Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 10:26 AM

389 posts, read 921,267 times

Advertisements

1. Your boss remembers your past mistakes you made including silly ones
2. When your co-workers especially senior don't bother to show you things to train after asking them.
3. When in performance appraisal, your review reads like a train wreck and only "inconsistencies" are documented but improvements are only verbally discussed
4. When bits of your reviews are exaggerated or set up.
5. When your login ID suddenly says its disabled and cannot remotely log in from computer. Only later when you come in to work, you find out why.

A few things were beyond my control. For example, my boss was hr person but not much of a technical person so trying to explain him some things from technical standpoint was a challenge. My boss was very micromanaging and critiqued at everything you did. I was there 1 year. Before I went there I worked for another large company where I had no problems at all and only reason I quit was to move back to my family's hometown and get larger salary. Some fires were started by my team which I was extinguishing and responsible for. In times when I was helpful my credits were stolen. Weeks before I had to leave the company, I started job hunt. Its been going well when it comes to getting calls for interviews, as for getting actually job offers its different story so far. I verified my company does not provide for reference anything beyond my title and dates. Since my situation has changed, what to tell employers I applied to when I was still there if they ask me if I still work there? And why I left? Right now I am in the middle of interview. When I had prescreening she asked me what I am doing and why I am looking to leave. For reasons to leave, I said because I worked permanently nights only and I was looking to work different schedule and was not afraid to start with new challenges and opportunities. At this point she told me they have alternating schedule where I would work a few weeks on days, then flip to night and then flip again to days after another few weeks. Which worked for me, better than nights only. So she scheduled interview with my hiring manager on Tuesday. Now I believe he's gonna ask my why I am looking to leave. Its probably gonna little surprise him I already left on Saturday because I was terminated. I don't wanna get into details about my company, co-workers. What I definitely I do not want to do is bad-mouth my former employer or appear to do this. I can say either I was laid off (my boss told me HR is not allowed to state reason) or terminated and simply state things weren't working out but I did my best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 PM

To those "friends" who hate me and might subscribe to my posts and read this thread, do not hurry to laugh at my bad luck because I got Ace in my sleeve to rebound quickly from my situation. I will be last to laugh.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
The sign that I think is most reliable is not getting invited to meetings that you should be invited to given your position. If your logon ID doesn't work, you've already been fired (or else the system is down).

Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 AM

498 posts, read 978,339 times
As an Army noncommissioned officer who regularly deals with junior soldiers (except while I'm here in Chicago anyway, I don't get any minions here), I want to make a few comments on this points regarding how they apply as I see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
1. Your boss remembers your past mistakes you made including silly ones
I make it a point to remember everything my soldiers do right or wrong. I keep notes about it all for monthly evals. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't mean anything except that I expect continuous improvement in every area that needs it in even the smallest way.

Quote:
2. When your co-workers especially senior don't bother to show you things to train after asking them.
My most junior soldiers are shown everything whether they want to see it or not. After I'm sure someone knows what they're doing well enough to not fry the network or make our section look incompetent, I expect them to do their job and ask me or one of the others they work with to help them out if they don't understand something that they should already know., but it is also not the job of the other soldiers to train everyone. They have their jobs to do, and that has to take priority. If one of my soldiers won't work with someone to train them while we're not busy though, that is a sign that the senior soldier there needs to be spoken to more than any reflection on the junior soldier who was asking for training.

Quote:
3. When in performance appraisal, your review reads like a train wreck and only "inconsistencies" are documented but improvements are only verbally discussed
As I said before, I expect continuous improvement. While I do document good things that are worth documenting (a soldier stays four hours past work hours to troubleshoot network problems, for example), I'm not here to coddle peoples' self esteem. If an incompetent soldier finally fixes himself and learns his job, there might be one counseling (our term for evaluations) where I point that out on paper, but it's after a long period of improvements. I'm not going to document it every time someone does his job right.

Quote:
4. When bits of your reviews are exaggerated or set up.
This one is inexcusable and reflects badly on the reviewer, not the subject. I would certainly expect one of my soldiers to call me out on it if I had anything other than the absolute truth on their form.

Quote:
5. When your login ID suddenly says its disabled and cannot remotely log in from computer. Only later when you come in to work, you find out why.
Lots of reasons for this one, but I'd say if it had anything to do with being fired, you're already off the books at this point.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
1. I make it a point to remember everything my soldiers do right or wrong. I keep notes about it all for monthly evals. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't mean anything except that I expect continuous improvement in every area that needs it in even the smallest way.
That is good. But I improved in many areas from last year that were no longer discussed yet he said he included negative connotations from last year reviews into this year. Furthermore, many of those evaluations were kind of vague and generalized. (i.e. consistency in noting tickets) yet what area (user, system generated, hardware, storage or crash) did not matter.

Quote:

2. My most junior soldiers are shown everything whether they want to see it or not. After I'm sure someone knows what they're doing well enough to not fry the network or make our section look incompetent, I expect them to do their job and ask me or one of the others they work with to help them out if they don't understand something that they should already know., but it is also not the job of the other soldiers to train everyone. They have their jobs to do, and that has to take priority. If one of my soldiers won't work with someone to train them while we're not busy though, that is a sign that the senior soldier there needs to be spoken to more than any reflection on the junior soldier who was asking for training.
Imagine being told for tasks that you hadn't have to do or did only 1-2 times in past few months that you should've known this by know since X months passed. There were no serious large gaps in everyday tasks. Also it looks you technically know well the job your employees do since you probably have done it yourself before being promoted to a managerial role. My manager was formerly a HR person who only understood our jobs from reports. It kinda makes a difference I think.

Quote:

3. As I said before, I expect continuous improvement. While I do document good things that are worth documenting (a soldier stays four hours past work hours to troubleshoot network problems, for example), I'm not here to coddle peoples' self esteem. If an incompetent soldier finally fixes himself and learns his job, there might be one counseling (our term for evaluations) where I point that out on paper, but it's after a long period of improvements. I'm not going to document it every time someone does his job right.
At least you also document those things. And after they learn something you credit them for this. Of course it makes sense when you not credit for something that was done just once good but rather consistently good for a while.

Quote:

4. This one is inexcusable and reflects badly on the reviewer, not the subject. I would certainly expect one of my soldiers to call me out on it if I had anything other than the absolute truth on their form.
I did call out, even in written form in my comments to an official unacceptable notice I received before they let me go. Still my concerns were not discussed and I was told my firing is based on accumulation of inconsistencies rather than specific examples. But for me the accumulation from even just one inaccurate example was one too many. He still would leave it for the next review as it is and neither correct it nor recall it.

Anyway I have a general feeling that their decision was not based on everything they made seem to be. And I also think I was kinda set up and it had to do not just with my job but also me socially not fitting too well.

Overall its their loss too, not just mine. Some of the things I was doing that others were not willing to do since it was easy to get out of microscope was raising incidents for faults that were not raised by automation or people but it sit there for a while.

Last edited by mayhem_223; 07-21-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,681,428 times
Consider it a blessing in disguise, even if you were to manage to stay hanging onto your job by a thread, it sounds like a toxic place to work.

Move on and find a job where you don't have to constantly look over your shoulder.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,603,533 times
...and what does any of this have to do with Chicago relocation? Or with anything, really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: