Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:52 AM

1,068 posts, read 918,813 times

Advertisements

Anyone else notice the Chicago rental market softening? I have properties in East Humboldt, Logan Square and Lakeview. Apartments are recently renovated in last few years. A few units opened up this summer and they were tough to rent. Noticed the quality of tenant looking declined and had to lower price a bit from last year (approx. 5%). Last year and the year before I could raise rents 5-10% YOY, had dozens of responses to my ads and tenants would snap up the property in days even if I was in the middle of renovating (and they could only envision final product).

Certainly I understand the apartment building boom downtown has increased the supply but just surprised how quickly that happened. I expect rental prices to decline further in 2018 when another 8,000 new units come online. Curious what other landlords / renters have experienced...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 11:16 AM

1,022 posts, read 775,723 times
The population keeps dropping too so less people here looking to rent as they are leaving and people are not moving too Chicago. I had a friend who was going to move here decide not too and now another one might decide not too move here. It is getting too expensive with all of these taxes and cost of living and add to that the violence that just keeps getting worse. Who wants to pay high rent to live with all of that! Especially considering apartments in the city are so small

Old 07-29-2017, 11:18 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,864,547 times
Lots and lots of apartments coming on stream over the next year on the north side. Construction sites everywhere. I think some developers will get burned as in 2008.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:26 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
The unit above mine has been vacant since April. No idea what's going on.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:27 PM

1,068 posts, read 918,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Lots and lots of apartments coming on stream over the next year on the north side. Construction sites everywhere. I think some developers will get burned as in 2008.
Not like 2008 but I definitely think some developers coming on late will get burned. However, they can build them like apartments and then shift them to condos easily. I've heard that's how they get financing from banks anyways so I think a lot of the 2018 activity will be apartment-to-condo conversions.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:11 PM

33 posts, read 38,800 times
I think maybe a lot of people moving to North center and surrounding area hard to find apartment this area studios 1100 one bedroom 1400

Vintage studio 1000 vintage 1 bedroom 1200

Old 07-29-2017, 11:09 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,142,770 times
Supply and demand. There is a glut of new developments popping up in West Loop, Logan Square, and Downtown. Huge developments with hundreds of units.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:53 AM

504 posts, read 497,416 times
I'm going to disagree with most people in this thread -

Your anecdotal evidence does not represent Chicago as a whole: https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...us/il/chicago/ & when considering specific neighborhoods w/in Chicago, the average rent was up much higher than my source. Yes, many people are leaving Chicago, but the North/Northwest/Close West all went up in population + increased in median income.
Many buildings are being built, but we need to catch up to typical building rates in the 70s/80s/90s that we fell behind due to the huge drop in construction post-crash. (Also note, the 70s-90s were a decline period for Chicago, so not necessarily the highest benchmark you can compare to).
People are not leaving Chicago unless you are trying to rent in specific black or hispanic areas.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:30 PM

33 posts, read 38,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
I'm going to disagree with most people in this thread -

Your anecdotal evidence does not represent Chicago as a whole: https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...us/il/chicago/ & when considering specific neighborhoods w/in Chicago, the average rent was up much higher than my source. Yes, many people are leaving Chicago, but the North/Northwest/Close West all went up in population + increased in median income.
Many buildings are being built, but we need.
These statistics are scewed Chicago's most dense population from downtown to uptown along lake has higher rent higher income.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 AM

529 posts, read 648,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Last year and the year before I could raise rents 5-10% YOY, had dozens of responses to my ads and tenants would snap up the property in days even if I was in the middle of renovating (and they could only envision final product).
That's why I moved out of the city. I moved into a tiny 1 bedroom in Ukranian Village in like 2010 for 1k a month. Three years later they were asking 1,400. Add the sales tax, various fees added to tv and cell phones and vehicle registration etc, I was getting priced out. They wouldn't budge on the price of rent so bought a place in the suburbs and I spend less on mortgage and escrow a month than I would have on rent for some apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago