Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 11:30 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,267,221 times

Advertisements

ChiGuy2.5

Good morning. "Out of the mouth of babes..."

That is how we learn about the world. And as parents, hopefully we give them the guidance they need to thrive with strengtg, balance, and love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 03:27 PM

133 posts, read 68,432 times
As I approach my 70th year of life I find memories are like gold nuggets that provide not just warm moments in life when reflecting upon those wonderful memories, but it gives a definitive understanding of the contrast of the world that once was as opposed to the one that is now. Many feel put off by the attitude of anyone that brings to the forefront the world is truly NOT as organized, truthful, consistent as it once was. The point of reference I'm referring to is a time space, lets say early 50's to middle end of the 60's.

I was growing up in the South Side neighborhood that was known as Merrionette Manor or more simply in general Jeffrey Manor. Now try, for a moment, to imagine a neighborhood as close the the "Leave It To Beaver" one portrayed on the TV series of the late 1950's. It's hard for many to imagine a neighborhood currently overrun by gang banger murders and shootings, drug lords doing drive By's killing young teens and children. Poor school systems that have gangs hanging out doing public beatings (featured on Youtube no less).

Let's step back in time for a moment when I was growing up in said neighborhood. It was comprised primarily of both Catholic and Jewish families most often stemming from former servicemen that used the GI bill to buy a home to begin raising families in in a new development designed more in a layout like the suburbs were instead of the square designs of the typical city layout. The plethora of kids being born in the 50's was substantial and the schools were also new and well-staffed to cope with the burgeoning child population. Back then education in the Chicago Public School system was top notch. As a child we played in everyone's backyard. Played ball in the streets till dark when the parents called their kids home. We never worried about being harmed, nor was anyone ever back then, running free. Everyone looked out for their neighbors. I didn't recall any kid having unruly or unsupervised behavior. We all went to a public school a block or 2 walk from home (Luella) or a Catholic school for some (Our Lady Gate of Heaven). There were no such things as gangs, graffiti, theft or harm.

When I was 12 and 13 in 1966-67, I used to take the CTA bus downtown with a few friends, and we had a day of fun running around downtown. When I was a child, I could ride my bike all the way down to Lake Michigan and back never worrying about being accosted or being harmed. We never fought at school and towed the line with our studies. 95th street had a store development strip with everything you could need a mere block walk away. Restaurant, bowling alley, 5 and dime store, bakery, shoe store, hardware, you name it. You got to know the owners as well. Life was really good back then. As you well know it's a far cry from that now. In 1967 prior to my entry into High School my folk moved us up to Highland Park to join our back neighbors that were like family to us growing up. They had elected to move.

My parents hadn't considered it except were concerned about my entering Bowen High School, a school with a tainted reputation for unrest among students (black, Hispanic and whites getting into conflicts often). So we moved and I must say it was, for me, a wonderful experience. I entered music theory class there having been a guitarist since age 10 and got into a rock band. We had quite a mixture of members. I was Jewish, we had a black lead singer, and Puerto Rican drummer. We were like brothers and had this band through 3 years of High School. When I had heard in 1968 of the riots down 87th Street where the blacks tore up the entire number of businesses due to Martin Luther Kings killing. It became very apparent we were fortunate to having left when we did. The massive White Flight well documented in that area then began in earnest.

In 1978 I left the Chicago area forever heading out West to have a new life in my 20's. Met a gal, got married. I lived in 3 areas out West including the SF Bay Area for some time leaving there as well. But all in all, you couldn't GIVE me a home back in Illinois. It's a far cry from all I enjoyed or would wish to live in or with. I try to look back on those golden years of my youth with warmth, but tempered with the reality that that area is by NO means anything what it once was. Sad as it may be, everyone has different tolerances for a lifestyle that has its great concerns of how to stay safe as well as stable. I wish you all the best and hope your life decisions can guide you in good directions. Sorry for the small book of explanation.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:09 PM

This story sounds familiar.

Hmmmmmm, did you used to use a DIFFERENT name on here?!? lol

Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:04 PM

133 posts, read 68,432 times
Yup

Old 09-30-2023, 12:38 AM

UniversalTraveler,

I KNEW it!

You see why I'm good at my job!

I'm glad to see you (the new you) on here!

And wishing you well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago