Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,262 times

Advertisements

I currently have regular expanded basic RCN service. I am considering
getting their DVR box which costs about 15 bucks a month in my building.

I realize this must be sort of a stripped down version of TIVO without as many features. Any RCN DVR current or past customers here I would appreciate feedback on the DVR before I order.

p.s. they use Motorola DVR boxes

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
I had a DVR through Comcast, and they pretty much had the same features as Tivo....so I wouldn't say that it's a stripped down version. Just make sure you get a dual turner one (should be same price)

Old 08-05-2008, 02:28 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I have my DVR through Comcast and you'd have to pry it away from my cold dead hand to get it away from me.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,262 times
Default good

From what I've heard so far, it sounds as if you guys all really like the DVR from the cable company.

Are there any different opinions? Or is the consensus that cable DVR's are a good choice?

And has anyone specifically used RCN's DVR?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
I had RCN's dvr for a year or so (till I moved away), previously I had used Comcast's. Both were very comparable. The reason we switched from Comcast was that Comcast started to play really annoying commercials on the channel guide screen. The only problem we had was with the On Demand feature (where they have shows & movies either for free or you pay for), sometimes it just wouldn't work. The menu navigation and recording features worked very well and were easy to use & accurate. The only thing I would say with either RCN or Comcast is that if a show may be delayed for a sports game or something, you will often need to manually set it to record longer; I'm not sure, but I've heard Tivo does this for you; wasn't a big deal though.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,821 times
every once in a while it will "record" a show, but when you go to view it, it will say "one moment please..." for about a minute, then it will kick you back to the live tv. as far as i can tell that show is gone, it didn't get recorded properly, i don't know if it's a corrupted file or bad hard drive or what. whatever it is, it's infuriating, and when you call RCN support they send a "signal" to "refresh" that takes about an hour, and doesn't fix it. personally, i can't wait to get directv and an actual tivo, because this motorola thing is a piece of junk.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I have my DVR through Comcast and you'd have to pry it away from my cold dead hand to get it away from me.
Spoken like a true DVR owner. I love it, no commercials, I can record two programs at once on two seperate networks at the same time. Plus, I can record junk TV like "The People's Court" when I am at work. However, there is a problem with the DVR...

I don't watch as many of my DVD's as I used to, nor listen to as many CD's, nor go out as much as I used to (pre-DVR). things that make you go hmmm...

Last edited by At1WithNature; 10-31-2008 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
These responses amaze me. Do you guys all work for Comcast? I was in complete shock at what a piece of garbage my Comcast-provided DVR was. It worked ok most of the time but the features and user interface were ridiculously primitive compared to what is possible/easy to implement if one cared to take the time. I had a list of specific examples that I sent to Comcast at one point but I can't seem to dig it up now. I'll keep trying to give some substance to my opinion. Since I got rid of cable altogether a little over a year ago unfortunately I don't have these things in the forefront of my mind. Still, though, I would wait and solicit a few more opinions. I did absolutely _love_ the concept and basic functionality of a DVR, just that the their box completely sucked.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:46 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
These responses amaze me. Do you guys all work for Comcast? I was in complete shock at what a piece of garbage my Comcast-provided DVR was. It worked ok most of the time but the features and user interface were ridiculously primitive compared to what is possible/easy to implement if one cared to take the time. I had a list of specific examples that I sent to Comcast at one point but I can't seem to dig it up now. I'll keep trying to give some substance to my opinion. Since I got rid of cable altogether a little over a year ago unfortunately I don't have these things in the forefront of my mind. Still, though, I would wait and solicit a few more opinions. I did absolutely _love_ the concept and basic functionality of a DVR, just that the their box completely sucked.
My first one sucked too, you have to lie to them and say you have an HD hook up so you get the good boxes, not the old ones. the old ones are str8 garbage! the new ones have blue lights for the clock and what not. what i don't like about the DVR is all those messages that are annoying telling you about a boxing or UFC match.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,799 times
RCN DVR is by Motorola. It works well but runs warm and likely uses too much electricity. I want to figure out how to download the movies out of it and upgrade to a newer model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago