Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:17 AM

574 posts, read 689,823 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone. I am from the area, lived on south side for a while, but spent majority of my years in the south suburbs. I now live in the twin cities and I will be moving back to get my finance masters degree from UIC (possibly DePaul, but most likely UIC). I work for US Bank and I have several positions that I can transfer to in Chicago, plus connections at BMO and Chase banks, so I will apply to those companies as well. As for now, I am moving alone for the first year and I will eventually move my fiance and two children here after the first year. I am initially looking for a one bedroom or studio, and I will move into something larger when I move my family here. We had two cars, but I sold one and my fiance is going to keep it here in Minnesota with her, so I'll be car less for the first year. I really want to be near public transit.

In a perfect world, I would prefer Lincoln Park/Wicker Park/Bucktown. But this is reality, so the neighborhoods I am high on are Logan Square, Uptown, and possibly the outer fringes of Lakeview. Other neighborhoods I am considering but don't know too much about them are Pilsen, Avondale, Edgewater, Irving Park, Bronzeville, Hyde Park, and University Village. If I stay with US Bank I will be working downtown and I am aiming for something for $1000 a month, but am willing to go up to $1200. I want to be in a walkable area, near transit and stores/restauarants/shops. I am also seeking easy access to the loop and UIC. I'm an African American male in my late 20's if that helps. I am really excited to move back to the gratest city on earth!

Last edited by Mr Ambitious; 03-18-2017 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 AM

155 posts, read 160,860 times
Logan Square isn't affordable anymore. You'd have to go further out to Avondale, things should still be pretty cheap there. You'll be able to find something in all of those hoods for 1200. (Just obviously really small the trendier the neighborhood.)

For needing to be close to the loop I think you could also look at Old Town or UK Village. If you look north of the loop I would say stay close to Lake Shore Drive for the best transit options for rent prices. The southern edge of Uptown would probably be best for you.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
You really need to narrow your focus if you want any real advice (and I'm not sure what you're asking..there's no question in your post). You've targeted half of the city for work, study, and living.

Assuming you are asking for recommendations on neighborhoods, honestly rents under $1000 are very hard to come by--anywhere. Probably you could find something in Bronzeville, but that neighborhood isn't what most of us call 'walkable'. Everywhere else, even Pilsen and Avondale, rents are above $1000.

I do find that neighborhoods like Lakeview and Lincoln Park have smaller units, so you may actually have an easier time finding something there. In areas like Wicker Park and Bucktown, the rents are cheaper per square foot but the units are larger so the bottom line ends up the same.

Logan Square and Avondale are more family neighborhoods, so one-bedrooms and especially studios are hard to find.

It's not that easy to transfer between Blue and Brown lines, so I suggest you decide which school you are going to, first. That will help narrow down the neighborhoods. Hyde Park is cool but it's not that easy to get to the rest of the city from there. There are Metra trains and buses, but you would need to transfer downtown to get to either school.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:53 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
How about Tri-Taylor?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. What I am really looking for is a relatively safe, affordable neigborhood. I want to be near transit and not too far from downtown. If I have to choose between easy access to the loop vs easy access to UIC, I would prefer easy access to the loop since I'll be at work more than I'll be at school. Safety is a large factor, although I grew up in a crime ridden town and I can tolerate a little sketchiness. I want to be in a place where I can walk to stores and restaurants. Once again, I'm not expecting much given my $1000-$1200 range, but I would at least like to be reasonably close to the core.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green apple View Post
Logan Square isn't affordable anymore. You'd have to go further out to Avondale, things should still be pretty cheap there. You'll be able to find something in all of those hoods for 1200. (Just obviously really small the trendier the neighborhood.)

For needing to be close to the loop I think you could also look at Old Town or UK Village. If you look north of the loop I would say stay close to Lake Shore Drive for the best transit options for rent prices. The southern edge of Uptown would probably be best for you.
I am very interested in UK village, but Old Town is a little out my range, right? I'll be visiting the city in two weeks to do a campus tour of UIC and to visit some of the neighborhoods to get a feel for them. I do not plan on renting a car to get a feel for how the CTA functions, although I'll ocassionally use Uber if need be.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 AM

102 posts, read 124,141 times
Check out Ukrainian Village. If you could find something in Logan Square you could take a bus to DePaul if you end up there?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How about Tri-Taylor?
I haven't done much research on Tri-Taylor, but the location seems perfect. I can walk to school and take the blue line right into the loop. There are a few restaurants and stores along Taylor and Western, but the neighborhood does border some areas that I believe are a little rough (north lawndale and east garfield park) which makes me a little skeptical. From Google street view its looks ok on some blocks, but I will be sure to visit it in person, especially since I will be in the immediate area during my school visit.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:58 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Thanks for the replies. What I am really looking for is a relatively safe, affordable neigborhood. I want to be near transit and not too far from downtown. If I have to choose between easy access to the loop vs easy access to UIC, I would prefer easy access to the loop since I'll be at work more than I'll be at school. Safety is a large factor, although I grew up in a crime ridden town and I can tolerate a little sketchiness. I want to be in a place where I can walk to stores and restaurants. Once again, I'm not expecting much given my $1000-$1200 range, but I would at least like to be reasonably close to the core.
I would suggest looking in Irving Park, somewhere close to one of the Blue Line stops. A quick look at craigslist showed that there are a number of apartments in your price range, and even slightly below it. And the Blue Line can take you directly to both the Loop and UIC.

Area is relatively safe, maybe a little gang activity in spots but not too daunting, not a lot of interest going on there (nightlife, etc.) but there are a number of good ethnic restaurants.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
I haven't done much research on Tri-Taylor, but the location seems perfect. I can walk to school and take the blue line right into the loop. There are a few restaurants and stores along Taylor and Western, but the neighborhood does border some areas that I believe are a little rough (north lawndale and east garfield park) which makes me a little skeptical. From Google street view its looks ok on some blocks, but I will be sure to visit it in person, especially since I will be in the immediate area during my school visit.
I think the basic rule of the thumb is to stay east of Western and it's generally fine with the parts of Tri-Taylor west of Western looking rougher than it actually is. It's by no means a perfect neighborhood, but it's pretty safe with a decent amount of amenities and walkability that's well-located for what you've said and is in your price range. Maybe do a search of the forum for Tri-Taylor and see if that turns up more information.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-20-2017 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago