Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 9,725 times

Advertisements

Do we have any opinions on what the best residential buildings in Chicago are when it comes to the view? Or is it so widespread?

I guess it all depends on what you consider a good view (lake, city, south, east, etc).

Any opinions? I have lived downtown for about a year now in two different buildings so I'm trying to determine what's best.

Also, as a secondary, what is everyone's opinion on balconies? Overrated?

Thanks!

Last edited by oliminator123; 04-07-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I think it's all personal choice, but IMO the best views are of the skyline from a little bit of a distance. For example, I have friends who live in areas of Old Town, Lincoln Park, and West Town with huge unobstructed views of the skyline. I live downtown and have a good view of River North's skyline, but their views are better than mine for sure.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:56 AM

I agree. Having a view of the lake is a dream for some people, while the skyline is a dream for others.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Of the buildings I've been in to personally see views, I think that for residential buildings I really like the southward city views from 1 Superior really well. The building may be visual crap, but the south views from it are really nice if you like city views.

Also nice:

Hancock building, northward, for lake views.

Park Hyatt building, eastward with park, city and lake views.

Trump east toward the river's mouth.

Aqua from the southwest corner both south to Millennium Park and west along the River's main branch.

Kingsbury Plaza southward can also be really nice.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 AM

89 posts, read 264,778 times
My personal opinion is high rises in the south loop facing north. You have the best skyline views, lake views, and sprawling west views.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
I took this picture of a friends view off the aqua building. The day was crappy which sucks, but on a nice day its gorgeous. Views of trump, john hancock, navy pier and the river/lake.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I have a view of my neighbors living room to the south and my other neighbors backyard to the north an to the west I have Ashland Ave! Who's jealous?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I face east in a kind of gangway, and I have a view of my neighbor's house which blocks all the weather and people walking down the street, so it sucks.

people that have a lake view say that at night it gets VERY dark, and that might be nice during the day but maybe too much darkness at night.

downtown and Streeterville, you have to get a building that does not block the lake. Anything on the new Eastside which has a view of the Chicago River and the buildings across from it, get to see a nice view, especially when winter comes and the city puts up the white lights for Christmas, at night the Chicago River shines with these golden colors from the lights in the city. At other times, during the year, the Chicago River looks like that but especially pretty at christmas.

I've been to a high floor in the Chase Bank building on Dearborn and Clark, and i got a view of the city and its pretty.. not sure if thats still there, but i took an elevator to a high floor and i got to see out a window in the hallway.

any building that faces Grant Park, Lincoln Park (all the way up to Foster) is kinda nice too. You can get a combo lake view and park view and beach view if you live along there and Marine Drive.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I took this picture of a friends view off the aqua building. The day was crappy which sucks, but on a nice day its gorgeous. Views of trump, john hancock, navy pier and the river/lake.
Nice view.

I currently reside in Aqua (just moved here) and here is my view.

I would love to see other's views as well. I am one not to stay still and would love if anyone had a northern night facing view from Aqua by any chance.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
The best residential views are from the Del Prado apartments on 53rd street. You get the lake, the park, Lake Shore Drive and the downtown skyline.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago