Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 AM

21 posts, read 89,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
3.5 miles not 2. That's from 22nd St., the south end of the South Loop, to 51st St., the north end of Hyde park. If you want to argue that 26th St., the south end of the Near South community area is the south end of the South Loop (which nobody as far as I know actually does) you get 3 miles.

What else you have wrong?

A simple correction was fine. There was no need for the insult. Regarding the other information...I provided weblinks so bcandy could check it out for herself. I didn't know that people on this forum were so insensitive. Facts should be stated, but you can do so in a more tasteful way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:25 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestYoungCouple View Post
A simple correction was fine. There was no need for the insult. Regarding the other information...I provided weblinks so bcandy could check it out for herself. I didn't know that people on this forum were so insensitive. Facts should be stated, but you can do so in a more tasteful way.

Questioning the credibility of someone who doesn't understand such Chicago basics as the street system is reasonable enough. Pardon me for acting so boldly as to question you, I was unaware that doing so was an inherantly insulting and distasteful action.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/Irishtom29/470.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM

13 posts, read 128,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
You'd be fine in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, too, though I do admit it is a bit homogenously white.
That's a bit of an oversimplification. To be fair, though Lakeview residents may be overwhelmingly white, they are by no means homogenous. The neighborhood is very diverse in culture and lifestyle and is far from your grandmother's cookie-cutter white. The large gay/lesbian/transgender population does a good job of keeping the neighborhood from being too "normal" and maintaining an open and welcoming atmosphere. And the welcoming part brings me to the fact that the population that hangs out in the neighborhood is indeed very racially diverse, so that despite what the census says (as far as residents), it doesn't really feel that white. At least in my corner of the Lakeview. Many african-american south siders come up to Lakeview to hang out because they feel more comfortable being themselves here than they do in their own "non-white" neighborhoods.

As a minority, I can certainly understand wanting to feel welcome and comfortable in your neighborhood, and that's one reason I chose to live in Lakeview. But at times it gets a little silly dividing up the city along lines like this, and I wonder if it just perpetuates the segregation in our city. The gay/straight neighborhood boundaries have gotten much more blurred in recent years and I hope the same could happen with the racial boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: