Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,516,549 times

Advertisements

I live west of there in West Ridge. The neighborhood you're asking aboiut is fine. I don't know of a reason to suggest you don't rent there. Your budget will get you a 3 bedroom in the area, if you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 AM

76 posts, read 280,820 times
I don't like West Ridge. It's kinda dumpy and the Indian community brings more of the aggravating issues of their culture than the pleasantries. Definitely don't do a garden apt, I've had them with problems and without problems in the past, but basically in Chicago we have flooding issues everywhere. Basements and garden apts, and I've known some to get flooded in West Ridge. Bugs too, ants and such. Don't listen to landlords they are liars lol.

I am also not a big fan of our public transit. It's fine during the day but at night it's not too comfortable. Lots of abandoned stations and empty train cars and such at night combined with shady characters. So I say keep to the "car culture", don't be dependent on public transit alone.

Lake View and Lincoln Park are great but you'll need to pay for parking. If you can't afford that I'd say Norwood Park, Edison Park, Harwood Heights, Norridge, or Niles, that general area. You didn't say where in Chicago you'd be working but since you mentioned Norwood Park as feasible I based my suggestions upon that. I know it's not an issue right now but you might want to think about living on the border of Chicago, such as in Norridge or Niles, to avoid Chicago schools.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM

8 posts, read 21,913 times
Thanks for your input guys! I'm coming back to town to view a couple more places tomorrow. One is in Ravenswood and one is in North Center. I'm pushing for the North Center one because then I can pretty much walk to work =) It seems super safe and there's a ton of stuff around it...plus it's a little bit cheaper!

In the event that I just could not find anything else, I feel a little better about the West Ridge location. I was going to head up there again too to talk to people I see on the street walking their dogs and stuff to see how they feel. But, I would be installing security cameras (the kinds that I can watch from my phone when we're gone) as well as probably an alarm system (the kind where you don't have to drill into the walls) as long as it's ok with the landlord, which I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Flooding is *somewhat* of a concern, but I didn't think that it looked that bad. There's a back door that is heavy steel and looks pretty solid with a tight fit, so I don't think it would be too bad. The entrance to the back door too has a drain and the door is like 4-5" up from the ground, so it would take a bit of flooding to flood out that door. I've lived in a garden apartment before in Washington (it rains A LOT) and I didn't have too many issues, but I know that can definitely vary from place to place.

We'll see what happens!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,273,999 times
I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to say that there should be no concern living over that way. Its' extremely quiet out that way, and a little underserved by the trains, but you could always take the western bus to the brown line. The upside should be that it's extremely cheap to rent around there.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,428,815 times
I don't know when you'll see this next but my landlord has a 2-br unit in your price range in Irving Park (the neighborhood directly north of Avondale) on a street where there's ample parking. And there's a lot more elbow room in this particular section of Irving Park than in West Ridge with lots of good parks and play lots nearby. This particular building even has a decent-sized yard for your littl'n to roam around if (supervised that is -- it's not fenced). Let me know if you want my LL's phone #.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,516,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNooblet View Post
Thanks for your input guys! I'm coming back to town to view a couple more places tomorrow. One is in Ravenswood and one is in North Center. I'm pushing for the North Center one because then I can pretty much walk to work =) It seems super safe and there's a ton of stuff around it...plus it's a little bit cheaper!

In the event that I just could not find anything else, I feel a little better about the West Ridge location. I was going to head up there again too to talk to people I see on the street walking their dogs and stuff to see how they feel. But, I would be installing security cameras (the kinds that I can watch from my phone when we're gone) as well as probably an alarm system (the kind where you don't have to drill into the walls) as long as it's ok with the landlord, which I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Flooding is *somewhat* of a concern, but I didn't think that it looked that bad. There's a back door that is heavy steel and looks pretty solid with a tight fit, so I don't think it would be too bad. The entrance to the back door too has a drain and the door is like 4-5" up from the ground, so it would take a bit of flooding to flood out that door. I've lived in a garden apartment before in Washington (it rains A LOT) and I didn't have too many issues, but I know that can definitely vary from place to place.

We'll see what happens!
You've received some good and accurate commentary about West Ridge, and some which is not so. By "not so" I mean not representative of someone who'd actually visited and/or lived in the community. I've been there 9 years now. Garden apartments are commonplace and it's the rare instance one is going to flood. Best of luck with your search.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,013,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Garden apartments are commonplace and it's the rare instance one is going to flood. Best of luck with your search.
LOL, I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter what neighborhood you're in. West Ridge is no more safe for flooding than Lakeview. What matters is how the land is around the unit and how well the construction was for the building itself and whether it increases the risk of flooding. The rain doesn't give a **** whether you're in West Ridge, Lakeview, Hermosa, or Pilsen.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't know when you'll see this next but my landlord has a 2-br unit in your price range in Irving Park (the neighborhood directly north of Avondale) on a street where there's ample parking. And there's a lot more elbow room in this particular section of Irving Park than in West Ridge with lots of good parks and play lots nearby. This particular building even has a decent-sized yard for your littl'n to roam around if (supervised that is -- it's not fenced). Let me know if you want my LL's phone #.
I wish I caught this yesterday since I was down there all day! Does the unit take dogs and what is the rent?

I saw a couple other apartments last night and man. There was one in North Center which I kinda liked, but it screamed, "I'm going to flood" just because the guy said it has flooded a couple times before. The area looked decent and it was super close to work. I didn't completely discount it, but it was sooo small and I just hate the prospect of having a rear entry door in a room that I would use as a possible bedroom for my son (I saw 2 like that!). Then I saw an apartment over in Old Irving Park. I liked the area, it had very nice cars, very cute houses, and the building and the inside were very cute. The apartment was SOOO small though. It's not like I'm looking for a HUGE space, but the living room was to where I could have a couch, but then the TV would have to sit on the kitchen counter. I wouldn't even be able to fit my bed in the bedroom. I don't have a whole lot of furniture to begin with (a couch, a tv stand, 2 computer desks, a crib, and a king size bed), so it's crazy to see how much you can spend in rent and not be able put furniture in comfortably! Definitely something to get used to.

And as far as West Ridge, I didn't feel too bad about it yesterday. I drove around it at around 9pm last night (well just that street of course!) and there were still people with their kids walking around at night! The back parking area is very well lit as well. As far as a garden unit goes, there are no bars on the doors, but I would most likely just invest in a cellular security system. They all seemed pretty reasonably priced and it would make me feel better for sure. The Target down there didn't seem too bad, but I probably wouldn't do it at night. I wouldn't do ANY parking garage at night if I didn't have to. But it had by far the most space of all the places I saw, it had the best amenities (washer/dryer, actual bathtubs in the bathrooms to bathe my son in because half the places I saw only had shower stalls, included parking in a gated back lot, easy access to some main roads, and A/C and heat).

The public transit thing isn't a huge deal to me either. I don't really need the service at the moment since I have my car. Yeah the winter might suck when I have to shovel out my car and pray they shoveled out the back lot so I can get out, but walking to and waiting at a bus station would suck too. I did a run from my work to where that apt is and it took about 10 minutes. I know in the morning with traffic it'll be different (I learned last night to avoid Addison like the plague during rush hour!!!!), but it is still a reasonable distance and a reasonable commute. I'm not afraid of commuting either...I drove 90 miles round trip everyday for my last job and spent about 3-4 hours a day in my car, so a little traffic doesn't bother me.

I could make another trip up to look at more apartments, but yesterday was so disappointing with the ones I saw. Plus it's 7 hours in the car and $60 in gas (190 miles one way) every day I drive up there. I already applied for two places (Norwood Park and this one in West Ridge), so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all your input guys!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM

I just looked at the bus map too. I figure if I *ABSOLUTELY* had to take public transit...like I couldn't dig my car out in the snow kind of scenario, I could maybe take 49B south, then 49 south, then like 152 west or something. I don't know. I've never done public transit! I guess that would work? LOL

Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,428,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNooblet View Post
I wish I caught this yesterday since I was down there all day! Does the unit take dogs and what is the rent?
Sorry, I didn't catch the part about dogs. I'll check but I'm pretty sure critters are a deal-breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago