Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times

Advertisements

Room to grow is one thing. This proposed tower is grotesquely out of scale with not just the adjacent building but also other building along the periphery.

The Smurfit-Stone Building, with it distinctive diagonal, is forty one stories, Two Prudential Plaza is 64 stories, BCBS is 57.

Heck this proposal is taller than Aon's 83 floors, and that building has an ENORMOUS plaza that surrounds it.

Would say this is the right site for a residential tower to rival something in Kuala Lumpur or Dubai? Is Chicago that desperate to grab headlines???

In short there is no reason for this to be SO BIG other than the outsized desires of its developers to rope in clueless foreign investors.

It is not that we should leave a vacant lot along S. Michigan Ave, but that the aesthetics, economics and pleasantness of the setting would be better served by a building that was MUCH less tall...

This yet another example of folks with utterly no sense for what happens when government is run by one-side fools with a slavish devotion to increasing revenue -- the income inequality that so folks are so upset about are negatively effected by these decisions. The relative increase in density is still going to make any positive changes for a street that literally fronts Grant Park and will continue to have wildly fluctuating resident populations as the ups and downs of Columbia College sees spikes and dips or the Hilton fills up for big event and then becomes a ghost town.

The proper way to manage a proposal like this is not by rolling over and letting a developer build whatever they want because is has a "brand name" architect, but getting the kind of structure that is right for this important setting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
Say what you will about the design, but the "out of character" comment is pure nonsense (not surprising its coming from the resident board pessimist who would find something to fault with chocolate cake and rainbows and puppy dogs too)

Every skyscraper in this city was out of character when it was built

i rest my case. find a new hobby, chet

Old 09-25-2015, 01:53 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
A lot of them, at least early on. If everything was truly to be put in scale with everything else, it would have taken way more years to reach the height levels we have today in skyscrapers around the world. It would be a 10 story building, then a 15 story one, then 20, etc. Sometimes you have to break conformity.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:55 PM

Marina City is 65 stories, includes a rather large base, with the current House of Blue and adjacent bowling alley, altogether takes up MORE THAN A CITY BLOCK.

Sears tower COVERS the whole block bounded by Frankline/Wacker/Jackson/Adams

Hancock similarly covers the entirety of the block from Michigan to Mies van der Rohe and Chestnut/Delaware.

The proposed tower is going to be hideously sandwiched, dwarfing everything around it, like a giant middle school sent back to kindergarten for remediation, an apt description of the cry babies here :

Old 09-25-2015, 02:07 PM

You're awfully concerned with the architecture of a city you don't even live in. Why?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Default I like Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You're awfully concerned with the architecture of a city you don't even live in. Why?
What's your excuse?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
What's your excuse?
I highly doubt you like Chicago given how often you bash the ever living crap out of the city in nearly every post.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Default I often recommend very good spots for people to live, eat, be entertained, send their kids to school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I highly doubt you like Chicago given how often you bash the ever living crap out of the city in nearly every post.
...while you are busy being critical of me.

Why don't you focus on trying to be helpful? You might learn something.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Say what you will about the design, but the "out of character" comment is pure nonsense (not surprising its coming from the resident board pessimist who would find something to fault with chocolate cake and rainbows and puppy dogs too)

i rest my case. find a new hobby, chet
The case is closed and yet Chet continues. Is anyone surprised?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Why don't you focus on trying to be helpful? You might learn something.
Yeah. Most of the posts are not helpful at all. I forgot, I just spew out data that's not facts and my links when people ask me about apartments are just fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago