Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 5,206 times

Advertisements

I live quite far away and I would be moving to the New Buffalo area if the commute to Chicago is reasonable. I need your advice.

After reading several other commuting threads I understand:

1. Amtrak has a nice train, but the schedule is not optimal. Also, there may be some delays.
2. The South Shore Line (Michigan City) has more trains, but they are a not as nice as Amtrak. Also, there may be some delays.
3. The driving commute in winter is tough.

Are there any commuting alternatives which I'm not considering here? Have any of the train or commute options changed for the better recently?

Many Thanks!

Dave

Last edited by DR_Samuel; 01-14-2020 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_Samuel View Post
I live quite far away and I would be moving to the New Buffalo area if the commute to Chicago is reasonable, and I need your advice.

As I understand it:

1. Amtrak has a nice train, but the schedule is not optimal. Also, there may be some delays.
2. The North Shore Line (Michigan City) has more trains, but they are a not as nice as Amtrak. Also, there may be some delays.

Are there any commuting alternatives which I'm not considering here? Have any of the train or commute options changed for the better recently?

Many Thanks!

Dave
I thought over the next several years they were looking to make a faster train on the Northern Indiana (forgot the acronym) line. I had a former coworker who lived in Long Beach and took the Michigan City train. They took a job closer to home because the hour and 45 minute train ride was a bit much after a couple years.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:43 AM

Thanks fusillirob1983!

Dave

Old 01-14-2020, 10:46 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
FYI--It's not the North Shore line. It's called the South Shore Line. The additions to train service referenced above won't help with a commute from New Buffalo. It's sort of a North/South route rather than East/West. (until the turn into Chicago of course).

Old 01-14-2020, 10:50 AM

Thanks rrah. I edited the original post to correct my error.

Dave

Old 01-15-2020, 06:50 AM

298 posts, read 579,610 times
Quote:
I live quite far away and I would be moving to the New Buffalo area if the commute to Chicago is reasonable. I need your advice.

2. The South Shore Line (Michigan City) has more trains, but they are a not as nice as Amtrak. Also, there may be some delays.

Many Thanks!

Dave
It depends how often you need to be in the city. There is a significant contingent of former Chicagoans who still commute (mostly 2-3 days per week) into the city. Amtrak is very nice, but yes, the arrival time into downtown is not conducive to work hours and it is delayed at times.

The South Shore Line is indeed looking to add another track and improve times from Michigan City to Downtown to an hour. This certainly will help from New Buffalo, depending on where you live. Many currently take the SS line in and just drive 10-15 minutes to the train stop. The other poster said it won't help people from NB. I disagree - it will help those who currently take it. It's not as comfy a ride as Amtrak, but it is totally doable.

Driving: yes, winter is iffy. This winter has so far been mild so not bad. If you take the Skyway, it is 55 minutes to Hyde Park, 60-ish minutes to downtown, 75 minutes to Burr Ridge in the Western Burbs.

SO, full time working in Chicago would be tricky, but 2-3 days per week is totally doable and, aside from commuting challenges, affords a great lifestyle in Harbor Country.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM

629 posts, read 543,220 times
Quote:

Many Thanks!

Dave
jesus dear god NO! DO NOT DO THIS!

Old 01-15-2020, 12:26 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
It's not a commute I'd make, either by train or by car, more than 3 times a week. It's definitely something I would never do 5 days out of the week, every single week.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:48 PM

Adele115 -

Thank you for the great reply and the time estimates!

Dave

Old 01-16-2020, 09:31 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post

Driving: yes, winter is iffy. This winter has so far been mild so not bad. If you take the Skyway, it is 55 minutes to Hyde Park, 60-ish minutes to downtown, 75 minutes to Burr Ridge in the Western Burbs.
Absolutely no way will it be that fast. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: