Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-- I'm planning to live in Chicago for the last two weeks of June for a work assignment, but my budget restrictions and the scarcity of inexpensive short-term housing in the city have yielded few options so far.

One option I'm considering is a room in an apartment in the East Humboldt Park / West Town area: two blocks south of Division and three blocks west of Western. I've read other posts on this area, but the overall message seems to be mixed.

Is this neighborhood reasonably safe? I don't expect suburban splendor, but I don't want to fear for my life, either. I know the two weeks there will go quickly, but I don't want feel besieged by my surroundings.

Any advice is much appreciated....

Quijote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default you will be fine

The area you are looking at is okay. Two weeks will go fast. Be sure to check out garfield park conservatory and humboldt park if you can while you are in Chicago.

For two weeks, why not stay in a hotel? Where will you be working and will you have a car? If so, there are several inexpensive options just east of ohare. Hotels in the loop and near downtown will be more expensive.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
Thanks for your reply, Humboldt1. I'll be working at the Newberry Library on the Near North Side, so ideally I would live not too far away (or on a direct bus/metro line). I'm only going to have $600 in funding for my trip (all else comes out of pocket), so the room I mentioned seemed good at $50 per night. I'll also have access to a kitchen and wifi, so I won't have to eat out all of the time and pay rent at Starbucks for wireless. But if you think the area I mentioned is good for a couple of weeks, that puts me at ease. Thanks --Q

Old 03-19-2008, 01:46 PM

37 posts, read 386,857 times
yeah, that area's not all too bad. watch your back late at night i guess, but i've never had any problems. if you like to drink make sure you hit up the continental and the california clipper for an authentic neighborhood drunk experience.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
I would not live there if I could afford a better alternative.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM

35 posts, read 157,657 times
Default # 70 bus

It looks like you can take the #70 Division bus to the Newberry, but you have to walk a bit after (4 blks?). My beau lived in the same area for a short while and was okay. See #70 bus schedule at:

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/Bus/bus/70.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
The Division bus is not a very reliable one. I've ridden it for the past 5 years and if I had to depend on it regularly I would be late a lot.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:42 PM

8 posts, read 50,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Hi everyone-- I'm planning to live in Chicago for the last two weeks of June for a work assignment, but my budget restrictions and the scarcity of inexpensive short-term housing in the city have yielded few options so far.

One option I'm considering is a room in an apartment in the East Humboldt Park / West Town area: two blocks south of Division and three blocks west of Western. I've read other posts on this area, but the overall message seems to be mixed.

Is this neighborhood reasonably safe? I don't expect suburban splendor, but I don't want to fear for my life, either. I know the two weeks there will go quickly, but I don't want feel besieged by my surroundings.

Any advice is much appreciated....

Quijote
i live around there, and i dont recomend it unless u like the street life atmosphere. i like well i dont realy mind it but there are people who perfer not to be in such areas or "expose themselves"

Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 PM

51 posts, read 262,991 times
Quijote,

I live in the said neighborhood and although we have not had any issues, it is still a "gentrification in-process" kind of location. If you were buying a place, I would urge you to consider given the location and upside. However, for a short-term rental, you can find neighborhoods much closer to the train with stuff all around you. East Humboldt is not quite around you and the train + resturants are at least 4 - 6 blocks away. I would not want to deal with that for short-term, or if I was renting.

My two cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago