Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM

87 posts, read 163,969 times

Advertisements

I am finding that I will have to grab the BNSF metra on a Friday around 6pm ish at one of these stations - Cicero, LaVerngne, Berwyn, Harlem. I am heading to Aurora. Are they safe to be standing around waiting for a train? Any one better than the others? Or am I being ridiculous and should not worry? I have access to the pdf sched for BNSF so I know the times - other than that anything else you can add that I may need to know would be appreciated ! I would like to catch the train at Cicero - but if the ones farther west are safer.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 05:24 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
All are safe but the farther west you go would be perceived safer but at 6pm on a Friday there are still going to be commuters coming and getting off at Cicero so it probably won't be unsafe either. I used to take the train from Berwyn everyday and loved it.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Let me quickly interject another question. Where do I stand? I ask this because...although I have been on the metra before, it is easy for a newbee to miss the train. Case in point - one station (Franklin Park? MD-W) I was at...I was headed downtown. I stood on the north side. There were I believe 3 tracks. I saw the train coming from the west. I noticed that some (not all) of the folks waiting walked across the first track to stand next to the middle track. I thought that was crazy. As the train got closer, I could tell the train was on the first track in front of me, so I knew I was okay. When the train stopped and I noticed nobody was getting off or on, I realized that everyone was getting off and on ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRAIN, not the side I was on - the side where the waiting station was. And it was too late (and probably not safe) for me to sprint around the end of the train to try to get on the other side.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM

185 posts, read 594,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
Let me quickly interject another question. Where do I stand? I ask this because...although I have been on the metra before, it is easy for a newbee to miss the train. Case in point - one station (Franklin Park? MD-W) I was at...I was headed downtown. I stood on the north side. There were I believe 3 tracks. I saw the train coming from the west. I noticed that some (not all) of the folks waiting walked across the first track to stand next to the middle track. I thought that was crazy. As the train got closer, I could tell the train was on the first track in front of me, so I knew I was okay. When the train stopped and I noticed nobody was getting off or on, I realized that everyone was getting off and on ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRAIN, not the side I was on - the side where the waiting station was. And it was too late (and probably not safe) for me to sprint around the end of the train to try to get on the other side.
If there is no clear signage, do what everyone else is doing. If it seems crazy, ask someone, why are you crossing the track? Are you going to catch that train that's coming from the West?

Or do a dry run. If you are starting a new job on Monday, go down the previous Friday and observe where the trains stop, where the entrance to the station is, where the bus stops, where the parking is, etc. Unfortunately, in some places the signs are bad or placed so you don't see them, so you just kind of got to know. Having someone else around who is experienced helps, but if you are all alone, you have to flip a coin.

By the way, I enjoy this sign that is on the Rock Island 35th Street Station. If you don't notice it as you enter the station, you'll be screwed.

This won't help in the situation you described, but one rule to remember is that the trains on the three UP lines run on the left side and the Rock Island switches sides midday.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
If they haven't changed anything at Cicero you will board westbound on the north track. You cannot cross the tracks here (it is too dangerous and illegal if they haven't installed a signal to do so) and you will miss your train if you are on the wrong side. Go early and watch the trains coming from the Loop they will be on the north track and that is where you need to be. When I rode, few people got off at Cicero and some would get on. There should be others around.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:46 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I used to regularly take the BNSF and would conisder all of those stops to be safe -- particularly during the day.

The specifics of boarding I'll have to leave to others!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
there are no center stations at any of these stops so thats not an issue...the center tracks in this area will all be express trains not stopping. on the BNSF the south side of the tracks is always inbound, north side is outbound. just use the skyline as your barometer...thats obviously east.

the cicero stop is rundown and barebones but you shouldnt have any problems. theres no ticket counter there, so you wont be charged a penalty if you need to buy a ticket on the train.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Thanks everone for the replies !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago