Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:49 AM

371 posts, read 798,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Now, compare that to France, which has 60 million people stuffed into 210,000 square miles.
Sure. Population density of France, 297: Ohio: 277. Not a big difference and, as I said, the real issue is the end point travel between cities, not population density. We aren't talking about commuter rail,. We are talking about intercity transportation.

And you still haven't responded to my real point. Name two cities in the Midwest which are "thousands of miles" apart. Tick tick tick....

Quote:
Clever, though ad hominem and off-topic. When you have to make personal attacks in place of actual arguments, you know you've lost.
As I said, you are free to lobby your representative however you see fit.

But the amendment lost and the $4 billion for HSR was passed.

So who lost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Simple. China is economically just entering the industrial age- about 70 years after we did- from a largely poor agri based economy. Most people in China do not yet own private cars which is why they have lots of trains and busses moving people around. As China matures and becomes a richer nation and its people buy more and more private cars, less and less trains and busses will be needed to more them around.
Trains in the USA are dead. Yes, they made some gains last year but that was a fluke largely due to temporary sky high gas prices which have stabilized now.
Sorry. No. The US government has subsidized automobile and truck traffic and taxed and regulated rail since 1919. Not a level playing field.

And as for gas prices, you are living in the clouds if you think that gas prices are going to remain where they are. They are already up and will steadily increase over the next 10 years.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JETTA View Post
cellulosic ethanol from algae>
No biocrude is much more like regular oil crude. You can make gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and ethanol from it. The currently preferred process is by thermal conversion which is essentially doing what the Earth did to ancient plankton over millions of years in about a few hours. For example, 80% of corn crops is tossed out as waste (stalks and leaves). Those can be thrown into a reactor along with corn cobs, grasses and sawdust from construction to make biocrude. The technology has come a long way and people are still working on a method that uses even less input energy via algae.

The marketing potential for biocrude far outpaces ethanol and eventually regular crude. In the US alone we could produce 3.5 billion barrels of biocrude compared to the 2.7 billion of ancient crude we produce today (we import 4.7 billion). The USDA estimates that that the potential global supply of biocrude would be anywhere from 34 billion to 160 billion barrels per year. That more than covers the current consumption of ancient crude which is at 30 billion barrels per year. ExxonMobil has already approved a retrofit of one of their refineries to begin accepting biocrude. The age of the car will continue it seems, despite my dislike of it.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLeaphorn View Post
Sure. Population density of France, 297: Ohio: 277. Not a big difference and, as I said, the real issue is the end point travel between cities, not population density. We aren't talking about commuter rail,. We are talking about intercity transportation.

And you still haven't responded to my real point. Name two cities in the Midwest which are "thousands of miles" apart. Tick tick tick....

As I said, you are free to lobby your representative however you see fit.

But the amendment lost and the $4 billion for HSR was passed.

So who lost?
Who lost? Everybody. We have already-existing transportation infrastructure all over this country that could use some serious shoring up. Instead we're tossing money at new and ultimately redundant infrastructure instead of taking care of what we already have, courtesy of the train fetishists who apparently have the ear of Washington.

Our roads are crumbling, our bridges are on the verge of collapse, metro transit systems are in dire shape, but at least we'll be able to get from to St. Louis on a train about an hour slower than we can already get there on a plane. Yay for progress.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Who lost? Everybody. We have already-existing transportation infrastructure all over this country that could use some serious shoring up.
Sure. Just like we should shore up New Orleans which is built below sea level on a river delta because? I'm not knocking New Orleans but I am saying that the wisdom of people who built the town hundreds of years ago has been called into question by the inevitable forces of nature.

The National System of Interstate and Defence Highways was FIRST conceived in 1919. In 1919 people were still being treated with leaches, practical antibiotics and insulin had not been invented, and thousands of individuals in the US were dead of influenza. But, sure, it was a good idea, then, and, thus, must be a good idea in 2019.

Quote:
Instead we're tossing money at new and ultimately redundant infrastructure instead of taking care of what we already have, courtesy of the train fetishists who apparently have the ear of Washington.
New? You mean that the automobile was invented before the Iron Horse. Wow, I musta missed that in history class. Or, perhaps, the fact that the transcontinetal rail road was completed how many decades before the first transcontinental roadway? What is new? What is redudant.

Quote:
Our roads are crumbling, our bridges are on the verge of collapse, metro transit systems are in dire shape, but at least we'll be able to get from to St. Louis on a train about an hour slower than we can already get there on a plane. Yay for progress.
Sure, and there are missle silos in the local county park that are now tourist attractions. Not everything that we built in the last half century has proved to be necessary or even wise, including the 5.7 million miles of paved roads that costs about $11,000/mile/year to keep in good working condition, which is about $62 billion which is greater than the budget for the Highway Trust Fund which, also, does not take into account new road developent and construction.

Sure, you have me convinced that roadways are our future. You also have me convinced about the notion of regression towards the mean, perhaps, unwittingly (excuse the pun).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago