Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 PM

62 posts, read 201,417 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend (soon to be fiance) and I am moving from Austin, TX to Chicago. This is just a HUGE change...He is working on Michigan Ave. and I will be looking for jobs once we land. I have never lived in an "urban" city-one that you can actually walk to things and use public transportation. Oh sure, if you live in DOWNTOWN Austin, you can walk to stuff...but pretty much otherwise no. And we don't know about public transportation here...but anyway.

We have a lot of stuff-currently in about a 1200 SF duplex with a backyard, single car garage, AND storage shed. We have a German Shorthaired Pointer and a Chocolate Lab.

Where to even start looking to live? We want to live close to downtown but need a yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Need more info. Are you considering suburban areas? Any kids, or any on the way? (In other words, are schools important?) Renting or buying? What is your price range for either? How long of a commute time are you willing to tolerate? Do you both need access to public transportation or just the husband for work? Any specific attributes you're looking for in a neighborhood besides a place with a yard?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:38 PM

62 posts, read 201,417 times
Schools not important-no children, none on the way...only the furkids.

Not considering suburban areas...I really want to have the experience of living in a true "urban" city...one thing I am starting to understand about Chicago is that you can live in the city but not necessarily downtown and still be able to walk to entertainment, etc. So I guess that is an attribute I am looking for, besides a yard.

We will probably pare things down to just one car between the two of us. I am not sure what kind of commute I consider "tolerable". I now work in Downtown Austin, TX and we live approximately 9 miles from downtown. That drive can take up to 45 minutes some days, which I don't think is tolerable. But other days can be 20-30 minutes.

So much of this seems like comparing apples to oranges to me. We pay $850 a month for the place we have now-3 bedroom, 2 bath, with a yard and a one-car garage.

We are thinking our budget for Chicago rental to be about 1500-2000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago