Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,119 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been saving up to move to Chicago for several years now, so I have quite a bit of money in the bank. The problem is, as the title says, I have nobody to stay with in the city and I imagine most landlords would want a proof of income or employment. So basically, I can't move unless I have a job, but I can't find a job unless I move. Or at least, I imagine it would be incredibly difficult to find a job unless I move, but I still intend to try anyway. So I have a few questions about my situation:

1. How likely is it that I'd be able to find a job here while moving roughly 6-8 hours away? I work in office administration, by the way.

2. I have enough money saved up to pay for about 1-2 years of rent. Would this convince many landlords to overlook the fact I have no job lined up? I hear that a lot of them won't, as it may violate state laws, but I don't know what the law in Illinois is.

3. If both of these fail, then what are my options? Chicago has been my dream city and I don't want to give up that easily. Could I perhaps try looking for roommates to stay with while I look for a job? I haven't looked yet, but I'd imagine most roommates would want some kind of proof of insurance as well. I've also looked into cheap motels or hostels I could stay at for a while, but all seem fairly expensive. Any alternative plans would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 PM

80 posts, read 102,918 times
In the two different apartments I rented, both landlords happily accepted a view of the money I had in a bank account (and a credit check) in lieu of anything else. Hopefully it will be the same for you!

Old 08-21-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjttt View Post
In the two different apartments I rented, both landlords happily accepted a view of the money I had in a bank account (and a credit check) in lieu of anything else. Hopefully it will be the same for you!
Thanks for the info, that's a big sigh of relief for me!

Any other anecdotes/words of advice from anyone else would be great.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
As a former landlord I agree that it is generally acceptable to provide proof of sufficient savings and a clean background check when relocating. That said, it certainly makes a whole lot of sense to make every effort to have a decent job lined up well before moving -- should you find out that your skills are insufficient to land any kind of employment that will pay you enough to survive your "dream city" will quickly become a nightmare that sees you demoralized and financially wiped out...

The Best Strategy to Land a Job in a Different City | Chron.com

Old 08-22-2016, 09:06 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclesion View Post
1. How likely is it that I'd be able to find a job here while moving roughly 6-8 hours away?
6 to 8 hours away?

Quote:
2. I have enough money saved up to pay for about 1-2 years of rent. Would this convince many landlords to overlook the fact I have no job lined up?
Depends on the landlord. Some landlords prefer cash. So they won't ever ask how much you have saved..

Quote:
I hear that a lot of them won't, as it may violate state laws, but I don't know what the law in Illinois is.
No such law.

Quote:
I've also looked into cheap motels or hostels I could stay at for a while, but all seem fairly expensive.
You meant hotels and not hostels? Hostels are by the day and usually limit to 14 days max.

Why do you want to move to Chicago?

You could live in a rooming house.

Or where I live in, a abandoned building. ;]

Old 08-22-2016, 02:26 PM

306 posts, read 365,033 times
My two tips would be:

1. Offer a larger deposit amount, with the extra portion refundable once you can prove steady income.
2. Look to move at the end of winter. No landlord wants to deal with a deadbeat tenant during the winter because they can't be evicted.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjttt View Post
Same here. And they were very nice places, too.

To the OP: I know of no state laws in Illinois that this would violate. It's up to the landlord's discretion.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
1. Offer a larger deposit amount, with the extra portion refundable once you can prove steady income.
Or, in lieu of a larger deposit amount, offer several months' rent in advance. That's what I did at one place I rented.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
You could live in a rooming house.
What's the best way to go about finding rooming houses?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Thank you everyone who took the time to help me out. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-22-2016 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago