Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why don't we use turn signals while changing lanes and pulling over on Chicago highways?
I did not know I have to... 0 0%
What is a turn signal? How do I turn it on? 1 4.00%
I am busy talking on the phone, don't have time for nonsence.. 3 12.00%
Why would I want other people to know what are my intentions while drive 65mph on a public highway? 5 20.00%
Turn signals are for wussies... Real men don't use them. 5 20.00%
Other (please explain) 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:37 PM

45 posts, read 70,656 times

Advertisements

TRUTH BE TOLD !! The turn signal is actually a condom holder. It is for all you dick heads out there that don"t use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,109,319 times
Makes you wonder how many lawsuits are in the court system due to people talking and using the cell phone.

Semi drivers who have little or no patience for an automobile is another frustrating hazard on the expressways.

Nothing worse than someone who is driving and you can clearly tell they are distracted or the person with road rage.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM

18 posts, read 35,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperH View Post
... If you use your turn signals on a road where traffic is either not flowing well, or flowing extraordinarily well - people will speed up to close the gaps.
Good point. I see this a lot.

What's crazy is that the use of turn signals (other than "afterthought" turn signals as somebody upthread expressed it) seems to be so atrophied that people don't even understand when *other* drivers use them. There's a place where I have to make a left turn off Western fairly often, and unfortunately there's no left-turn lane there. So when I'm approaching that turn I start signaling as soon as I can without being misleading--sometimes as early as two blocks ahead, because you can't turn left onto the street before my turn. I *still* have idiots hitting the brakes behind me when I slow down for my turn! Usually honking their horns!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:38 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,277,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
Good point. I see this a lot.

What's crazy is that the use of turn signals (other than "afterthought" turn signals as somebody upthread expressed it) seems to be so atrophied that people don't even understand when *other* drivers use them. There's a place where I have to make a left turn off Western fairly often, and unfortunately there's no left-turn lane there. So when I'm approaching that turn I start signaling as soon as I can without being misleading--sometimes as early as two blocks ahead, because you can't turn left onto the street before my turn. I *still* have idiots hitting the brakes behind me when I slow down for my turn! Usually honking their horns!
probably too distracted by texting or talking on their cell phone............

Old 07-24-2012, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
What I hate even more than no signaling is those idiots who only turn on the signal for 1 click when changing lanes. Why even bother??

Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,650,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRebound View Post
What I hate even more than no signaling is those idiots who only turn on the signal for 1 click when changing lanes. Why even bother??
How is any more than that necessary?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,229,521 times
My favorite is where you're at a red light and there's a car in front of you. The light turns green and then the person turns on their left signal. Meanwhile everyone behind you notices what's going on and they all pass you in the one lane on the right and cause you to miss the entire cycle as the moron in front waits through the light before finding a gap. Even better when that person doesn't advance a single foot into the intersection as they wait to turn left.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM

43 posts, read 117,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Driving in Boston, I learned that using turn signals is considered to be the equivalent of giving an enemy army advance notice of your battle plans.

A friend from Jersey made the same comment about my experiences on the Jersey turnpike where no one signals. He said like you, that if you signal, then the guy behind you in the next lane will speed up so you won't get ahead of him.

I notice the same behavior in Denver, when you signal they always speed up so you can't get in from of them. So I started changing lanes and signaling simultaneously now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago