Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 AM

37 posts, read 103,985 times

Advertisements

Jesse69 started an interesting thread asking how tough was Chicago's job market. That prompted this thread: What career industries are better in Chi-Town? I'm finishing 2 business degrees one of which is marketing, but some of the responses in jesse69's thread stated that marketing was a bit rough. Some ideas I have for a career choice are real estate, human resource management, finance, and marketing. What business sector is hot in Chi-Town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
I don't have an answer to your question, but I had to comment. I, and I think a lot of locals hate "Chi-town". I'm sure others will correct me if they are ok with that name for Chicago. I'm not trying to start a fight, but that name is just yuck.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:58 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
Yeah, no one in Chicago calls it that.

To answer your question, finance isn't hot ANYWHERE at the moment. Real estate is a cool market, too. Marketing is a relatively hot ticket in Chicago, though. HR is big anywhere there's a lot of enterprise, so Chicago, again, qualifies.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 AM

37 posts, read 103,985 times
You're absolutely right regarding finance. I don't even know why I mentioned that one. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 AM

694 posts, read 2,016,111 times
Yeah OP what the heck is Chi-Town?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzelady View Post
Jesse69 started an interesting thread asking how tough was Chicago's job market. That prompted this thread: What career industries are better in Chi-Town? I'm finishing 2 business degrees one of which is marketing, but some of the responses in jesse69's thread stated that marketing was a bit rough. Some ideas I have for a career choice are real estate, human resource management, finance, and marketing. What business sector is hot in Chi-Town?

From what I remember, didn't jesse69 have a background in marketing AND engineering? That is also my background and there is a TON of work in Chicago in these fields (as long as you're highly qualified and networked). I've had to turn down so many jobs over the years in these fields.

p.s. I also hate "Chi-Town" and esp. when I hear "I took the red-eye from Chi-Town." YUCK!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
I'm fine with "Chi-Town", and hear people use it all of the time. Doesn't bother me much. I dislike "Windy City" more.

Anyway, I think many industries are suffering right now, especially real estate and finance. If the recession is prolonged, marketing will be next to suffer. This is a nationwide phenomenon. I'd just pick whatever interests you more. Marketing and finance are likely to pick up again before real estate. If you want to work in something recession-proof, look into medicine.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Default I've heard "Chi-town" many times..

... and it's usually meant in a complimentary fashion; i.e Chicago is "cool", "avant-garde", "fun", etc.

I've also heard extensive use of the word "Chicagoland", and I think it's appropriate, since the suburbs are so vast and deserve to be included in any area discussion.

There are many jaded East Coasters who think that the Midwest is fly-over country, but then when I ask "What about Chicago?", they reconsider, and say, "Yeah, Chicago is pretty cool...".

Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
... and it's usually meant in a complimentary fashion; i.e Chicago is "cool", "avant-garde", "fun", etc.

I've also heard extensive use of the word "Chicagoland", and I think it's appropriate, since the suburbs are so vast and deserve to be included in any area discussion.

There are many jaded East Coasters who think that the Midwest is fly-over country, but then when I ask "What about Chicago?", they reconsider, and say, "Yeah, Chicago is pretty cool...".
It's not that it isn't complimentary. It's just that it's kind of passe.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It's not that it isn't complimentary. It's just that it's kind of passe.
How can it be passe when Will Smith raps about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago