Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 AM

483 posts, read 410,014 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I am definitely coming to Chicago in March rather its cold or not!! My thing is, I'm coming solo and I'd like to go out at night. I know this may sound silly but will I be fine to go out alone at night?

Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,865,724 times
As long as you stay out of areas that you likely would have no desire to go to, you will be fine.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:49 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,498,956 times
As long as you practice common sense, sure.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:09 PM

483 posts, read 410,014 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I just want to experience the city at night. When I go out I'm not into clubs. I like bars. I may want to take in a show but nothing outrageous.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-17-2017 at 03:02 PM..

Old 07-14-2017, 09:28 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,358,196 times
I would buy a cheap, "burner" phone and keep that on you instead of an expensive iPhone/Galaxy to lessen your risk of getting jumped and robbed. Also, pick the right purse; a bag with a cross-body strap is harder for someone to snatch.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:52 PM

41 posts, read 55,300 times
Just to chime in as a lifelong Chicago resident who has no vested interest in the real estate industry or the neighborhoods being discussed, to call uptown and edgewater among the safest neighborhoods in Chicago is a stretch. As an adult male, I would not feel comfortable walking through these neighborhoods at night. I visited these neighborhoods plenty of times when I had friends at Loyola. I also worked downtown for many years and would walk to the metra train station at night and had no issues. Years later, I was in the loop for a company holiday party and I was walking to the event space, and it seemed like there were alot of hooligans walking around in large groups. I felt like I had to walk in the street vs. the sidewalk. That said, if you are visiting Chicago, and stick to the popular "yuppie" neighborhoods, you will be completely fine and don't need to worry.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,358,196 times
Umm, guys, I can think of very few reasons why the OP would ever go north of Addison, never mind step foot in either Uptown or Edgewater. Not saying there isn't stuff up there to do, but unless she has a strong interest in checking out the Green Mill or passing through Edgewater on her way to Andersonville to check out some place like Hopleaf, I can't think of many places in these 'hoods that will draw up a tourist visiting in the winter. Heck, I used to live in Uptown and rarely had reason to hang out in Uptown. Regardless if it's safer than Lincoln Park or more dangerous than the South Side, it doesn't matter in this case.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 776,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Umm, guys, I can think of very few reasons why the OP would ever go north of Addison, never mind step foot in either Uptown or Edgewater. Not saying there isn't stuff up there to do, but unless she has a strong interest in checking out the Green Mill or passing through Edgewater on her way to Andersonville to check out some place like Hopleaf, I can't think of many places in these 'hoods that will draw up a tourist visiting in the winter. Heck, I used to live in Uptown and rarely had reason to hang out in Uptown. Regardless if it's safer than Lincoln Park or more dangerous than the South Side, it doesn't matter in this case.

I know areas once safe like Lincoln park. Lakeview, Wicker Park and Jefferson Park have had crime recently like the rest of the city but are they really as dangerous as Uptown now?

Old 07-15-2017, 08:21 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,926,282 times
I gotta laugh at that person saying Uptown is safe, edge water is safe, downtown at night is safe..
Life long Chicago resident, lived and WORKED in EVERY one of those neighborhoods, and I have one simple question to that person:

Would you send your 21 year old daughter out, alone, walking through those areas, at night, or even the day time?

i wouldnt walk around any of those areas myself without my 9mm in my pocket, and even then, I would be watching the area around me every second...those areas can be safe,but they also can be very dangerous, especially uptown.

And, downtown, after 8pm is loaded with gang bangers, trouble makers, homeless, and cops..

Quit passing out bad info; none of those areas are safe to be in alone, either for a man or a woman
Chicago is the crime capital of the united states, and the best advise is to either move out ASAP, or, only venture out in groups, especially at night

Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 AM

4,660 posts, read 3,280,291 times
andew61, I am a tourist to Chicago often. I enjoy Edison Park, because if you're coming from the north, and you want a hint of a "little Italy" feel without having to go further into the city, Edison Park is ideal! There are a few restaurants, a deli, and an Italian Ice place all on North Western Highway. And also as others have pointed out, it is very safe and clean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago