Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 06:49 PM

356 posts, read 543,092 times

Advertisements

Any good ice fishin 'round these parts? Can you drive your Volvo AWD on the lake and fish from the car? Is the ice thick enuf to hold my Hummer without crashin thru?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
I participate in
ice trials -- essentially
autocross on a frozen lake. The furthest south where we can consistently hold events is in Hustisford Wisconsin, which is about an hour northwest of Milwaukee. And even that far north, we have sometimes had to cut seasons short because of weather. Two years ago we even had to cancel the entire season as I don't think ice ever even formed on the lake, much less thick enough to hold a few dozen cars. The closest place I know of where ice trials have been consistently carried out for the full season schedule is in Eagle River WI, which is a solid six hours north of here.

Last edited by Drover; 12-27-2007 at 01:22 AM..

Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM

939 posts, read 2,381,319 times
You might try http://www.lake-link.com for good ice fishing information. On this site there are reports on ice thickness, as well as general fishing info., for many of the lakes in MI, WI, and MN. I don't think there are too many places in NE IL that are safe for ice fishing right now. There is ice fishing currently happening on the lake that I'm most familiar with, about an hour north of Madison, but the ice is still sloppy in places and nowhere near ready for trucks or ATVs. However, most winters they do eventually drive trucks on it.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times
I wouldn't recommend ice fishing in IL unless it has been really really cold (0 degrees F for about a week) because many of the ponds and little lakes around here are spring fed (warm ground water) and don't freeze very thick, not to mention that overall the weather here really doesn't get cold enough to cause thick ice. Temps for the most part have been hovering from 30-40 degrees daily with a few days here and there where high temps don't go above 30, so that won't make for very safe ice fishing conditions and especially won't make thick enough ice to drive onto like you see in "Grumpy Old Men" filmed supposedly in Wabasha Co., MN.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:57 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
Any good ice fishin 'round these parts? Can you drive your Volvo AWD on the lake and fish from the car? Is the ice thick enuf to hold my Hummer without crashin thru?
Nothing near the Chicago region. You would have to go further north I'd imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago