Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,946 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My friends and I were discussing what is the best option for someone in their mid to late twenties in terms of purchasing real estate.

These are the main points we are trying to determine:

• Should we keep renting until we are about 30 or buy a place given the urbanization & gentrification trend which should result in increased housing prices and costs.
  • Which decent neighborhood in Chicago can you buy a decent two bedroom condo or house for $150k-$200k?
  • Is it wise to take out a 30 year mortgage given the new employment mantra where layoffs are common and job security is basically nil?
The main reason why each of us wants to buy either a two bedroom condo or house is because we plan on renting out the empty room(s) to give us another source of income and help pay our mortgages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 AM

10 posts, read 24,843 times
I'm currently a renter, but will be looking to buy soon as well. I'm a lender in my day job - commercial loans and real estate so understand a fair amount about RE in general. What I've learned about Chicago's residential real estate market is that prices can vary significantly block to block, and I wouldn't recommend buying in a specific neighborhood just because you think the price will hold simply having that zip code. That's to your first point which you imply speculating on the right areas to buy. There's people out there much smarter than you with insights into the development pipeline of other residential properties, new transportation hubs, other stuff gentrifying that area. I certainly wouldn't buy a house with 200k and finding a 2br condo at that price in a decent area will be unlikely. To your third point, if your asking because you're uncertain of your future employment prospects yourself, then I wouldn't be looking to buy anytime soon, unless you are very liquid. In sum, I think buying a 2br place solely to rent out the other room to subsidize a mortgage is a bad idea. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Solid advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Life View Post
I'm currently a renter, but will be looking to buy soon as well. I'm a lender in my day job - commercial loans and real estate so understand a fair amount about RE in general. What I've learned about Chicago's residential real estate market is that prices can vary significantly block to block, and I wouldn't recommend buying in a specific neighborhood just because you think the price will hold simply having that zip code. That's to your first point which you imply speculating on the right areas to buy. There's people out there much smarter than you with insights into the development pipeline of other residential properties, new transportation hubs, other stuff gentrifying that area. I certainly wouldn't buy a house with 200k and finding a 2br condo at that price in a decent area will be unlikely. To your third point, if your asking because you're uncertain of your future employment prospects yourself, then I wouldn't be looking to buy anytime soon, unless you are very liquid. In sum, I think buying a 2br place solely to rent out the other room to subsidize a mortgage is a bad idea. Good luck!
Watching some of the TV shows on the "home improvement" channels makes it seem like being a landlord is some easy task and turning a profit is a given. Neither is at all true. Even in "hot" neighborhoods finding high quality tenants that take their responsibility to pay on time is much harder than it would seem -- many renters have very poor ability to manage their personal finances. Especially in the significantly dicey category of folks looking "for a room" things like petty theft and lack of basic sanitation can make for a nightmare of problems...

Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM

89 posts, read 264,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Watching some of the TV shows on the "home improvement" channels makes it seem like being a landlord is some easy task and turning a profit is a given. Neither is at all true. Even in "hot" neighborhoods finding high quality tenants that take their responsibility to pay on time is much harder than it would seem -- many renters have very poor ability to manage their personal finances. Especially in the significantly dicey category of folks looking "for a room" things like petty theft and lack of basic sanitation can make for a nightmare of problems...
I agree with Chet. Taking on the responsibility of homeownership for the first time is typically enough. Simultaneously becoming a homeowner AND a landlord is likely too much. Your first step should be to speak to a mortgage lender for a pre-approval without any supplemental rental income. See what you can afford on your own. If you happen to have a buddy who wants to rent your second bedroom once you own, that's great, but I wouldn't suggest relying on that supplemental income. Also, I don't know what neighborhoods you're interested in, but some of the more popular areas (Lincoln Park, River North) won't have any 2-bedrooms for under $200,000.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM

86 posts, read 159,593 times
I wouldn't live in Lincoln Park or River North if you paid me.

I got a 2BR in Edgewater for just a shade over $160k. If you can float the full mortgage payment without a renter its probably do-able. There are lots of other parts of the city where you can find 2BR condos for under $200k... unless you insist on living in Chadville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: