Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 12:46 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times

Advertisements

Good day, city-data.com friends,

When I was very young, my father would take us to Chicago periodically. Solid Gold McDonalds. Ronnie's Steakhouse with the pink lemonade. Chinatown. Maxwell Street market.

One day, at the market, there was a man with no legs, in a wheelchair. Despite the discomfort a little boy might feel to see a person up close with no legs, my father gave me money to buy a porkchop sandwich with grilled onions, from that corner grill, and then to offer it to that man. And I did.

It's one of the reasons I learned to be okay to interact with people that might be very different than me, and to not be afraid to interact with strangers.

Years later I, as the father, would bring my 3 children down to Chicago, and THEY would help me offer food to people that were in need.

Last night, my father passed, after a 4 year struggle with his health. And I am glad, that before he passed, I thanked him for that Chicago Maxwell Street memory, and for teaching me about compassion.

Rest in peace dad. Look over my children... And Thank You, Chicago, for being a part of helping me learn certain life lessons, that I could then pass onto my children, and others.

Peace, and blessings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 01:12 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
So sorry for your loss Master Jay. Wish you and your family strength during this difficult time.

Nice story, I also ate many Maxwell street porkchop sandwiches back in the day. I also remember street vendors selling all kinds of "unusual" items.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:23 PM

flamadiddle, thank you for your kind words, my friend. We are holding onto the comfort of no more suffering for him. 4 years is a long time..... I don't even like to have a common cold, for 4 DAYS!

Yes, it's amazing the valuable lessons we learn in life, without even knowing we are learning something, until one day we understand.

Yes, you remember the smell of the grilled onions. You remember the guys with the "gold" chains up and down the inside of their coats!

But I draw the line when a guy shows me socks in one hand, and an x-rated movie called "Jungle Boogie" in the other!!!!..... And YES, I bought both from that guy! jk

Old 09-26-2023, 02:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Great memory and life lesson Master Jay. Thanks for sharing. I am sorry for your loss. My guess is that he gave you a lot of rewarding experiences to remember him by.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:21 PM

BigLake, thank you.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I can say I learned how to be a great father, from the highs and lows of life experiences.

As an adult, I also had so many great experiences in Chicago. And I will always treasure them!

Old 09-27-2023, 07:07 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
I'm so sorry you lost your dad. God speed.

I have some memories of mine as well (passed in 2013), as he was born and raised in Roseland. Raised me a Sox fan (probably a curse, lol)....

We would always park in the same spot to go to the games, next to a white house with a round bubble window, maybe 5-6 blocks from the park. I think it was around 31st and Parnell. I remember a lot of specifics about some of those games.

Glad you have some great memories to hang on to - you'll never forget them.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:34 AM

Kmanshouse,

Thank you, my good friend.

Here at work, we were listening to Styx, and I was just telling my co-worker that Dennis Deyoung was from Roseland!

As far as being raised a Sox fan, we won't hold your dad at fault; after all, he was a south south south sider!

And the Sox stadium is in one of my favorite neighborhoods, so I'm glad you and I both had opportunities to explore that area. I still go there, I think you know, for the Croatian parade/fest at St. Jerome Church.

Thank you again, Sir, for your kind and encouraging words and support!

I'd like to buy you an apple beer at Apple Fest on Saturday, should we meet up!

Old 09-27-2023, 07:20 PM

117 posts, read 84,306 times
I'm sorry for your loss & i noticed you were a kind soul from the beginning. I have a similar story of when me & my sister 1st went downtown. We had just gotten off the train & my sister noticed a pigeon was tangled up in something & she helped get it loose & set it free.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:12 PM

Kraftask, hello my friend.

Thank you for your supportive words.

And that story of your sister and the pigeon is amazing!

Thank you for sharing! Take care.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:51 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
This reminds me of last week when my 2.5 year old toddler pointed at a woman in a wheel chair and asked "Daddy, why is she riding that?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago