Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,883 times

Advertisements

Even though I live in the South Loop and really like it, I agree - you sound more suited to Hyde Park. It's very neighborhood like; it's very mixed in terms of race, yet people (for the most part) get along great; it's right on the Metra track so getting to and from the city is easy, almost as easy as if you lived in the South Loop anyway - and it has some of the very same amenities of the South Loop, such as being close to the lake. I'd go with Hyde Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Definitely the area from 59th to 60th (ie the Midway) is Hyde Park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Technically it start at 60th. Hyde Park boundaries are clear enough from 51st to 59th.
The boundary between Hyde Park and Woodlawn is 61st street. I, too, at one point lived in Hyde Park south of the Plaisance and 60th street.

But that is being overly technical. Hyde Park is extending itself down to 67th street as we speak.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The boundary between Hyde Park and Woodlawn is 61st street. I, too, at one point lived in Hyde Park south of the Plaisance and 60th street.

But that is being overly technical. Hyde Park is extending itself down to 67th street as we speak.
It's 60th. See Neighborhoods of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and " + theTitle + " (set it to view the neighborhoods.)

Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
I'm of two minds, whether to call the South Loop "North Hyde Park" or "New Hyde Park".

Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
It's 60th. See Neighborhoods of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and " + theTitle + " (set it to view the neighborhoods.)
Why does everyone accept Wikipedia as divine truth?? It might be correct but I would check it out elsewhere. I live just south of 61st and like Manigault always thought of 61st street as the boundary. Otherwise the south side of 60th would presumably be woodlawn. That just seems wrong. Certainly many people are not aware of this.

It is being overly technical, but that kind of analness about city issues is in the spirit of this forum.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Quote:
Why does everyone accept Wikipedia as divine truth?? It might be correct but I would check it out elsewhere. I live just south of 61st and like Manigault always thought of 61st street as the boundary. Otherwise the south side of 60th would presumably be woodlawn. That just seems wrong. Certainly many people are not aware of this.

It is being overly technical, but that kind of analness about city issues is in the spirit of this forum.
No, its not overly technical. The university owns all the land between Stoney and Cottage from 61st to 57th street, except for some private houses between 57th and 59th. Woodlawn begins past the campus, technically, logically and in the 'feel' of the area.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
No, its not overly technical. The university owns all the land between Stoney and Cottage from 61st to 57th street, except for some private houses between 57th and 59th. Woodlawn begins past the campus, technically, logically and in the 'feel' of the area.
Interesting. Are there even official boundaries to community areas, or is it more lore and convention? If the latter I agree Woodlawn begins at 61. I also agree that the university is expanding fast toward the graveyard at 67th.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,188 times
The Community Areas were set by UofC researchers decades ago, and they defined them using US census tract boundaries. Census tracts basically never change. Later the City adopted the Community Areas, as they are quite useful for planning and demographics. This system is one of the longest lasting and most robust in the world. The neighborhoods are more fluid, but are set by usage and convention. As one can see by consulting the official city map, many other online maps and http://www.bigstickinc.com/images/large_chicago3.jpg this one if you want to buy it, Hyde Park the neighborhood and Hyde Park the Community Area end at 60th. Also, I and a lot of other people believe it ends at 60th, making it true.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im4edu View Post
(I'm from a small town and prefer some peace and quiet at times).
In that case, I'd echo Hyde Park. It really feels like a small town -- albeit one where "astrophysicist" is a common job title -- standing apart from the city around it. Even as a student, I was amazed at how easily I got to know some neighborhood families just by walking around. Recently, I was amazed to hear some 40-year-old friends of mine who grew up in Hyde Park reminiscing over stores that are still there -- the Valois, the toy store, etc.

However, that recommendation assumes that you'll be working in the Loop. I've commuted from Hyde Park to the Gold Coast (just a mile north of the Loop) and it's not fun at all, since traffic comes to a standstill headed through the Loop. I can't imagine the pain of commuting to the west/north suburbs from there.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:

All you have to do is look on google streetview map. The boundaries are clear. Midway separate Hyde Park from Woodlawn on 59th. Woodlawn really starts at 60th

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago