Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
yeah Ive been looking at University Village but its mostly lofts that I found. I really dont want to live in a loft.
Noble square- I was under the impression it was not a good area
Ukrainian is something we are considering too or even west Humboldt Park. I am so upset there is so much crime surrounding the park because it is an amazing park! what a shame. Im really bummed out about it- I would have loved to do my jogging there.
West Humboldt Park is not where you want to be. Trust me and Humboldt1 on this one. Not sure if you are white but it is a heavily puerto rican and mexican area. There are also many african americans but no white people. It will be like I Spy trying to find one. You will not feel safe walking around after dusk and if you look like you stand out, which as a southerner, new to town, you will, you will be targeted. Noble Square is a walk in the park compared to W. Humboldt Park. Do not let the affordable prices intrique you. It is not worth it and will never gentrify until it gets a train line which will be never happen with the CTA budget shortfalls.

If you are considering any part of humboldt park I recommend the area off of Kedzie and Armitage by the Logan Square boundary line. There are many new construction condos there. They were built before the bubble burst and if and when things start to pick up again with the economy it is likely to begin gentrification because the California Blue line stop is walkable. That way you can take advantage of the park and not have to fear for your safety at every turn.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Again, what is your price limit?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
West Humboldt Park is not where you want to be. Trust me and Humboldt1 on this one. Not sure if you are white but it is a heavily puerto rican and mexican area. There are also many african americans but no white people. It will be like I Spy trying to find one. You will not feel safe walking around after dusk and if you look like you stand out, which as a southerner, new to town, you will, you will be targeted. Noble Square is a walk in the park compared to W. Humboldt Park. Do not let the affordable prices intrique you. It is not worth it and will never gentrify until it gets a train line which will be never happen with the CTA budget shortfalls.

If you are considering any part of humboldt park I recommend the area off of Kedzie and Armitage by the Logan Square boundary line. There are many new construction condos there. They were built before the bubble burst and if and when things start to pick up again with the economy it is likely to begin gentrification because the California Blue line stop is walkable. That way you can take advantage of the park and not have to fear for your safety at every turn.
thank you

I didnt know West Humboldt was so bad yikes

Is the park itself not dangerous? I would be seriously afraid to go in the park if the surronding area is bad.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Again, what is your price limit?
300 K is the max but I really dont want a mortgage that high for a 2 bedroom home.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
300 K is the max but I really dont want a mortgage that high for a 2 bedroom home.
You are better off buying a house than a condo. Trust me.

You can get a three bedroom in a decent area for that price or less.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 PM

The park is lovely. A lot of money was put into fixing it up and the lakes are beautiful in the summer. I have been there many times during the day and felt relatively safe. As with any area you have to be observant. It also suffers some of the same problems as Palmer Square just north east of there. You will often see homeless people and syringes/weed baggies around but you don't have to be too concerned with violent crime between 9-4 in the day.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Why a house?
I dont want an old house and I dont want to live in the suburbs.
I dont think we are bringing our cars- I mean trucks.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:

LOL, stop. Let the girl dream.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
The park is lovely. A lot of money was put into fixing it up and the lakes are beautiful in the summer. I have been there many times during the day and felt relatively safe. As with any area you have to be observant. It also suffers some of the same problems as Palmer Square just north east of there. You will often see homeless people and syringes/weed baggies around but you don't have to be too concerned with violent crime between 9-4 in the day.
syringes? Damn are you serious?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
syringes? Damn are you serious?
the city has been much better about cleaning up then they used to be so i haven't seen that very often last summer but it is a reality. just keep an eye on the pooches. my dog will eat ANYTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: