Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,132 times

Advertisements

Seems to be a common question on here - but no one in my particular demo has posted.

Just got a job offer in Chicago and will be relocating from Baltimore. I own my home in Baltimore, but figure I'll rent to start in Chicago to see where I might like to settle. I'm 40, female, single (no kids), straight -- used to city living with a friendly neighborhood feel, like to go out (restaurants, casual bars, live music -- not clubs), love sports, water and the outdoors, like to be within walking distance of social life, do own a car. Looking for a grown up area - but not all families or retired folks. I currently live in a 1150 sq. ft. rowhouse, hoping to find 2 bedroom (or at least spacious) for guest room and not sure how I feel about high-rise living (never done it!) Can spend up to $2700 or so a month - though less would be nice.

Open to any and all suggestions on what neighborhoods (or specific properties) might be a fit for me there. Don't have much time to figure it all out - probably moving by mid-August? BTW, job will be in the Loop. Also, any other advice on relo to Chicago is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
While a budget of $2700/mo is pretty solid I am not sure that you will get the same kind of thing that you are used to in Baltimore. You might look in Lincoln Park or Old Town, those areas tend to have the more classic rowhomes. Some parts of Old Town still have a few subsidized units that are reserved for low income families, that tends t distort the market perception.

Old Town and Lincoln Park have a nice mix of folks your age as well as some families and some folks older. A similar mix of ages can also be found the South Loop, prices there are a bit lower on average and there tends to be more rentals (Lincoln Park generally has quite a few row homes for purchase (with sometimes quite high selling prices depending upon how nicely updated they are...). Areas like River North have some row houses, though if ther are available for rent they tend to be pricey...

Yhere are also pockets of row houses and more modern townhouse complexes near the west side Medical District -- rentals there are generally more common, but often the mix of folks is a bit more geared to thos of typical med school age. Quite a few of those complexes have parking...

You could look further from the Loop too, but rentals may not be any more plentiful and if you want a nice mix of entertainment options / good access to work it makes sense to focus on areas most convenient.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM

Thanks, Chett! To be clear, I don't need to have exactly the same type of living space I have here. I like my house, but it's 14 feet wide and most of the square footage comes because I have 3 (tiny but) finished floors. In fact, I'd be fine with something more modern - we just don't really have a lot of high rise or condo living in Baltimore, so I'd be curious as to whether that's the better solution in Chicago.

I have heard Old Town, Lincoln Park and River North from others. If I weren't looking specifically for a town/row home, but any rental, would those still be your recommendations? And parking is critical, yes?

Again - thank you!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
$2700/month is more than enough in Chicago, even for a 2 bedroom. That being said, I have a few suggestions. Although first a question: Where in the Loop will you be working? - East part or West part..or more central?

Based on what you said though, here's what I would say:

1) Lakeview East - Lakeview is a big area and this is where Wrigley Field is (where the Cubs play,....named Wrigleyville. Lot of sports bars and drunk people around here). Although it's only a few blocks away, Lakeview East is a quieter, but has a ton of stuff there. There is a mix of people from their 20s all the way into their 50s. Lot of good stuff and it's right near the lake. The Red and Brown lines are not far away and the road on the lake, Lake Shore Drive, has express bus routes that run to the Loop (the Eastern section). Average 1 bedroom rent for a decent place is between probably $1000 and $1500/month. If you want private covered parking, it'll probably be another $100-$225/month depending on the place. There's a lot of high rises along the lake here. There is also street parking, which is zoned and like $25/year. 2 bedrooms range anywhere from $1500-$2500/month.

2) Gold Coast - Depending on who you talk to, considered "downtown." This is a fairly wealthy part of town because there's a lot of old mansions/big row homes (including the original Playboy Mansion). Average age is probably late 20s or early 30s on up. Lot of high rises here but mixed in with the low scale stuff too. Near the Red Line and some other bus routes. Closer to the Loop by a few miles than Lakeview East, but the commute times aren't drastically different via train. Average 1 bedroom rents are probably between $1400-$2000/month here. 2 bedroom places range anywhere from about $2100-$3000/month.

Although both have their fair share of high rises, I'd say that Lakeview East has more small scale stuff than Gold Coast, but Gold Coast does have it. You may also want to check out the area of Lincoln Square. It is a little older oriented, but really no high rises, lot of good restaurants and stuff, and it's on the Brown line. About 30 minutes to the Loop on that.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorerelo View Post
Seems to be a common question on here - but no one in my particular demo has posted.

Just got a job offer in Chicago and will be relocating from Baltimore. I own my home in Baltimore, but figure I'll rent to start in Chicago to see where I might like to settle. I'm 40, female, single (no kids), straight -- used to city living with a friendly neighborhood feel, like to go out (restaurants, casual bars, live music -- not clubs), love sports, water and the outdoors, like to be within walking distance of social life, do own a car. Looking for a grown up area - but not all families or retired folks. I currently live in a 1150 sq. ft. rowhouse, hoping to find 2 bedroom (or at least spacious) for guest room and not sure how I feel about high-rise living (never done it!) Can spend up to $2700 or so a month - though less would be nice.

Open to any and all suggestions on what neighborhoods (or specific properties) might be a fit for me there. Don't have much time to figure it all out - probably moving by mid-August? BTW, job will be in the Loop. Also, any other advice on relo to Chicago is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
So based on what you described I think you'd prefer a lakefront neighborhood first. I would look into the following neighborhoods (listed based on location going from South to North) South Loop, Streeterville, Gold Coast, Old Town, Lincoln Park, East Lakeview, Buena Park/Uptown, Andersonville.

Gold Coast, Old Town and Lincoln Park will be the most expensive neighborhoods, although you still won't have an issue finding a 2bed place below the $2700/mo max. South Loop, Streeterville, and Gold Coast contain more high rises, although there are also townhouses and 2/3flats in the neighborhoods.

If you choose to keep your car, you will definitely have to plan on another $100-200 for parking, although it should be noted if you'll be working in the loop, you'll be using public transportation for your job anyways. If the car is paid off, I would at least consider getting rid of it and using car sharing services like Zip Car or I-Go to fill in the gaps.

Last, given your situation, you may want to use one of the apartment finding companies. They are free to you, in that you do not pay them directly, although as the landlord typically pays 1 month rent to the companies, you may be paying a bit higher rent than if you were able to do the due diligence on your own. However, if you give them your criteria and the list of neighborhoods you are interested in, they can schedule them for you to view all in a weekend.

Also, the rental market on the northside of Chicago has been very tight the past couple years, so if you do see something you like, you should be prepared to move quickly.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Gold Coast, Old Town and Lincoln Park will be the most expensive neighborhoods, although you still won't have an issue finding a 2bed place below the $2700/mo max. South Loop, Streeterville, and Gold Coast contain more high rises, although there are also townhouses and 2/3flats in the neighborhoods.
Streeterville is actually more expensive now than all three of those believe it or not. River North is also mainly more expensive than all of them too (with a few exceptions in the Gold Coast). I'd say it's pretty hard to find a 1 bedroom under $1700/month in Streeterville now, but I can do it pretty easily in Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, etc. The 1 bedrooms in Lincoln Park might be $1100-$1500/month on average.

Agreed about the lakefront neighborhood, or close to Lakefront. I think that Lakeview East or Gold Coast would still be best for the OP, but Lakeview East has more lowrise rental options.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 AM

Great! Thank you so much. Breathing a little easier now. Mostly, I've been browsing online and the rents seemed a bit steeper than what you've all confirmed. As for being prepared to move fast -- I don't have much choice! At the outside, I have about 6 weeks to get settled somewhere. I've reached out to an agent. In the meantime, if any of you have any specific properties you'd recommend (on the condo or apt. front), I'll take any info I can get. Oh - and job is in the Aon Center (east Loop.)

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorerelo View Post
Great! Thank you so much. Breathing a little easier now. Mostly, I've been browsing online and the rents seemed a bit steeper than what you've all confirmed. As for being prepared to move fast -- I don't have much choice! At the outside, I have about 6 weeks to get settled somewhere. I've reached out to an agent. In the meantime, if any of you have any specific properties you'd recommend (on the condo or apt. front), I'll take any info I can get. Oh - and job is in the Aon Center (east Loop.)
AON Center is good because you could take an express bus from Lakeview East and it's almost as fast as a train. But also you could take the Red Line which is just a few blocks walk away from that, or even Blue Line (which is not near the lake but has some great neighborhoods along it).

For renting, I would look at these sites:
* Domu Chicago Apartment Search | Domu Chicago
* Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder

For example, here is a 2 bedroom place in Lakeview East right outside of Belmont Harbor a few steps away from Lake Shore Drive (an express bus would go near you). It's $1690/month for 900 sq feet including gas and heat, wood floors, etc. Parking is an extra $200-$220 per month. If you want to park on the street, then it's going to be $25/year. Depends on your priorities, but these areas of Chicago are ones where you could get away with never using a car.

Chicago Apartments | 417 W. Roscoe St. | Domu Chicago

If you are curious, this is what the street looks like (behind you is the lake/harbor):
http://goo.gl/maps/8w4QJ

Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM

57 posts, read 145,965 times
If you want a quiet, out-of-the-way neighborhood, you might also consider Hyde Park. You can take the Metra from HP almost to the door of the Aon Center, and the housing is extremely affordable (you'll be able to rent a very nice place for your budget). There are a few high-rises in HP, but most buildings are around three stories. HP also has a fair share of cafes, restaurants, etc. and a handful of bars.

The downside is that there is not much to do late at night, and evening transit options are very limited (the last safe public transit route from the Loop/anywhere north to HP is the #6 bus, which I believe stops running around 12:30). Also, while HP itself is safe, the surrounding neighborhoods are not.

Overall, I think that the lakefront corridor from South Loop on up is probably your best bet. But if you want a large, classic unit in an interesting neighborhood and you aren't a late-nighter, Hyde Park is worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago