Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 05:10 PM

66 posts, read 339,928 times

Advertisements

I am interested the three great West Side parks Garfield, Columbus and Humboldt. I love urban parks, and would love to explore these next time I'm in Chicago. I am a middle aged guy who appreciates landscape architecture, and I would be alone, or with my teen age daughter.

Any extra precautions we should take? (We're experienced urban tourists.)

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Nothing beyond the standard urban cautions. All three of these parks are in areas that are at least questionable, but you shouldn't have any problems during daylight hours. Just stay aware of your surroundings, and unless you're familiar with the area, don't do too much exploring of the neighborhoods around them.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
The Garfield Park Conservatory, technically not in Garfield Park but right across the street is a wonderful, underappreciated gem well worth visiting as well.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
I've felt spooked (single, non-Black guy on a bicycle) in Columbus Park and in parts of Garfield Park off the beaten path. However, you'll be fine as long as you don't linger too long, keep your wits about you, and go earlier in the day. If you see something suspicious, just move on, and acknowledge everyone you pass. Sadly, most of the wide open vistas that Jensen envisioned have been filled in with ballfields, golf courses, and the like, leaving most of his original landscape vision (and, most importantly, the restored bits) closest to the water features that grace each of his parks.

For a one-day bike or car tour, I'd suggest that you have breakfast in Oak Park and pack a lunch. Start early in Columbus with a walk around the lake, exploring the wooded paths around the "prairie river." (The waterfall, like all city park fountains, only works May through September.) Proceed along Washington Boulevard to Garfield Park's Music Court and formal garden, then north to the Golden Dome and stone bridge and finally to the majestic Conservatory and its grounds, including the demonstration garden behind and Garfield Market Place in the former stables to the north. Follow the boulevards (Franklin and Sacramento) up to Humboldt Park, passing the stables (don't know when the Puerto Rican art museum will open) and using the boathouse as base for a walk around the restored lake landscape. Proceed along the grand boulevards up to Logan Square and have dinner at Lula.

You might also detour one block on Sacramento to see the rain garden at the Chicago Center for Green Technology, among the nation's most environmentally advanced buildings.

This itinerary leaves out Douglas Park, which has a somewhat nondescript Flower Court but a lovely fieldhouse, and McKinley Park, the largest of the West Parks Commission's "social reform" parks and a great place to get a feel for the industrial immigrant neighborhoods that were once Chicago's soul.

Bring a copy of the AIA Guide to Chicago with you, as well as any books you can find on Jens Jensen. The Chicago Park District website also has extensive descriptions of each park's landscapes. The one neighborhood I might recommend contrary to Drover's advice is the Midway Park area of Austin, extensively covered in the AIA Guide.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
What a great idea! I'm going to do the same when the weather improves. I've been to the Garfield Park Conservatory before and have wandered around Humboldt Park a little bit, but there is much more to see.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
If you get a chance, pick this book up before you go to the Garfield Park Conservatory (or get it while you're there). Just came out last month, and gives an excellent history of the park, as well as the neighborhood and its importance there. Some incredible photographs as well
Amazon.com: Inspired by Nature: The Garfield Park Conservatory and Chicago's West Side: Books: Julia Sniderman Bachrach,Jo Ann Nathan,Alex Kotlowitz

Quote:
One of the nation’s most stunning and intriguing botanical havens, the Garfield Park Conservatory celebrates its one-hundredth anniversary in 2008. Often referred to as “landscape art under glass,” Jens Jensen’s revolutionary design is a poetic interpretation of his beloved Midwestern landscape as it was in prehistoric times. The tropical plantings, water features and stonework were in shocking contrast to the showy displays of typical Victorian hothouses, and his Conservatory quickly became one of the region’s most captivating attractions.

The Conservatory is at the center of a larger story: how nature, urban design, and horticulture helped to shape one of Chicago’s most interesting neighborhoods. As early as the 1870s, architect and engineer William Le Baron Jenney began the verdant tradition of Chicago’s West Side by designing its seminal park and boulevard system. For more than a century, ideas and visions of nature have influenced the development of Garfield Park, its magnificent conservatory, and the surrounding West Side community. Today gardening and the greening movement are a catalyst for reviving this vital part of Chicago.

Published in honor of the centennial, Inspired by Nature blossoms into a living history that looks to the future, and covers everything from the history of the conservatory and Garfield Park to the revival of the surrounding community. This fascinating and comprehensive volume includes historical essays, archival photography and plans, as well as contemporary color photography by Brook Collins. Inspired by Nature also features vignettes by Chicago Public School students, who write about their experiences as members of the Garfield Park Community. A reflection of the passionate interest and partnerships behind the Garfield Park revival, as well as a celebration of nature’s important role in people’s lives, Inspired by Nature is an essential publication for anyone with an interest in Chicago history, urban parks and communities, and the botanic splendor of the Garfield Park Conservatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: