Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:20 AM

3 posts, read 2,921 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be moving to Chicago with my husband, this autumn. He will be working at the IIT Main Campus (somewhere on South Federal St). Reading different reviews and browsing the internet, I am starting to panic. Especially since we are coming from Europe (Romania) and there are so many things different here... Which neighbourhood would be ok for us to move to? We cannot possibly bring our car so we would prefer a condo/neighbourhood near the IIT... I think we will be leaving in Chicago for around 2 years, and since in the States condos are not furnished (except for the kitchen and bathroom) we will also have to buy furniture, which we will be throwing away in 2 years, at our departure... Anyway, please advise me on some safe Chicago neighbourhoods, close or relatively close to the IIT.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
For places close to campus, I've known IIT students who live in the east part of Bridgeport and walk across the bridge over the Dan Ryan to get to IIT. That seems to work pretty well. The northern part of Bronzeville near IIT would work, too, though the crime rate gets higher as you go further south in that neighborhood.

Also, IIT has a stop on the Red Line (train), so it would be easy for your husband to get to work without a car from many further-away parts of the city. I have a friend who lives in Wicker Park without a car and works at IIT. She takes the Blue and Red lines to work every day and seems to have no problems, though that might be a longer train commute than some people would want.

As with anyone, your options will depend on your budget and the type of residence and neighborhood you want.

I'm not sure about IIT, but many universities have someone on campus who helps students and/or employees to find housing, particularly if they're coming from far away like you are. Your husband may want to check with IIT's Human Resources Department or the office that is hiring him.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Yep depends on commute and what you can afford monthly. I have a few friends who are PhD students at IIT and live in Gold Coast and Lakeview (I'm not necessarily suggesting either) but the IIT campus is connected to a few rail lines (Green and Red Lines)

Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
IIT and the nearby Illinois School of Optometry almost certainly maintain some furnished apartments for visiting faculty. I would first contact the staff.

There is a large apartment complex that I know some staff does utilize for rentals. Though I persoydo not care for Prarie Shores it is professionally managed and very convenient to the Campus.

Because there is a CTA station literally on campus (with very attractive Rem Koolhaas design...) it is very easy to get from South Loop where there are a fair number of furnished apartments. Might be much easier as neighborhood like Bridgeport are not traditionally viewed as a great choice ...

Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
neighborhood like Bridgeport are not traditionally viewed as a great choice ...

Knowing from experience what university faculty and staff often earn, Bridgeport is more likely to be a better choice than South Loop, actually. Everyone I know there likes it. By "traditionally" are you meaning 1980 or something?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times
Bridgeport is a fine choice if you are looking for a safe neighborhood. If you have school aged kids and can't afford private school it probably wouldn't be the best choice but otherwise they shouldn't have any issues there.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 AM

498 posts, read 724,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post

Knowing from experience what university faculty and staff often earn, Bridgeport is more likely to be a better choice than South Loop, actually. Everyone I know there likes it. By "traditionally" are you meaning 1980 or something?
Agreed. Bridgeport is probably safer than South Loop. Stayed there with a friend for a week and the area I was in always seemed pretty quiet/safe and my friend's rent was really cheap. I've also walked from where I was staying to the IIT campus and it wasn't too bad. Bridgeport is a fine option, imo. Though since the campus is right off the red line sox-35th red line stop, your options are open to more than just Bridgeport.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
South Loop.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
I thought the Red Line was closed due to construction? Last time I was home in June, that's what I saw, at least.

What about Chinatown or the area between 24th and 35th street? Lot's of food options there.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I thought the Red Line was closed due to construction? Last time I was home in June, that's what I saw, at least.

What about Chinatown or the area between 24th and 35th street? Lot's of food options there.

The Red Line is under construction south of Roosevelt until October or November (I think), but south of Roosevelt it's been re-routed through the Green Line which has a stop at 35th-Bronzeville-IIT.

Chinatown is always good if you can find an apartment (look for Armour Square on a site like Zillow for that) but in the end it sounds like they're looking for a furnished apartment/condo. It would help to have some sort of monthly budget from the OP and what kind of housing they want (i.e. 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago