Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 PM

58 posts, read 147,247 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of both neighborhoods? I'm kind of out of the college crowd (mid 20s), so I don't want to live somewhere that has only college students or families either. I'm looking for diversity, safety, shops, and places to go for a run/jog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcnic View Post
What are the pros and cons of both neighborhoods? I'm kind of out of the college crowd (mid 20s), so I don't want to live somewhere that has only college students or families either. I'm looking for diversity, safety, shops, and places to go for a run/jog.
They are basically the same, with Lincoln park having more attractive housing stock. Both are filled with the "out of college crowd", although I'd argue the only difference between college kids and mid 20s are that those in their mid 20s have more money to spend at the bars.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 PM

101 posts, read 171,896 times
I think there are more differences inside each neighborhood than there are between the two. Lakeview does feel like it has more 'urban' streets and density while Lincoln Park has more 'residential' and quiet areas. But it really depends since West Lakeview is pretty residential. People-wise, Lincoln Park feels more quaint.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:52 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcnic View Post
For diversity, neither.

For safety, Lincoln Park.

For shops, both.

For places to run/jog, slight nod to LP (due to the park itself), though neither is great due to population density.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 PM

113 posts, read 145,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
For places to run/jog, slight nod to LP (due to the park itself), though neither is great due to population density.
Hey Troll - WTF are you talking about? Do you run the lakeshore paths? I did regularly and the vast MAJORITY of occasions I would pass maybe a dozen people on a 5 mile run either before work or in the evenings. During the frequent not so great weather the entire thing is yours for the taking. You can run to the South side of the city without ever crossing a street or changing directions along a beautiful lake front. This is one of the highest rated running paths in a city in the nation - what you are comparing it to - running in a national park? Just because you stumbled outside from whatever hole you call home and went to the beach on a busy Saturday afternoon certainly doesn't make you an authority so stop pretending to be one.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagohunter View Post
Hey Troll - WTF are you talking about? Do you run the lakeshore paths? I did regularly and the vast MAJORITY of occasions I would pass maybe a dozen people on a 5 mile run either before work or in the evenings. During the frequent not so great weather the entire thing is yours for the taking. You can run to the South side of the city without ever crossing a street or changing directions along a beautiful lake front. This is one of the highest rated running paths in a city in the nation - what you are comparing it to - running in a national park? Just because you stumbled outside from whatever hole you call home and went to the beach on a busy Saturday afternoon certainly doesn't make you an authority so stop pretending to be one.
I think he was referring to jogging in the neighborhood itself, not the beach.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I don't know what he/she/it was referring to. I lived a block off the lake, why would you say jogging is not that great and I am not referring to the beach either, it is the lake shore. Saying that the jogging in either area is anything but excellent is ridiculous.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:45 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Beach, lake shore same thing. Anyways, there's a the path, and there's the park west of LSD. Both are very "joggable".

Considering anyone who runs or jogs goes a greater distance than the small space those 2 neighborhoods encompass, using the neighborhood itself as a qualifier doesn't really help. They're both close to the lake so they are both easy access to the path.
In regards to the neighborhoods, they also both have their busy dense areas with lots of foot traffic in the way, and they also both have their relatively clear areas.
I personally enjoy biking on the path and running in the neighborhoods.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Thank you.

It's a given that the beach path on the North Side is crowded. I was referring to the neighborhoods themselves, which is what I assumed the OP was asking.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Beach, lake shore same thing. Anyways, there's a the path, and there's the park west of LSD. Both are very "joggable".

Considering anyone who runs or jogs goes a greater distance than the small space those 2 neighborhoods encompass, using the neighborhood itself as a qualifier doesn't really help. They're both close to the lake so they are both easy access to the path.
In regards to the neighborhoods, they also both have their busy dense areas with lots of foot traffic in the way, and they also both have their relatively clear areas.
I personally enjoy biking on the path and running in the neighborhoods.
I do not have a bone to pick with you so whatever you say, I do not have time to go back and forth on the definition of a beach. If anyone asks me I am going to tell them exactly that I am saying here, that the jogging in either community is excellent and 2nd to none. Trying to extract the lake front from a conversation about these neighborhoods, well.. the park west of LSD actually extends well into Lakeview. I ran LP all the time and it was wonderful. Not sure how you could ask for anything more - running while watching rowers practice in Diversey harbor with the backdrop of the city with mist rising up the water on a crisp, clear sunny morning is an awesome sight to behold. Good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: