Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
j33 j33 started this thread

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times

Advertisements

So what do you guys think of guarding your shoveled parking spot with whatever broken down piece furniture you find laying around the house or nicked from an alley? Is this a time honored tradition to be respected or an anti-social behavior to be mocked?

I only ask because it is that time of year again, and I saw that a few have emerged from hibernation on my way to the 'el' this morning.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about. Here is a picture

http://www.rachelleb.com/images/2005_01_25/dibs3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 11:48 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,596 times
Default Man Law!

When it's more than a few inches--you better believe it. When you just spent an hour shovelling/snowblowing the caked up snow and ice so your mother (or whomever) can get to her car easily, people should respect that.

A wimpy 2-3 inches doesn't count. I think 6 inches is a good rule.

The only question is how long the dibs last for. Couple of days? Week?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
This whole concept is asinine. My car wasn't beamed out of its spot by Scotty up in the Transporter Room. I put in the same sweat equity as everyone else to get my car out of the snow, and that entitles me to park anydamnwhere I choose. I have no qualms about moving the lawn chair, ironing board, dinette set, satellite that fell from space, or whatever other piece of junk you put in "your" space, and putting my car in its place.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:21 PM

84 posts, read 1,103,876 times
Drover, you arent a true Chicagoan, everybody knows, you dont touch that furniture or even consider doing what you propose.

Pulling your car out of the snow is one thing, but shoveling a ten foot long eight foot wide rectangle is true sweat equity not pushing the pedal to the metal.

I am truly surprised at you.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:56 PM

I know lots of life-long Chicagoans (I find the phrase 'true chicagoan' nativist and creepy and will not use it) who think it is an asinine tradition (which is not confined to Chicago, I've seen it in Boston too), I just listened to a rant today from my coworker (who is from Bridgeport by the way, not that it matters) complain about how she hates the whole 'chair in the street thing', it is a subject that everyone has different opinions on, regardless of what part of town they are from.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 27,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I know lots of life-long Chicagoans (I find the phrase 'true chicagoan' nativist and creepy and will not use it) who think it is an asinine tradition (which is not confined to Chicago, I've seen it in Boston too), I just listened to a rant today from my coworker (who is from Bridgeport by the way, not that it matters) complain about how she hates the whole 'chair in the street thing', it is a subject that everyone has different opinions on, regardless of what part of town they are from.
I have to agree ~ I lived in Chicago for almost my entire life and everyone is kinda split on the subject.

I do recall, however, when I was married to my ex and not at all feeling 'bad' about doing it when I came home from work after a big snow, moving the lawnchair and having 'my parking space' free and clear...

Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 AM

I love pictures. Here are some more. Heh.

http://www.slats.org/archives/2007/02/15/185741.php

Old 02-16-2007, 12:37 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Ugly and tacky yes but an absolute necessity in Chicago and the inner-ring. I shoveled out a spot in front of my house earlier this winter and my neighbor zipped into my spot less than 20 minutes later. You know that isn't happening again. Some people feel embarrassed but it's all good. Go with the chair!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 PM

84 posts, read 1,103,876 times
You sure your neighbor isnt drover, lol..........

Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,589 times
i just moved up to the northside a month ago and had never heard of this concept. luckily no one in my neighborhood did that, but i did have to shovel maybe 4 or 5 spots before the week was over. i'm going to invest in some crappy furniture for next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: