Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here bought a car in WI or IL to save on the Chicago sales tax? If you have relatives in either state, you can register the car to them but I think if you want a neighborhood parking sticker, you have to register the car in Chicago but not necessarily buy it here. Correct?

Am I missing something on why you wouldn't buy outside of Chicago to save considerable money on taxes?

(also, if anyone has great tips on buying a used car from the dealer, would love to hear them).
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,620 times
If you try to register the car in Illinois, you'll have to pay use tax at the time of registration on the difference between the sales tax paid to the state where you purchased and the Illinois rate (generally 6.25% but higher in the collar counties).

Illinois Tax Requirements for Vehicles

AFAIK it's not necessary to have Illinois plates to get a city sticker and zone permit.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:00 PM

199 posts, read 618,299 times
I bought a new pick up truck in Wisconsin and live in Chicago. They get you for the Illinois taxes at the dealership if it's going to be registered in Illinois.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:13 AM

40 posts, read 147,975 times
Basically, your SOS. I know this because I bought a car 3 months ago. They will get you.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:19 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Has anyone here bought a car in WI or IL to save on the Chicago sales tax? If you have relatives in either state, you can register the car to them but I think if you want a neighborhood parking sticker, you have to register the car in Chicago but not necessarily buy it here. Correct?

Am I missing something on why you wouldn't buy outside of Chicago to save considerable money on taxes?

(also, if anyone has great tips on buying a used car from the dealer, would love to hear them).
Thanks
Agree with the other posters if you register in Illinois you will pay the sales tax for Illinois.

On the flip side you just may be about even it costs more to plate a vehicle in Indiana than in Illinois.

Nothing is for free the money comes from your front or back pocket both states will willingly take your money.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the comments. I figured that they would get the taxes one way or another so thanks for confirming.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Also, a lot times you can negotiate a better price here than in WI or IN.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
I've done this, bought a car in Indiana (not to avoid the tax, but because I thought I was getting a better deal, but I had no intention of paying the extra tax) and boy was I surprised when I got a tax bill from the State of Illinois! The same will happen to you. Sorry.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Any car buying pros out there?
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on a particular lease promotion that we're considering with Acura. I've never leased a car before but I've read up on some of the small print pitfalls to be aware of. We both have over 800 credit so we will qualify. We're also going to negotiate the annual mileage to be 15k instead of 10k. My only other concern are the 'fees' that are excluded. Deal expires 1/3/2012. I've looked at several other manufacturer promotions on leases and virtually all of them require money down ($2-3K).
Any opinions on this deal?

Here's the details:
2012 MDX 6 Speed Automatic Featured Special Lease -
$0 Due at Lease Signing
$0 down payment

$0 security deposit
$0 first month's payment
due at lease signing Excludes taxes, titles and fees
$570 a month for 35 months thereafter

Excludes taxes, titles and fees. For well-qualified lessees.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
I believe its called a cap cost (actual sales price of the auto or a cap cost reduction.

Ask the dealer the sales price of the vehicle (cap cost) or (cap cost reduction)
Try to negotiate that down.

Be careful with a trade in

if you plan in trading a vehicle negotiate the lease first without telling the thieves then throw it in at the very last minute

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: