which is a good grocery chain that is spread throughout the city. There is also Jewel-Osco, but that is not as good a quality as a Dominick's.

If you live in Lakeshore East area, you could probably walk to work. It's very close to where you would be working. If you were in South Loop, you could take the Red Line and it's only a few stops away. If Streeterville, you could walk to work too or it would be a short bus ride.

Other areas might be East Ukrainian Village/Wicker Park area. There are some nice modern duplexes and remodeled houses. You could probably have in unit washer/dryer there. It's on the blue line and would probably be 10 minutes from the Division Blue Line stop to Clark/Lake stop. Up closer to Wicker Park or Bucktown would be a few minutes longer than that. From there you'd have to walk a few blocks over.

Again though, keep in mind about the hot market. You might be able to get close to work but you might have to compromise in unit washer/dryer. I would say less places have in unit than you'd think, and they're usually in the newer high rises in Lakeshore East, South Loop, and Streeterville (as well as West Loop) and maybe some remodeled/modern houses/duplexes in an area west like Ukrainian Village or Wicker Park. River North as well, but keep in mind for all these places, they're generally newer places (or nicer) and thus more expensive if you want the in-unit W/D.
I looked at online photos of the 'tides' apartment complex. It's a lovely new building, but I really don't see myself paying $1850 for a 590sq ft apartment. It just seems like a waste of money for such a very small space. I'm beginning to grow tired of viewing apts online. It seems as if the better apts (next to my *soon to be* office location) are at the top of my price range, and the crazy part is, they don't even have an in unit washer/dryer and the kitchens tend to be a bit outdated (black appliances, white cabinets), instead of stainless steel appliances and dark or natural wood cabinets with granite countertops. I love to entertain, so I really need the right type of space.

Perhaps I should avoid the new highrise buildings, due to their relatively small spaces and focus on a loft or nice brownstone unit. Which communities have nice renovated brownstone 1 bedroom apts, with hardwood floors, renovated kitchens and in unit washer/dryers? Should I focus primarily on Wicker park, Hyde Park and the West loop? Also, do you think I will be able to stay within my low end price range of 1500, or will I need to just accept the fact that I will have to pay at least 1850/month to get the type of brownstone rental unit that I want?

Perhaps I should just go with a broker, since this requires so much work.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You can afford to live anywhere in the city. Hyde Park is great but the commute on the 6 bus will be more like 30 minutes (I'm not exactly sure how long it takes).
If you're working in the 200 block of N. MIchigan and want to live in Hyde Park, you can easily take the Metra Electric train from eastern Hyde Park to the terminal Millennium Station (it's main entrances are at 150 N Michigan). East Hyde Park has easy access to the Lake, and is more urban than the western portions, and has some bigger apartment buildings.

I'm not sure about the grocery stores available in Hyde Park, but there is a really nice grocery basically across the street from the Millennium Station if you take the Metra Electric commuter line to/from work that would be easy to shop at. And if you have a car, it doesn't take too long to get from Hyde Park to the South Loop where there's a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago