Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,954 times

Advertisements

Hi,
This is my first post in this forum so thanks in advance for any and all advice!

I'm relocating to Chicago in the next couple of weeks and my office is located in Deerfield. I'm looking to buy and so far I really like the Lakeview area - it's close to the Lake and downtown, walkable, diverse and offers the vintage rehabs that I like.

My issue is that I want to live in an area where I can take the train to work.
Is there a relatively easy way to get to the Metra from Lakeview? Or is this just crazy talk and I should look elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
It is not "crazy talk" but the reality it that is NOT easy to take public transit OUT to any suburban work zones. There are ways it can be done, some employers offer shuttles, there are the Pace buses that kinda make it to SOME employment areas in the 'burbs, a few workplaces are walking distance from a Metra station...

With out know the EXACT location of the office it is hard to say hard /easy it is to rely on transit.

Even if it is possible expect MUCH longer travel times and INFLEXIBLE schedule -- bad weather can make it impossible to get out / get home.

The other factor is what are trying to achieve? I mean yes, there is much more fun stuff to do living in the City, but if you have to get up super early to make it to work and get home late after a lengthy commute just how much of that "fun night life" will you be able to soak up???

When it comes to commuting there are MANY compromises that have to be made...

Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Yeah, Lakeview is a piece of cake if you work downtown, but it's very hard for people in the city to get out to the suburbs unless they drive.

I don't have a car, and the suburbs to me are just a massive blob of unknown.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,954 times
Yes, I'm trying to weigh all the pros and cons of commuting. I'm less concerned about getting to and from the office from the train station since it's right off the Milwaukee North Metra Line.

I'm more concerned about the ability to quickly get to Union Station from the Buena park area.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaberna View Post
Yes, I'm trying to weigh all the pros and cons of commuting. I'm less concerned about getting to and from the office from the train station since it's right off the Milwaukee North Metra Line.

I'm more concerned about the ability to quickly get to Union Station from the Buena park area.
Just so you know, if you live in Buena Park you are not in Lake View, you are in Uptown. The dividing line over there between Uptown and Lake View is Irving Park Road. This makes a big difference when buying. If you are going to pay Lake View prices you better be living in the Lake View community area. You do not want to pay Lake View prices for living in Uptown. Of course, Buena Park is similar to parts of Lake View and I am not saying it is total crap, but you should not pay Lake View prices for an Uptown location.

Why do you have to go to Union station? Take the Irving Park or Irving Park Express bus (and then walk a block or two) to the Grayland station or take the Montrose bus to the Mayfair station.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 12-30-2008 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Why do you have to go to Union station? Take the Irving Park or Irving Park Express bus (and then walk a block or two) to the Grayland station or take the Montrose bus to the Mayfair station.
Ditto on that suggestion. Going to Union Station first would be a huge waste of time.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 PM

24 posts, read 58,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaberna View Post
Hi,
This is my first post in this forum so thanks in advance for any and all advice!

I'm relocating to Chicago in the next couple of weeks and my office is located in Deerfield. I'm looking to buy and so far I really like the Lakeview area - it's close to the Lake and downtown, walkable, diverse and offers the vintage rehabs that I like.

My issue is that I want to live in an area where I can take the train to work.
Is there a relatively easy way to get to the Metra from Lakeview? Or is this just crazy talk and I should look elsewhere?
I go out that way once in a blue moon. I often beat those who drive by about 10 minutes. That isn't always the case, though. FWIW...

Old 12-30-2008, 11:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Or better yet, cut at least half an hour each way out of your commute by living out by one of these stations. Yes, the neighborhood out there is not sleek and sexy like Lakeview, but the commute would be far less murderous, and you'd still have relatively convenient access to most nightlife destinations via public transportation. I live out near these stations and I still manage to take advantage of what the city has to offer even if I don't live right on top of all the action.

By the way, the Express buses suck. I have yet to see one do its run significantly quicker than a regular bus, especially during rush hour. They should convert them back into standard bus runs.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
By the way, the Express buses suck. I have yet to see one do its run significantly quicker than a regular bus, especially during rush hour. They should convert them back into standard bus runs.
I don't think you are saying that ALL express buses suck, so I want to clarify that the Lake Shore Drive express buses are awesome, in spite of the worthless X80.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
And by the way, if you want to get to Union Station from Buena Park, take the 136 express bus (peak hours only). But I don't know why you would want to do that to go north again on a Metra. As others have mentioned, it's much faster to just catch the train at a station on the North Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago