Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,667 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is meline and I'm graduating from school in the spring and was thinking about moving chicago right after graduation. I've been working as a tutor and teacher aid for the blast 4 years and have saved up about $5600. Before graduation I was going to look for a job, not one in my degree field(BS Mathmatics) but just a regular job. I was wondering what would some good tips on moving to a different state and what steps do I need to take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 03:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,667 times
Can someone please answer me?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Hi Meline -
Congratulations on being so close to your graduation. Sometimes it is fun to take off and go experience living in a new place, but it does always work out better with lots of preparation. Do you know any friends or acquaintances who might be willing to move with you? It's always easier to have a companion along for company, safety, and to split the bills. One thing I would do to start is to make a Pros/Cons list and start to research the city and write down things that strike you as important. Some things only you can do, for example, figuring out where about in the huge metropolitan area of Chicago you would like and be able to afford to live. You can do this by reading and researching, and talking with people who have lived in Chicago. One thing you did not mention is whether you will be moving with or without a car. That one issue is very important, because that may influence where you may need to live. I would start by reading some of the threads that are already here on City Data about "Moving to Chicago". I would also go visit the "Career Services" department at your college and talk to them. I would take a look at some U.S. Census figures on the cost of living in Chicago and look at demographic maps and read about the city's many neighborhoods. Try to determine where you want to live. Compare these rents to the rents in Dallas to see if you realistically may be able to live all by yourself. Research the online rental guides to learn about rental policies and how they determine whether they will rent to you, or whether you may need a co-signer on a lease. There is a lot of information out there - just start searching very specific questions and that should help you find more specific information. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
So you plan on moving with no job lined up? Chicago is very expensive as you probably know. Do you plan on having a roommate? Do you know anyone there? Will you be able to visit before you make the move?
When I have moved to another state I did not have the job or money issue. What I did do was research areas in the new state on these boards. I inquired about safety, cost of living, looked and called about rentals. Then when I arrived in the new state I stayed in a hotel while I looked at the places in person. This also allowed me to get a feel for myself on the area in terms of safety and what was near by such as shopping so forth.
I think you really need to determine what you will do for employment and your moving/living costs. 5000 is not much and is going to go real quick. I am not trying to be negative. Good luck

Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedegirly93 View Post
Can someone please answer me?
Be patient! You posted this after midnight. Sometimes it takes a bit for people to answer your questions, especially if it is the middle of the night.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,787 times
Hey DedGirly, You might consider using Pods or ABF to ship your inventory as an alternative to renting a truck and driving it yourself. One thing is for sure, use Move-tastic! when you get to Chicago, they are hands down the best movers in the city. I wouldn't even consider another company. They can pick your stuff up at a shipper's yard or unload your truck for you.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
First off, Read some of the old and current threads, along with the sticky's at the top of the forum. Second off, slow your roll. You posted this in the middle of the night.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,295 times
Don't move to Chicago, Cold, Snowy, Windy, Expensive....
Well if you are going to make the move, just plan on 6 to 9 months to get back to where you were in Texas. The cost of moving takes about that long to re-coup from.

Having a job always helps, but you should be prepared for a period of time without one... Jobs are still tough to find in the economy, even with a degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago