Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 07:02 AM

13 posts, read 16,429 times

Advertisements

Hey all-

I am a senior about to finish up my undergrad studies at UIC.

I am trying to get an idea of what neighborhoods to look at , so I can begin to piece together a rough budget for when and if I land a job.

I am an urban planning student, so i know a decent amount about most neighborhoods, and these are some of the affordiable and safe ones that have popped into my head:

-Uptown
-Pilsen
-Bridgeport
-Avondale

Any other suggestions?

I am looking generally at studios that accept small dogs, something under 900.

Utilities included is a plus. How much are electricity costs? I feel like that is the one utility that may make or break me.

I expect to make 30-45k a year starting out, so the more I can save the better.

I will have no car, and will rely on CTA/bike to get around. So somewhere that has alot of shops (food, personal needs,etc) nearby is desirable. Accesability to the el is good too, i could be a mile or half mile from a stop and that is perfect. I do not have to be directly next to it.

I will be graduating with no loans or financial obligations, but i do plan on balancing saving and spending.

Also, how does renting work with someone that has no credit? Would I have to have my parents cosign? (Not a problem).

I will probally be living alone for a year until my partner joins me. She will add more income, but that is a different story.

Hope my jumbled post makes sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
I'd also include Edgewater on that list and probably parts of Albany Park too. If you have no credit history, someone (i.e. parents) will probably have to cosign. You can also find studios for under $900/month in Lakeview and possibly Roscoe Village. Hyde Park and Logan Square may be a possibility too and you may want to look at areas of Rogers Park. Of course most of these areas do have dicey areas too which you probably know about already, but they all have good areas too.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:37 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I would focus on finding a place near where you are employed. Further "expecting" to make $30-45K is very different than having a job offer for that amount. It may be wise to get that nailed down first...

Old 05-12-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would focus on finding a place near where you are employed. Further "expecting" to make $30-45K is very different than having a job offer for that amount. It may be wise to get that nailed down first...
This is true, i do realize this but I have too much time on my hands this summer ( i do work and act as a consultant and gotsome internships lined up), just trying to be forward thinking

I got the number from job postings in the areas I hope toneork in, they were generally around that amount.

Not guarenteed but a good idea.

Last edited by Rosskin92; 05-12-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 AM

As you may know the trend for many land use firms in the region remains biased toward "contractors" and full time employment is often at greatly reduced salaries . Many firms have been forced to take more assignments out of the region and that requires considerable travel... Frankly, a whole more jobs outside the region these days - Find a Job Just saying, I'd keep all my options open.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As you may know the trend for many land use firms in the region remains biased toward "contractors" and full time employment is often at greatly reduced salaries . Many firms have been forced to take more assignments out of the region and that requires considerable travel... Frankly, a whole more jobs outside the region these days - Find a Job Just saying, I'd keep all my options open.
Luckially, because I have no debt my options are open.

i have been looking at places like philly, portland, seattle, other parts of the south east. Grew up in boston but its extremely expensive and over saturated in my eyes. NYC is the same boat.

Would love to live in a place where i dont have to drive, but I am still open to many things.

I forgot to mention what my field/focus is specicall... I am going towards community outreach/liason, program coordinator, community development, non profits.

The degree from UIC addresses these areas and urban planning. Urban planning is great but hard to get into at first, and the areas I listed above have been receptive and show need. The connections I am gaininh have helped tremendiously with addressig the skills i need, finding internships and mentors. One of the good things about staying here vs leaving is the amount of connections that I have.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Always smart to "work your connections" -- I hope things work out for you. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago