Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 AM

425 posts, read 1,437,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
It's a timing thing. End of story. Some people do it differently. Maybe we should talk about real issues like the bullpen, instead of focusing on Soriano's bouncy bounce.
I'm not trying to nitpick different little issues. I just thought maybe he had an injury in the past or something. Most of the time when you see an athlete with a quirk like that it comes from working around an injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
The little hop doesn't bother me, but the standing at the plate watching your "home run" does. Especially when it's not a home run.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The little hop doesn't bother me, but the standing at the plate watching your "home run" does. Especially when it's not a home run.
Yeah, it gets under pitchers skin when hitters get egotistical. It works on newbie pitchers as a strategy as long as 2 conditions happen... 1. Soriano actually does hit a homer. 2, He continues to hit homers.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:17 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
When it comes to professional athletes, all I care about it productivity on the job and value, if value matters. Note: Value is not a factor or concern for all teams. And, do not commit crimes or get into any major trouble.

That is all.

Most people do not know what professional athletes are like, or who is or isn't a "good guy." Many would be likely surprised at what they would find good and bad. So, if you stick to the basics of production, value, stay out of trouble, it works.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:07 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,451 times
I used to play ball and when I had to play outfield, I had a hopstep/skipstep too, but that was at the beginning of my run when chasing a hit. I can't imagine making that same move when catching a ball - it would be terribly awkward. I was going to say it may be something he developed as a kid when learning to play, like I did, but you never know with AS.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM

308 posts, read 757,912 times
I can't guarantee, but I'm pretty sure I read that he started doing that when he played the outfield. He used to be a second baseman and as an outfielder, he gets a lot more fly balls. The hop is just a timing thing, something he does to help him time fly balls. It's not showing up the other team or anything.

And also, let's not pretend like he's the only player who watches his home runs once in a while. I'm not condoning it, but he's not the only one by any means.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
I used to play ball and when I had to play outfield, I had a hopstep/skipstep too, but that was at the beginning of my run when chasing a hit. I can't imagine making that same move when catching a ball - it would be terribly awkward. I was going to say it may be something he developed as a kid when learning to play, like I did, but you never know with AS.

Again, this is what Soriano said about it:

"...Soriano began doing the hop when he made his conversion from second base to the outfield in spring training of 2006 with Washington...

"I came up with that because every time in batting practice [when] I was waiting for a ball to come down I'd drop it," Soriano said in an interview last year. "I said to myself, 'I don't want to wait for the ball to come to me. I'll get it.' "

Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

"...Soriano began doing the hop when he made his conversion from second base to the outfield in spring training of 2006 with Washington...

"I came up with that because every time in batting practice [when] I was waiting for a ball to come down I'd drop it," Soriano said in an interview last year. "I said to myself, 'I don't want to wait for the ball to come to me. I'll get it.' "
Ahh, I see. I wouldn't teach that to kids, but he claims it works better for him - I can't imagine how though. It makes him sound like some sort of spaz.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Ahh, I see. I wouldn't teach that to kids, but he claims it works better for him - I can't imagine how though. It makes him sound like some sort of spaz.
Have you ever gone to a game and sat in the left field bleachers?

He is beyond a spaz.

He is a space cadet.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 PM

425 posts, read 1,437,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

That actually makes sense in a weird way. Any other time in any sport, you are always coached to go meet the ball instead of waiting on it, so I guess this is just taking it one step farther.

Thanks AF, that actually answers my original question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago