Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times

Advertisements

The Judge sets it straight.

Judge Jeanine: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones | Fox News Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 AM

359 posts, read 549,119 times
I watched this last night...SCATHING. She ripped him a new one live on TV. Rumor has it, that McCarthy is getting ready to be served his walking papers by Rahm.......

Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I dont know why he cant do a better job of putting criminals in jail. we need someone who is kick ass to get these thugs in jail..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I dont know why he cant do a better job of putting criminals in jail. we need someone who is kick ass to get these thugs in jail..
Can McCarthy do that? Isn't that the job of the courts?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Its true, that it's the court's responsibility to lock people up and make sure that they arent paroled too soon. One problem seems to be that the prison system has become a revolving door. That is a problem with the courts, the judges are too liberal.

But with McCarthy, he keeps defending the CompStat system, which is an abysmal failure at deploying the police to where they are needed. Plus he keeps defending the idea of getting rid of police, when we should actually be hiring more police.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
What ?? getting rid of police??? When did he say that and why??

Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Can McCarthy do that? Isn't that the job of the courts?
yes, true.. but he is in charge of criminals getting intially arrested, right? Maybe more criminals need to be arrested so the courts can do their job.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Are we just shuffling deck chairs on the Titantic?

Do we have any recent examples of a police chief actually reducing crime in a major city? I mean a chief that came in and established methods that objectively did reduce crime?

The only one I am aware of is NYC's "broken windows" strategy, but there is a lot of dispute over whether that was really effective, or if NYC just benefited from societal trends (all cities have lower crime today when compared to the 70s/80s).

If we can't find a single example, why are we surprised that the current police chief in Chicago cannot reduce crime?

BTW, I continue to stand behind my statement that asking the police to reduce crime is a fools errand, since the police benefit from the existence of crime. You're asking the police to put themselves out of work, which no rational person or organization would do. The police see their job as arresting criminals, not reducing crime. So they are happy to continue to arrest thousands of low-level drug sellers and drug users, knowing that they will never make a dent in the actual crime rate.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

Do we have any recent examples of a police chief actually reducing crime in a major city? I mean a chief that came in and established methods that objectively did reduce crime?

The only one I am aware of is NYC's "broken windows" strategy, but there is a lot of dispute over whether that was really effective, or if NYC just benefited from societal trends (all cities have lower crime today when compared to the 70s/80s).

If we can't find a single example, why are we surprised that the current police chief in Chicago cannot reduce crime?

BTW, I continue to stand behind my statement that asking the police to reduce crime is a fools errand, since the police benefit from the existence of crime. You're asking the police to put themselves out of work, which no rational person or organization would do. The police see their job as arresting criminals, not reducing crime. So they are happy to continue to arrest thousands of low-level drug sellers and drug users, knowing that they will never make a dent in the actual crime rate.
I can't really disagree with any of this.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

I disagree with the bolded comments. It has been proven that a large police presence, deters crime/prevents crime. Your statement makes the assumption that the police would allow crime to exist, to justify their jobs. That is insane. If crime does go down, the goal is not to downsize thepolice force, but to "maintain the gains" by keeping them around. When you downsize police, especially in an area like Chicago (which has a deap-seeded crime-based culture, a culture that worships death and crime), crime will go BACK UP, which is EXACTLY what happened when DaleyRahmMcCarthy started to not replace retiring officers, and instead tried to rely on COMPSTAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago