Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:44 PM

528 posts, read 712,261 times

Advertisements

I've been in this city 15 years and every year I get better clothing, but still I freeze! I am a thin person, so get cold quickly.

I struggle with what to cover my face without looking like a bank robber or a skiier?! Also I wear thin wool underthermals under jeans, but my legs still freeze. What to do?

What kinds of socks go with dress shoes? I tried wool socks, but they are too thick. Or should I invest in boots? If so, which kind is not clunkly but stylish and easy to put on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
You wear layers. More layers. Silk thermals, fleece tights beneath. Shirts, sweater, additional cardigan. Add a scarf/pashmina to wear inside and out.

You wear a coat that goes at least to the knees or longer that is warm - get a down puffer if you are always cold or a thinsulate lined wool or cashmere blend. Stylish ones are more fitted at the waist and have interesting necklines/colors. Then add knee high boots that are of good quality to be weather resistant and lined/warm.

Now is a great time to buy high quality coats and boots at deep discount... The after Xmas clearance sales. Scour the websites like 6pm for high quality La Canadiennes or Aquitalia boots.

It's not that hard to be warm. I'm also thin and always cold if I don't dress well.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times

Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Really not that hard. Wear a sweatshirt, get a scarf, get some gloves, etc. If you're still cold, then put a shirt on under your sweatshirt. Zip it up. If you want more stylish, then go for a wool coat, or something like a Canada Goose type of coat that's more winter-ish looking. When it's slightly warmer out, get a leather jacket if you're into that and put it with the scarf.

For a lot of things, it depends on how much you want to spend or how stylish you already are. If you already are stylish, you'll be able to know what to do without breaking the bank if you don't want to. Clunky shoes are a sign of cheapness and IMO, shoes are the one thing that is worth it to spend more money on. You should already know what kind of socks go with dress shoes ..this is easy.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Layers. The top layer or the one immediately under it should be good at completely blocking the wind. Keep in mind that even though it is considered a luxury fabric, cashmere is the warmest natural fiber, so if you want to be warm and have the money, it's the least-bulky thing you can buy to build up layers of warmth. And always wear a hat. Hoods, while not always the sexiest things, are indeed warmer than a hat/scarf combo because they trap any heat that escapes from your neck area. Also be sure you're wearing your scarves correctly - scarves are to protect your neck and to block the heat from your torso from escaping around your neck, so they are most effective under your top layer and should be long enough to wrap completely around your neck twice - the stylish method of making a loop and threading the ends through it is not the warmest method.

And remember, in climates where the cold can actually be life-threateningly severe, like here in Chicago, at the end of the day staying warm trumps fashion.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
And remember, in climates where the cold can actually be life-threateningly severe, like here in Chicago, at the end of the day staying warm trumps fashion.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 AM

255 posts, read 583,725 times
I have Reynauds, and it is very hard for me to keep my extremities warm. My fingers and feet turn bright white, even on warmer days. I agree that layers and layers is the best thing you can do. I wear 2 pairs of socks, and thus have to get boots that are a size larger than my regular shoes. I have a double-layered parka and double-layered gloves. It's 0 this morning, so I will be wearing my balaclava over my head/face, with a hat over that, and a neck scarf over that. I couldn't care less what I look like, and I often get teased, but I'd rather be warm and not have pain in my hands and feet.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Really not that hard. Wear a sweatshirt, get a scarf, get some gloves, etc. If you're still cold, then put a shirt on under your sweatshirt. Zip it up. If you want more stylish, then go for a wool coat, or something like a Canada Goose type of coat that's more winter-ish looking. When it's slightly warmer out, get a leather jacket if you're into that and put it with the scarf.

For a lot of things, it depends on how much you want to spend or how stylish you already are. If you already are stylish, you'll be able to know what to do without breaking the bank if you don't want to. Clunky shoes are a sign of cheapness and IMO, shoes are the one thing that is worth it to spend more money on. You should already know what kind of socks go with dress shoes ..this is easy.
Did you want to start a new reality show straight eye for the gay guy? You could give fashion tips to gay men who don't know how to dress.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
This is the way to go -- C.E. Schmidt Men's Duck Quilt-Lined Insulated Coverall - Tractor Supply Co.

Order it big enough to zip over your stylish in-office apparel. You just stop by the coat rack and like Clark Kent transforming into Superman you go form "invincible cold weather warrior" to "discreetly stylish goo-goo for gaga stud muffin"...

Your legs are fully covered, there are no gaps for cold air to blow up your coat, you'll look like an ironworker on your way to do manly things like rivet together a high rise, it will change your life...

Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 PM

304 posts, read 364,398 times
You wear layers underneath your garments however the biggest problem I see here is that you are still wearing those "grandpa" checked thermal long Johns under your pants. Never, ever do this. This is extremely unsexy especially during times when you or a partner will be undressing you. Always wear "UnderArmour" brand cold gear instead. They make two key garments. One of them is a long sleeve t-shirt (it's made of very tight spandex) and the other is a pair of long johns (same thing made of black nylon and spandex). This started with athletes and football players for the cold season but now everyone wears it and as long as you have this suit on underneath everything it's super comfortable and warm. Get a long overcoat, and boots with heels if you wish. As others mentioned the more stylish ones are indeed fitted at the waist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago