Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 16,840 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Chicago in a month. My job is in the Loop by Millennium Park. I've narrowed my selection down to 2 apartments which are the same price and offer similar amenities:

Apartment #1 (Eleven40 Apts): absolutely perfect in every way except location (located in South Loop right on top of Roosevelt station and tons of grocery stores but minimal nightlife): https://bit.ly/2rXt13e

Apartment #2 (Gallery at Wells): great location in River North but smaller interior-wise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG_COG9VtA8

I'm a 22yo female who wants to go out, explore, meet people, shop, and eat good food and supposedly River North is THE place to do that. I was originally going to go with Apt#1 because I love the size of it and going anywhere is super easy as it's right on top of the station. I was going to walk there from my job on weekdays to explore/try new food and take public transit there on nights I want to go out.

HOWEVER, upon further reading apparently taking public transit at night is discouraged?? And apparently Roosevelt station isn't the safest station? I don't want to have to take cabs every weekend so now I'm tempted to just go with Apt#2 for the convenience of location.

My questions:
Is living in River North worth giving up 60sqft of space??
Is the area where Gallery at Wells located considered a good, walkable area of River North?

Thank you!!

Last edited by crazy_mushroom; 05-21-2018 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:04 AM

124 posts, read 108,805 times
Honestly, I would go for the unit in River North. South Loop is decent but it feels more shady at night for sure and there’s not a lot to do (as you say)
It’s a no-brainer really.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Do you want a more residential feeling area or do you want an area that feels more like Manhattan?

I agree with snilsson, but keep in mind that River North is SUPER touristy and busy. South Loop is pretty laid back and will be quiet after 6pm.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Do you want a more residential feeling area or do you want an area that feels more like Manhattan?

I agree with snilsson, but keep in mind that River North is SUPER touristy and busy. South Loop is pretty laid back and will be quiet after 6pm.
I'm definitely interested in that busy, Manhattan feel. The only reason I was considering the other place so strongly was because it had a dedicated bedroom/is overall bigger and because it's basically on top of Roosevelt station and Trader Joe's, meaning minimal walking in winter

I also just realized the link to the first apartment was broken so I updated it.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mushroom View Post
I'm definitely interested in that busy, Manhattan feel. The only reason I was considering the other place so strongly was because it had a dedicated bedroom/is overall bigger and because it's basically on top of Roosevelt station and Trader Joe's, meaning minimal walking in winter

I also just realized the link to the first apartment was broken so I updated it.
In that case, I'd definitely pick River North. It's one of the few neighborhoods in Chicago that has a 24/7 busy city feel to it. Lakeview is probably the runner up.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:41 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The relative ease that one can get from River North to other hot northside areas is a HUGE plus compared to South Loop -- it is kind of a no-brainer for anybody who might want to take in a Cubs game, head to comedy clubs in Old Town, see live theatre in Lincoln Park, head to hip new restaurants along West Randolph or Bucktown to make River North homebase...

The "size advantage" of the South Loop place really is a non-issue for a single renter, and frankly neither one of these units would make much sense for a couple who like any of the things that they would get with a true 1br+ den configuration like closets and baths that allow for two working people to get ready for work with some privacy...

Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,995 times
I lived in South Loop for a year at Michigan and Roosevelt. I loved the convenience of all the grocery stores right there and the Roosevelt Collection movie theater complex down the street along with all the shopping just a bit further. The Roosevelt station is not that sketchy at all...it gets a bad rap. There are always a couple of random homeless characters that hang outside that BP gas station...who are mostly harmless...but that intersection always has people walking around at all hours so I felt pretty safe...maybe for a female it would be different. South Loop is rather quiet after 9/10pm. Not a lot of wild bars where people are partying late. It's a great area if you want to be close to downtown...want something more quiet...and you're in your late 20's to 30s and over the bar scene but at 22 I would much rather be in River North. Live in River North now and go crazy and have fun...move to South Loop when you're older.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snilsson View Post
Honestly, I would go for the unit in River North. South Loop is decent but it feels more shady at night for sure and there’s not a lot to do (as you say)
It’s a no-brainer really.
Yeah, given all the information we've been provided, this is a no-brainer. River North.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,435 times
Definitely River North, especially at your age.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The relative ease that one can get from River North to other hot northside areas is a HUGE plus compared to South Loop -- it is kind of a no-brainer for anybody who might want to take in a Cubs game, head to comedy clubs in Old Town, see live theatre in Lincoln Park, head to hip new restaurants along West Randolph or Bucktown to make River North homebase...

The "size advantage" of the South Loop place really is a non-issue for a single renter, and frankly neither one of these units would make much sense for a couple who like any of the things that they would get with a true 1br+ den configuration like closets and baths that allow for two working people to get ready for work with some privacy...
The River North apartment is closest to the Chicago brown line station. Would you say getting to the other northside neighborhoods is just as easy with the brown line as it would be with the red line that the South Loop apartment is next to? Or is taking a bus preferred to get to these other locations? I'm coming from a place that only has buses, not trains so I'm trying to understand the public transit norms in Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago