Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 AM

26 posts, read 36,678 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a college senior in University of Nevada, Las Vegas and due to graduate in one year exactly. I'm looking to attend either graduate or law school in 2014. To bridge the gap and to rid myself of my mountain of student debt, I'm thinking to join of the military's branches, as a reserve officer and it will really come down to whomever provides the most benefits (sounds whorish, but things are tough when you first starting out)

I fell in love with Chicago when I visit my friend in 2010. I mean, I loved everything about the city, as I was accompanied by rich burbs boys and gals. So, I understand that reality will not be the same. Depending on how things go, I will most likely end up studying at UIC, unless I get accepted into a Law School that provides a lot of scholarships.

My plan is as follows: graduate in Las Vegas, have money saved up, go to Chicago, enlist in the National Guard or Navy, get the residency requirements squared away, find a good and affordable place to live in, find a job and attend school.

My questions:
I have a friend who lives in Edgewater and said that it's only 25 minutes away from downtown via the red line train. Is that considered a cheap neighborhood? He pays 700 a month for his studio. Is there any cheaper hoods? I want to stay close to UIC, downtown, Depaul, and the northern part of town.

I know security is a big issue in Chicago, but I have lived in D.C, Baltimore and Las Vegas and know how to carry myself, stay away from trouble and be safe. But, really. How bad is crime in Chicago, outside of the plagued areas?

Money, money, money!!! Price will be a very important if not the most important factor in my choice of place to live in, I'd love to see your recommendations.

Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
You can probably find apartments that are both far more convenient to UIC in Pilsen and just as affordable.

To get from Edgewater to UIC you would have to go through the Loop with its many stops. This would take at least double what your friend says, though he may be truthful that getting to the first Loop stop from Edgewater could take less that 30 minutes the rest of journey would be slower.

Btw enlistment in the National Guard is based on state residency to begin with. You better check how any participation in the military would effect your potential schedule for further education.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Yeah if you want to be by UIC or DePaul, Edgewater is a bit of schlep. The neighborhood is much more convenient if you are trying to get to Loyola or Northwestern. The plus side is that Edgewater is relatively affordable, but prices in the neighborhood are going up. If money is very important, you may want to think of trying to find a roomie also attending the same school you are looking at.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
If you plan on going to UIC, I would suggest living along the Blue Line.

Logan Square (although getting more expensive), Avondale and Irving Park are all affordable neighborhoods that are all along the Blue Line and about a 20-25 minute train ride to downtown. Also Pilsen is another neighborhood adjacent to the UIC area where you could even walk to school.

Since you mention you have a mountain of debt I would do the following. I would actually move to Chicago, work for one year and become a resident. That way if you go to UIC you can also get in-state tuition. It will come out much cheaper in the end. Just my two cents.

While Edgewater and Uptown are good neighborhoods, getting to UIC from where they are located can be annoying, because you will have to transfer trains. Now if you were going to DePaul or Loyola I would have said go for it. But UIC if you go to UIC you are much better off living in the Blue Line neighborhoods.

Just FYI I actually lived in a studio in Avondale for $620 a month literally two blocks from the El Blue Line, with plenty of amenities around.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
You say money is your most important consideration, but then don't tell us what amount you'd feel comfortable budgeting which doesn't really help us help you. $700/month if you want to live alone is a pretty good deal in most parts of the city that you'd want to live in. Can you find cheaper, sure, can you easily find cheaper as a newcomer, less likely. Edgewater has good deals, but it's a long commute to UIC. The area near Depaul is not going to be cheaper than Edgewater. Getting roommates near UIC either in Pilsen or maybe parts of Bridgeport and along Taylor Street are going to be your cheapest options with the best commute to school.

If you want to be on the North(west) side, sticking near the Blue Line's O'Hare branch is also a good option. Logan Square has a lot going for it, and is a 20 minute bus ride to Lakeview, or the south portions of Logan Square are a 20 minute bus ride to Lincoln Park/Depaul areas for when you really want to hit up those areas. And the no-transfers commute from those areas via the Blue Line to UIC isn't bad for your day-to-day activities. Without roommates, you'd still likely be close to $700/month. With roommates, you could be close to $400/month, depending on what you want/need.

I love Chicago, but the experience of living here is going to be a lot different from the Chicago rich suburbanites would have been showing you, just like actually living in New York would be way different from a trip to Manhattan with the cast of Jersey Shore. Keep an open mind or, better yet, take a cheap flight to Chicago, use Airbnb to find a place in Logan Square to see what it would actually be like to live in and commute from that neighborhood, and then decide whether you actually love Chicago or really just love hanging out with rich people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago