Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 AM

31 posts, read 67,301 times

Advertisements

Purchased an older home in Irving Park about 2 years ago... been doing minor improvements here and there - nothing that has required permits to this point (Still amazes me that I can tear off my roof and siding but don't need a permit to do this!)

Have an older metal/concrete porch that needs to go.... its starting to sag and looks like its a hazard...

Anyone have any experience in what a new porch does related to property taxes?

Feeling that I have a large increase coming to support all the mismanagement of city funds and would hate to do this and have my bill jump to an obscene amount.

More than anything - I don't trust the assessor and anyone who can figure out the current property tax formula needs to have graduated from MIT (ok... ok... I'm totally exaggerating here... but I have tried a couple of times to crack the code with no luck). Just see an increase coming as is and while -I sill need to do the porch - just wanted to see what I was setting myself up for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The assesor generally is not going to go out of their way to penalize folks for replacing a crumbling porch with a safe one -- the fact is your home's value will be enhanced by some fraction of what you spend on such on effort (typically about 75% or so of the cost) and odds are the assessment will change more becuase of market forces of your neighbor's sales.

Really, it is silly to not fix your porch over fears like these.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 AM

31 posts, read 67,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The assesor generally is not going to go out of their way to penalize folks for replacing a crumbling porch with a safe one -- the fact is your home's value will be enhanced by some fraction of what you spend on such on effort (typically about 75% or so of the cost) and odds are the assessment will change more becuase of market forces of your neighbor's sales.

Really, it is silly to not fix your porch over fears like these.
I agree with you completely and it’s more of a need than a want at this point.

I will replace/update it - just doing some homework on what I can expect to pay (in addition to build/replacement costs) for "improvements" to my property.

I guarantee that the assessor will not take the state of my current porch into consideration when it comes to assessing this - Barrios wants my $ so he can hire his kids/family for overpaid jobs they are not qualified for (that’s a whole different thread).

Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I agree that this will result in some increase in property taxes but when my sister (in Lincoln Square...) had to do the same kind of thing to her house the amount her tax bill went up was like $50 more than another house the same size that did not have any extra work done -- the trend in the nicer neighborhoods is for the tax to be more driven by overall increased sales (unless you build a whole new house and then be prepared for some bills double / triple the average...).

Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
From what you posted it looks like you're just repairing/replacing an existing element of your house. That will have no impact at all. Adding square footage to an existing building or building an entirely new structure on the lot are the only things you really need to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: