Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Chicago people as nice as other Midwesterners?
Yes. Chicagoans are so nice like the rest of the Midwest. 52 53.61%
No. It's not New York but people are jerks regardless of the fact it's in the Midwest. 45 46.39%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I grew up here so I'm not asking so I'll know whether to move or not. More so want to get opinions of other people. As I've been living across the country my opinion has shifted.

I do some part time work for Uber and a lot of my pax tell me that us city people are so nice. However, after living elsewhere I feel inclined to disagree. Their point of reference is New York so therefore they think since we're not like NYC, we're much nicer. However I feel like even if we're not NYC mean, we're still kind of big city jerks. At least the natives are. I still think it's very "get out of my way" but on a smaller, non-New York scale.

I feel like other regions of the Midwest which are less densely populated have nicer people. Us? Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 08:50 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
I don't know if other Midwestern cities are necessarily "nice," in my experience. Places like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, and even Minneapolis never struck me as teeming with polite people. Some places really just have more passive-aggression, as I've experienced it. Certainly Chicago is not full of "nice" people like the rural Midwest, but I don't think other large Midwestern cities are either.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I don't know if other Midwestern cities are necessarily "nice," in my experience. Places like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, and even Minneapolis never struck me as teeming with polite people. Some places really just have more passive-aggression, as I've experienced it. Certainly Chicago is not full of "nice" people like the rural Midwest, but I don't think other large Midwestern cities are either.
Yeah good point. I think it might be more of a rural thing.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,192 times
Some are, some are not

Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
There's no typical Midwestern type or behavior; people from Shawneetown don't have the same local culture as people from Minnesota.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
I've only experienced life in Chicago and St. Louis when it comes to the Midwest.

I don't know if St. Louis is "friendlier" but they are a lot more "well mannered" The pace of life is a lot slower. No one is trying to compete for a parking space in 30 below wind chill. There is no where near as much traffic to be concerned about. You don't have aggressive homeless people harassing you on every corner. Nor do you have the annoying guy on the Red Line platform annoyingly hollering about loose squares. The quality of life is on a totally different level because of the size of the city. Women are not so on guard thinking that every man wants to holla at them just because they speak.

I don't think that people are jumping out of their skin to welcome you to St. Louis anymore than Chicago.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Clevelanders used to be nice, as in twenty years ago before I left town and moved to Chicago. I just moved back to Cleveland about a month ago, looking forward to the kinder, gentler vibe I remember from my younger days. Sadly, however, Clevelanders appear to have become ruder and more aggressive during the time I've been away. I used to see a marked difference from Chicago in this regard, but now, not so much.

It could be more of a "times have changed" thing, rather than geography. There has been an increase in coarseness, and a decline in manners, nationwide. Cleveland always was a bit behind the times, but eventually it does catch up to the trends.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:06 PM

Where does this idea of Midwestern niceness come from?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Where does this idea of Midwestern niceness come from?
Not from Shawneetown or Bellville, I'll tell ya that.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:29 PM

97 posts, read 152,524 times
I've lived in Chicago for years, and can't remember ever encountering random acts of kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago