Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times

Advertisements

Youth murders: Chicago's lost generation

Nothing particularly novel, but it is interesting to see how Chicago's violence is being covered by foreign media outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 09:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
dang, even britain knows about this.that s. side map was disturbing as heck though. smh

-mas23-

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,447,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
that s. side map was disturbing as heck though. smh
Within 8 miles of Obama's house isn't really a matter of concern though. That may sound terrifying to the Brits but 8 miles is a world of difference in Chicago.

That quote the guy from Black Star made that all Obama would have to do to stop the killing of black youths is to say he wanted it to stop is also completely foolhardy. Obviously both democrats and republicans do not want children to be slaughtered but there are a myriad of issues that need to be addressed, starting first and foremost with the family unit, what a gang offers vs what an education offers, the fetishization of guns and violence, drug addiction, etc. I don't want to take a page out of Gioo's book but there is a huge entitlement problem in Chicago's poorer communities when it comes to violence. Everyone wants the problem solved but no one wants to admit their own contributions to it.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,078,629 times
Thank you for this post. I enjoyed watching the video.

I thought the guy interviewed at the beginning made two inaccurate statements: that Obama's home is the "epicenter" of the violence. That shows a lack of understanding of CHicago. Hyde Park is more the edge if anything, certainly not the epicenter. Also, that all Obama had to do is say "I don't want it to happen anymore" and it would go away. that latter comment seemed hopeless naive to me. How do other (non-trolls) feel?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
I watched the video too. While I can appreciate the anger and desperation one might having living with youth violence, ajolotl put it well to say that the comment made by the guy in the beginning of the video about Obama being able to 'make it all go away' was hopelessly naive. I remember people making similar comments when Harold Washington was elected mayor, it didn't happen then and Obama being president won't stop it now, and if you think otherwise then you are deluding yourself.

The president have very little power over the street-by-street aspect of urban life (or rural life) in the US, that has to come from the community and the local authorities.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post

The president have very little power over the street-by-street aspect of urban life (or rural life) in the US, that has to come from the community and the local authorities.
Although if you listen to his comment again, you realize that these are the people he is depending on actually changing things. They have the power now, they're just waiting around for Obama to say "make it happen". Once he says that, they'll make it happen. Tragically, Obama has not given the order.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Although if you listen to his comment again, you realize that these are the people he is depending on actually changing things. They have the power now, they're just waiting around for Obama to say "make it happen". Once he says that, they'll make it happen. Tragically, Obama has not given the order.
I'm afraid I don't understand. What sort of order could Obama give that would suddenly make gangbangers stop shooting people?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand. What sort of order could Obama give that would suddenly make gangbangers stop shooting people?
I think it's "Stop, guys. Seriously."

But said behind a presidential podium, it has a much more powerful affect.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:37 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,078,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I think it's "Stop, guys. Seriously."

But said behind a presidential podium, it has a much more powerful affect.
It might be powerful but wouldn't change anything. He knows that. It is probably why he doesn't say it.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM

355 posts, read 912,106 times
Im sure at some point obama has commented on crime, it didnt help. If obama says stop it wont matter. The people on the corners and in the streets of depressed cities america didnt vote for obama (the gangbangers, d-boys, pimps, ect ect.) and while im sure they are happy and proud he is president now, saying stop will change nothing, problems of this city, and or any other crime ridden area of america will be solved with improved education and improved family units, nothing else. The lack of these two things is the reason people are dying and living in poverty.

I know many a d-boy or other people who wear the obama gear and say change is here but do not intend to stop doing exactly as they please, some maybe but not a majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago