Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Chicagoland Train system is better ? Metra or CTA
Yes 22 88.00%
No 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:27 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times

Advertisements

I been living in the Chicago area (suburbs) for all my life, but it been a while since I have took the the Metra to Downtown Chicago. I'm planning to take the Metra Train to downtown more often to save on gas and parking.But I'm was wondering is the Metra Train safer than the CTA train systerm and have less mugging & assaults, since most of the Metra is in the suburbs ? If you say Metra is safer/better, then say yes on the poll, is Metra not safer, then say no on poll.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-02-2008 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Correct a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
I been living in the Chicago area (suburbs) for all my life, but it been a while since I have took the the Metra to Downtown Chicago. I'm planning to take the Metra Train to downtown more often to save on gas and parking.But I'm was wondering is the Metra Train safer than the CTA train systerm and have less mugging & assaults, since most of the Metra is in the suburbs ?
I can't believe you have to ask. Hands down METRA. CTA is on life support from day to day, too many hands in the pot stealing the funding, tiny uncomfortable seats, rough ride, poor service, no real timetable and on many of its lines it has everything from ghetto preachers to thugs selling CD's, telephone cords, socks, address books and anything else they manage to steal from Walmart or where ever else. Yet another reason I fled Chicago more than 20 years ago. CTA SUCKS.

Metra on the other hand comfortable, clean, reasonably priced and is rarely if ever is late and if they are it's usually for one of two legitimate reasons: inclimate weather or an accident. In the more than 20 years that I have ridden Metra I can count the times it's been late or not running.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
I'd say Metra is safer but I don't know how to answer your poll.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I'd say Metra is safer but I don't know how to answer your poll.
Say Yes if you think Metra is safer/better, and say No if Metra is not safer/better

Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
If you are afraid of businessmen working on their laptops, don't ride Metra.

And, JDubsMom, I feel ya, I'm getting really sick of getting mugged EVERY DAY on the Red Line. it sucks so bad. And managing to catch the same bus and train every day because for some reason I insist on leaving the house at the same time every day really gets my goat too

Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,780 times
I often take the Metra electric line through harvey into Chicago, it isn't that bad some of the cars are older. They aren't real safe on weekdays after rush hour. Otherwise there quick and reliable, after harvey they go through riverdale, then over by altgeld gardens and through the pullman area up through Hyde Park and kenwood and end in Downtown.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
I often take the Metra electric line through harvey into Chicago, it isn't that bad some of the cars are older. They aren't real safe on weekdays after rush hour. Otherwise there quick and reliable, after harvey they go through riverdale, then over by altgeld gardens and through the pullman area up through Hyde Park and kenwood and end in Downtown.
Its a funny thing you said you take the Harvey station, because that the one I take , since i live in the area. That was the reason I ask if the Metra is better. I know Harvey go through some rough spots in the city, but since a large number of professional people ride the Metra trains, it would be more safer. Thank you for your information; but is it still safe on the weekends ?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:38 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
I would say Metra is safer/cleaner/better.

However, it is kind of a strange question somewhat because the Metra is a suburban/exurban commuter train (as well as some far out neighborhoods like Edgebrook, etc., while the CTA is the "intraurban" for the city (above ground subway). So if you live in the city CTA would be practical, while Metra would not be.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:41 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
If you are afraid of businessmen working on their laptops, don't ride Metra.

And, JDubsMom, I feel ya, I'm getting really sick of getting mugged EVERY DAY on the Red Line. it sucks so bad. And managing to catch the same bus and train every day because for some reason I insist on leaving the house at the same time every day really gets my goat too
I understand.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:00 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
Its a funny thing you said you take the Harvey station, because that the one I take , since i live in the area. That was the reason I ask if the Metra is better. I know Harvey go through some rough spots in the city, but since a large number of professional people ride the Metra trains, it would be more safer. Thank you for your information; but is it still safe on the weekends ?
It is pretty safe on weekends, I don't get on in Harvey on the weekends because the parking in Homewood or Calumet isn't as full. But yes the rain does have it's rough spots particularly around the Pullman station and Chicago State, but the trains are well staffed to insure saftey. I'd say I get on in Harvey about once a month because it's impossible to get decent parking down at Homewood or Calumet, the Harvey station is actually relativley new compared to some of the other ones. But for weekends especially this time of the year it is safe with people heading to White Sox or Cubs games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago