Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 02:11 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times

Advertisements

Good day, everyone. Every year in June I bring down a small group of bicyclists to show them around the city. Traditionally, we would either start in Bowmanville or by Wrightwood Park and head east until we reached the Lakefront trail. We typically go south to stop at one of the oases as well as Navy Pier/Millenium Park, and then go to Chinatown before heading back (either hitting up Little Italy or Boystown as we head back, depending on which street we take north). So, it's a nice combination of city street AND trail...I've been experimenting with a couple of other bike paths: One starting from the Yellow Line on Dempster all the way south to Bryn Mawr. The other runs from Gompers Park, and I took it as far north to Touhy Avenue. Forgive me, but I do not know the official names of these trails... I have also taken them on the 606 (which they liked!). Can anyone comment on their experiences with these trails and/or other trails. Keep in mind that we come from Milwaukee, so I am more interested in trails that we can start on the north end of the city. Thank you for your time. Sincerely- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 05:14 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Has to be the 606 bike path! I grew up in the 70s in DuPage so I always used the bike path there that was once an electric commuter train route, but the burbs look so boring so I LOVE the 606 path in the city!

Old 04-08-2019, 05:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
The North Branch Trail to the Chicago Botanic Gardens is nice. It isn't far from the Yellow Line Dempster stop. Just take Gross point Rd to Church/Beckwith west. Otherwise other than the LF trail most of the trails are tree tunnels and utility corridors. Not the best for sight seeing. Better to take road routes.

Not a trail but Sheridan Rd from Wilmette up to Lake Bluff is a very nice trip seeing the Bahai temple, all the mansions on the lake, and lots of restaurants in Highwood. On the weekends there are more bikes than cars.

Another nice ride is Elmhurst west through Wheaton. PM me if you want a route.

In the city no shortage of bikeable roads. You can tool around the north side, downtown, south loop, china town, near west side arround UIC...

Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 PM

prhill, I am definitely a fan of the 606. I had a pleasure to ride it when it first opened, and have watched those seedlings grow into trees over the last couple of years...MSChemist80, I had read about the trail along Sheridan Road. I would like to go see the Bahai Temple up close someday. And yes, those houses are awesome. I have had a delicious Italian meal in Highwood once (so I was able to cross that off my Illinois bucket list)…I ran it past my group. We may take the route by the Yellow Line to the end at Bryn Mawr, and go see the North Park Nature Center. And then head to Lincoln Square...Your city never lets me down. Sincerely- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 04-09-2019, 12:08 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,398,446 times
When the weather breaks I normally ride the Salt Creek trail. My starting point is near tthe Brookfield Zoo although I’ve read you can start from Elk Grove Village and head south.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:17 PM

noid_1985, the Zoo is itself is something I've never seen!! I imagine the trail is nice. Thank you for sharing... P.S. I was exploring Canaryville recently and the Librarian stated it was one of the smallest city libraries. I told her the library from Galewood is smaller!! You liking Galewood? I've taken my kids several times to your library/park. Very cute! Sincerely- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 04-09-2019, 10:48 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,398,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
noid_1985, the Zoo is itself is something I've never seen!! I imagine the trail is nice. Thank you for sharing... P.S. I was exploring Canaryville recently and the Librarian stated it was one of the smallest city libraries. I told her the library from Galewood is smaller!! You liking Galewood? I've taken my kids several times to your library/park. Very cute! Sincerely- Master Jay in Milwaukee
I absolutely love Galewood, beautiful bungalow homes and quiet streets not to mention I’m minutes away from downtown Oak Park and Johnnies Beef in Elmwood Park lol.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:51 PM

noid_1985, yes I'm a fan of your neighborhood. VERY close to an area that does not receive the same praise. I've driven west up North Avenue and the neighborhood drastically changes as you go further west of Austin Avenue. But yes, you're in a nice far west side of the city. I have taken my kids to Wonder Works across the street in Oak Park. Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago