Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times

Advertisements

Several weeks ago I received a parking ticket downtown, allegedly for parking within 15' of a fire hydrant. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take a photo, but I believe that I left plenty of space and was outside the yellow line, or right up against it perhaps. I was definitely nowhere near the hydrant itself. Could I contest this and request photo evidence of being parked illegally? I checked the city's website, and apparently there isn't a photo associated with my ticket, at least that's been uploaded.

Anyone dealt with something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,151 times
They dont need to provide photo evidence.
The police officer's statement is considered adaquate proof to issue a ticket. Illegal parking is not CSI worthy.

But even if you provided a photo contrary to the ticket you still would need to show up in courst to contest if you want to make sure. Your odds are pretty good that you would be found innocent if you take it to court since it is unlikely the officer will show up. If he does show up, you lose.

So you got to ask yourself. Do you feel lucky? Do you punk?
(ohhh, and if taking a day off work is worth it to you to save $100)

You used to be able to contest them by sending it back with a note. But that is really hit or miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago