Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,231 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am a 21 years old male and I am strongly considering moving to Chicago.

I need a few advices :

- How is the gay population in Chicago (generally speaking) ?

- How easy it is finding guys in their 20s (between 21-24 mainly) ?

- Are the bars and clubs located in Boystown worth it ?

- Is it complicated to date outside of clubs and bars ?

Any other kind of informations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,193,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarts View Post
Hello.

I need a few advices :

Large. Chicago is the third biggest city in the country, and the dominant city in the Midwest. Expect to see a lot of gays from the smaller metro areas in the region.

Additionally, gay nightlife is still dominated primarily by Boystown, but most gay people in Chicago don't live in Boystown anymore. I believe Edgewater has since taken the crown. It makes sense though. It's cheaper, the gay beach is there, and Andersonville is probably counted towards its total.

Quote:
Can't say I've had any problems. I moved to Chicago for college and I'm currently in my mid-20s.

Quote:
As opposed to what? The bars in Andersonville? Straight bars?

Quote:
Not really. That's where the apps come in. Tinder, for example, is classier if you want to actually meet someone and not just hookup immediately. I always found it interesting how it was essentially Grindr for my straight friends though.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 PM

24 posts, read 21,554 times
There is a gay beach?

Old 09-22-2017, 03:52 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,582,510 times
Hollywood beach.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:31 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABUV View Post
There is a gay beach?
Hollywood Beach. The beach itself is asexual as far as I can tell, but many of the people who utilize the beach are gay.

It's most likey "the gay beach" because of the large gay population in the community next to it, Edgewater, and because there isn't really a beach next to Boystown even though it's on the lakefront. There are also a good number of straight families who use Hollywood Beach, too, though. It's basically right where the north end of Lake Shore Drive turns into Sheridan Road. It's an easy walk from the Bryn Mawr or Granville stops on the Red Line. Or if you're coming from downtown, the 147 express bus gets you close and is often faster from around the Watertower near Michigan Ave.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:53 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,193,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Hollywood Beach. The beach itself is asexual as far as I can tell, but many of the people who utilize the beach are gay.

It's most likey "the gay beach" because of the large gay population in the community next to it, Edgewater, and because there isn't really a beach next to Boystown even though it's on the lakefront. There are also a good number of straight families who use Hollywood Beach, too, though. It's basically right where the north end of Lake Shore Drive turns into Sheridan Road. It's an easy walk from the Bryn Mawr or Granville stops on the Red Line. Or if you're coming from downtown, the 147 express bus gets you close and is often faster from around the Watertower near Michigan Ave.
The disconnect between the two sections of Hollywood / Kathy Osterman Beach is rather interesting. All the gays are down further by the pier with the rainbow painted pylon closer to Hollywood and LSD, but all the families are closer to Ardmore.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:11 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarts View Post
Hello.

I need a few advices :

Any other kind of informations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
The gay population in Chicago is very large and very diverse. It's one of the perks of having a large urban center.

Gay men in their early 20's are certainly plentiful. I actually happen to live in what I suppose could be considered a gayborhood, with many gay men and women (mostly older) as neighbors. I just had several major renovations done, and the renovation crew were almost exclusively young gay men in their early 20's

Boystown is, eh, you know. It's twinks. Easy sex. You can go out dancing and whatnot. It is what it is.

It is no more complicated to date outside bars here than anywhere else. Certainly much easier in many respects.

I might be very biased, as a straight woman who has always had many gay men in her life (as an aside, I have three gay uncles, one of which is my godfather). I am very active in the gay community as an ally, and I do a lot of pro bono work for the community.

I'm about ** close from just going full yenta on you, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: