Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
Now, I think the area will gradually improve in the next 5 years, but currently it's got all the hallmark signs of the "the hood" and a lot of people are uncomfortable with that.
What makes you think it's going to improve in the next 5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM

367 posts, read 673,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
What makes you think it's going to improve in the next 5 years?
westward extension of West Loop gentrification

Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Quick review...

The OP is wavering between something closer for the drive to RF and something that would mean a longish drive out that way BUT at least would have the "charms of the city" waiting at the end of the line...

Neither the OP nor really anyone else is suggesting RF itself as it is rather costly option not known for having an abundance of rentals or any real nightlife at all.

At least towns like Forest Park and Berwyn tend to be places where one's housing dollar stretches a little further and one could get a beer or see a live band.

If the OP and their spouse NEED to live inside Chicago because of restrictions on their employment then MAYBE it would helpful to point spots close to the RF that would fit the bill -- I have been through Dunning thousands of times and it really and truly is boring and unattractive. The multifamily buildings look positively depressing and the single family homes are not much better. Galewood is similarly lacking in charm while being plagued by slowing moving traffic through Oak Park. Not a plus. None of those places would really give one a "living in the big city experience" except when you wrote out your 606xx address -- for fun nightspots / dining choices / live music that really only happens INSIDE the more desirable neighborhoods...The added hassles of darting way up to spots near O'Hare for a situation where one spouse works in the Loop and the other works in RF similarly holds no real pluses, and complicates any potential effort to keep commute simple. Honestly if I had a nickel for every time I got stuck on north-south surface streets between the Kennedy and the Ike that are clogged with slow moving traffic I could afford a helicopter to just hover about it all...

That leaves other suburbs -- When it comes to Elmwood Park I have no real objections to folks renting there though the fact is that is not as well served by transit as Forest Park or Berwyn. (for buyers the relative appreciation rate has lagged largely because of poor schools which also makes it a tough choice for folks with kids, but the OP does not fall into those categories). For this couple the hassle of being in EP when one needs to get to work in the Loop and the other would need to get to RF there really is no plus. I similarly am not a big promoter of Oak Park, largely because of the rentals is the nice parts of town not being as good a value as those in equally safe parts of Berwyn or Forest Park and the potential for a bargain priced apartment to be in a part of town that requires one to be far more diligent...

I pretty consistently recommend that folks do NOT "split the difference" as doing so in our region generally give two people crummy commutes. In a few rare cases a "half way point" means that each commuter could have a commute of under 20 minutes but in this case that would mean that'd be in some scary part of East Garfield Park -- that would be flat out nuts... It makes more sense to live closer to one commuting location so that at least half of the couple is not worn out /grumpy (or worse) from hassle of getting home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
Those weren't just places I picked out of thin air you know. Galewood is literally one mile from Concordia University in River Forest, that is why I brought it up, I don't see why it isn't at least as valid as recommending River Forest itself. This is where the inherent bias you have shows really well, if I were to recommend Elmwood Park or Oark Park which lie literally across Harlem Avenue and North Avenue respectively and happen to be suburbs instead of city neighborhoods you would no doubt have a different tune.

Take your last paragraph which is essentially about finding a compromise between where the two people work, well guess what that is what I tried to do. I recommended the neighborhoods near O'Hare (which btw I mean anything from Jefferson Park to Cumberland just to start) and you complain about the commute down Harlem Avenue to River Forest but when I bring up Galewood which would be a very short commute to River Forest all of a sudden all these accolades about how boring the neighborhood is. So you contradict yourself, tear apart logical possibilities that I brought up and then give some speech about how there needs to be a compromise commute. Well guess what?

Yes, Chicago is a big city, there will be some commute problems if you are driving more than a few miles but don't pretend that River Forest and the O'Hare area are as far apart as the earth is from the moon (Driving down Harlem Avenue from Norwood Park to River Forest is a MADDENING commute, are you freaking serious?!) I don't do that commute myself but surely it can't be that bad and relative to what many commutes in our region it simply can't be, that is being a bit deceptive to our newcomers, of course it is all a bit subjective and they should decide for themselves but I just think someone needs to point out your bias that you are not willing to admit to. For starters I will admit to mine, I tend to promote city neighborhoods in the "Chicago" forum, especially when the OP specifically mentions a desire to live in the city. Sure suburbs like Oak Park and River Forest are natural starting points to look but some of the neighborhoods I brought up could be a nice compromise between neighborhoods like Lakeview and a suburb and besides there is housing in these places within their price range.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 PM

422 posts, read 813,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP is wavering between something closer for the drive to RF and something that would mean a longish drive out that way BUT at least would have the "charms of the city" waiting at the end of the line...

Neither the OP nor really anyone else is suggesting RF itself as it is rather costly option not known for having an abundance of rentals or any real nightlife at all.

At least towns like Forest Park and Berwyn tend to be places where one's housing dollar stretches a little further and one could get a beer or see a live band.

If the OP and their spouse NEED to live inside Chicago because of restrictions on their employment then MAYBE it would helpful to point spots close to the RF that would fit the bill -- I have been through Dunning thousands of times and it really and truly is boring and unattractive. The multifamily buildings look positively depressing and the single family homes are not much better. Galewood is similarly lacking in charm while being plagued by slowing moving traffic through Oak Park. Not a plus. None of those places would really give one a "living in the big city experience" except when you wrote out your 606xx address -- for fun nightspots / dining choices / live music that really only happens INSIDE the more desirable neighborhoods...The added hassles of darting way up to spots near O'Hare for a situation where one spouse works in the Loop and the other works in RF similarly holds no real pluses, and complicates any potential effort to keep commute simple. Honestly if I had a nickel for every time I got stuck on north-south surface streets between the Kennedy and the Ike that are clogged with slow moving traffic I could afford a helicopter to just hover about it all...

That leaves other suburbs -- When it comes to Elmwood Park I have no real objections to folks renting there though the fact is that is not as well served by transit as Forest Park or Berwyn. (for buyers the relative appreciation rate has lagged largely because of poor schools which also makes it a tough choice for folks with kids, but the OP does not fall into those categories). For this couple the hassle of being in EP when one needs to get to work in the Loop and the other would need to get to RF there really is no plus. I similarly am not a big promoter of Oak Park, largely because of the rentals is the nice parts of town not being as good a value as those in equally safe parts of Berwyn or Forest Park and the potential for a bargain priced apartment to be in a part of town that requires one to be far more diligent...

I pretty consistently recommend that folks do NOT "split the difference" as doing so in our region generally give two people crummy commutes. In a few rare cases a "half way point" means that each commuter could have a commute of under 20 minutes but in this case that would mean that'd be in some scary part of East Garfield Park -- that would be flat out nuts... It makes more sense to live closer to one commuting location so that at least half of the couple is not worn out /grumpy (or worse) from hassle of getting home.
All I am saying is let them decide for themselves what is "boring" and what is not, the OP mentioned coming from the suburbs of Milwaukee which are hardly considered exciting by your same standards anyways. I just find it odd that you talk as if the outer neighborhoods of Chicago are the most boring places on earth or something, try living in a rust belt town on the fringe of cornfields downstate and get back to me about what is boring. It is just my opinion but I still think living in middle class outer neighborhoods of Chicago are still more interesting than where about 85% of Americans live, most people can't even claim to live even 10-15 miles from anything as exciting as central Chicago. I would dare say that Dunning is more interesting than the majority of places in greater Chicagoland because there is just so much bland suburban sprawl in our region but those are just my tastes. Within the context of the city of Chicago? Yeah it is on the less interesting side of the equation but at that point you are within striking distance to easily visit everything of interst within the city on a regular basis and it just shows how relative these kinds of things are.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 AM

106 posts, read 173,208 times
Today, we are driving down to look at a few apartments, here are the locations

2429 N Albany Ave - Logan Square
2045 N Avers Ave - Logan Square
2034 N Humboldt Blvd - Logan Square
2701 W Augusta Blvd - Oak Park
427 S Elmwood - oak Park
632 Marengo - Forest Park

So we will have a busy day, any advice on the "area" of these places would be great.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Today, we are driving down to look at a few apartments, here are the locations

2429 N Albany Ave - Logan Square
2045 N Avers Ave - Logan Square
2034 N Humboldt Blvd - Logan Square
2701 W Augusta Blvd - Oak Park
427 S Elmwood - oak Park

So we will have a busy day, any advice on the "area" of these places would be great.

Thanks!
2429 N Albany is the best location that is in the city of Chicago itself IMO. I believe it's 2034 N Humboldt is an OK location, but none of the other Chicago locations are that close to public transit like 2429 N Albany is.

2701 Augusta is NOT oak park. It's in the eastern part of "Humboldt Park" and it can be okay but you need to exercise more caution there.

The last two in Oak Park/Forest Park I have no idea about but it looks like they're close to public transit which is good..

Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
427 S Elmwood - oak Park

Thanks!
427 S. Elmwood is a fine location. You're very close to a Jewel (grocery store), walking distance to both Green and Blue subway stations. Its not far from Concordia, and you could even possibly ride a bike from this location to work.

632 Marengo is close to the Blue line, and very close to the expressway (possibly too close if the noise and pollution bother you.) Walking distance to Madison St, the "Main St" of Forest Park with lots of bars, restaurants, trendy boutiques, etc. This location is also biking distance from Concordia.

Both Oak Park and Forest Park restrict on-street overnight parking so inquire about off-street parking options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago