Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 PM

15 posts, read 18,456 times

Advertisements

Hello World,

I'm planning to move for a new job in River North (401 N. Michigan Avenue). I currently live in Bronzeville and would like to relocate to somewhere for better commuting purposes for the new work location.

Things I'm looking for include:
- Rent under $1400 a month for preferably a 1 bedroom
- Within ~30 minutes commute via public transit (or biking preferably along the Lake Shore Trail)
- Street parking available
- Availability of running clubs/groups nearby or along the way between commuting and home. I'm aware of the Fleet Feet in Old Town.
- A reasonably priced gym nearby

Neighborhoods I'm currently thinking about include:
1. Old Town
2. Gold Coast
3. Lakeview East
4. Lincoln Park

Will parking be possible in these neighborhoods? I'm only planning to drive on weekends or evenings sometimes. It doesn't bother me to park a block or two away.

Other things to note about my preferences are that I don't like very dense areas and noise at night time.

Should I be aiming by search anywhere else? Thoughts/ideas?

Thank you in advance for helpful suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 08:46 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,187,047 times
What kind of runs/distance do you plan on doing? Marathon training, shorter fun runs, etc?

How are you defining "dense"? It's difficult to determine what's appropriate for you without understanding that? Are you just looking for areas fewer/no high rises and mostly walkups?

You might be able to find something within a short walk of the Sheridan Red Line stop, which puts you in Buena Park (south end of Uptown) or north end of Lakeview.

That also puts you pretty close to the Lakeshore Path, which gives access for biking along the lakefront and, if you're doing marathon/half marathon training, you won't be too far from the groups that meet at Montrose for CARA's training programs. CARA also sometimes has groups meet for speed workouts at the track by Cricket Hill.

FWIW, Universal Sole at Lincoln and Barry I think has group runs on Mondays, at least they did a couple years ago. That's not super close to the living location I'm describing, just bringing it to your attention. If you have a bike, it's easy to reach via roads with bike lanes such as Wells and Lincoln.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:15 AM

9,992 posts, read 5,695,637 times
Bronzeville to Mag Mile seems like an easy enough commute as it is. Hop on the Red Line (or Green Line and then transfer at Roosevelt), get off at Grand, you're practically right there.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Bronzeville to Mag Mile seems like an easy enough commute as it is. Hop on the Red Line (or Green Line and then transfer at Roosevelt), get off at Grand, you're practically right there.
Thanks for that. The reason I'm looking to move closer is that it's about 50 mins - 1 hr each way via public transit from where I'm at, and my threshold of commuting is not that high.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
What kind of runs/distance do you plan on doing? Marathon training, shorter fun runs, etc?

How are you defining "dense"? It's difficult to determine what's appropriate for you without understanding that? Are you just looking for areas fewer/no high rises and mostly walkups?

You might be able to find something within a short walk of the Sheridan Red Line stop, which puts you in Buena Park (south end of Uptown) or north end of Lakeview.

That also puts you pretty close to the Lakeshore Path, which gives access for biking along the lakefront and, if you're doing marathon/half marathon training, you won't be too far from the groups that meet at Montrose for CARA's training programs. CARA also sometimes has groups meet for speed workouts at the track by Cricket Hill.

FWIW, Universal Sole at Lincoln and Barry I think has group runs on Mondays, at least they did a couple years ago. That's not super close to the living location I'm describing, just bringing it to your attention. If you have a bike, it's easy to reach via roads with bike lanes such as Wells and Lincoln.

Fun runs and distance (marathon training) also.

Dense to me means noisy and busy all the time. I much like the density level (or lack there of) of Bronzeville, and how relatively quiet it is at night time.

I'm aware of CARA and their training groups, thank you for that tip though! I don't believe Universal Sole is in business these days as a quick google search indicated this, however it does seem they still have certain fun runs and races they put on: https://www.universalsole.com/

Old 07-17-2019, 08:34 AM

629 posts, read 545,040 times
you could sell your car and live in River north

Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,442,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriedz View Post
Thanks for that. The reason I'm looking to move closer is that it's about 50 mins - 1 hr each way via public transit from where I'm at, and my threshold of commuting is not that high.
You're in Bronzeville, and it takes you an hour to get to River North?

What?

Old 07-20-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You're in Bronzeville, and it takes you an hour to get to River North?

What?
From my place of residence, e. 41st & cottage grove roughly, to the new work location in the equitable building (401 n. michigan ave), so says google maps and after having done it once; it was fairly accurate during rush hour.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,860,037 times
15 min walk from the Merchandise Mart EL stop, so you could live in Lakeview along the brown line, maybe by Paulina or Addison stop - 20 min ride + 15 walk = 35 mins. That'd be better, right?

Old 07-28-2019, 05:47 PM

846 posts, read 1,402,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriedz View Post
Hello World,

I'm planning to move for a new job in River North (401 N. Michigan Avenue). I currently live in Bronzeville and would like to relocate to somewhere for better commuting purposes for the new work location.

Things I'm looking for include:
- Rent under $1400 a month for preferably a 1 bedroom
- Within ~30 minutes commute via public transit (or biking preferably along the Lake Shore Trail)
- Street parking available
- Availability of running clubs/groups nearby or along the way between commuting and home. I'm aware of the Fleet Feet in Old Town.
- A reasonably priced gym nearby

Neighborhoods I'm currently thinking about include:
1. Old Town
2. Gold Coast
3. Lakeview East
4. Lincoln Park

Will parking be possible in these neighborhoods? I'm only planning to drive on weekends or evenings sometimes. It doesn't bother me to park a block or two away.

Other things to note about my preferences are that I don't like very dense areas and noise at night time.

Should I be aiming by search anywhere else? Thoughts/ideas?

Thank you in advance for helpful suggestions.
So you're asking for a 1 bedroom under $1,400 in fairly dense areas as it relates to parking. You could also do a street off the main roads in Wicker Park (Damen blue to the 146 is about 30 minutes).

I wouldn't have the patience to deal with street parking in those neighborhoods. Especially finding street parking exclusively on weekends/evenings.

With that said, I live in Printers Row. My wife and I live in a large studio for a base of around $1,410; however, parking is extra. There's street parking, but it's limited. I work at Water Tower Place, it's about 2 miles, and I bike it frequently up Dearborn to Chestnut. We can find garage parking for as cheap as $100/month but not in our building. I can see a xSport out my apartment window and the building as a gym.

Hence, you may find what you like but amenities such as utility fee and parking may be extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: